Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi WBF Members,
Need your help ?

Regarding the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp, Kuzma intially made such a clamp for the XL DC and Stabi M TTs which was approx. 2kg in weight.

Then Kuzma introduced a lighter Outer Ring Clamp (item ref: 180503) for their other Stabi TTs (Stabi R & Stabi Referece 2) and would also fit the XL DC and Stabi M, but only weighed approx. 1.3kg

The lighter (approx. 1.3kg) Outer Ring Clamp replaced the heavier (2kg) which is now discontinued (according to the Kuzma website).

Does anybody know why Kuzma discontinued the heavier Outer Ring Clamp which was specifically made for the XL DC and Stabi M ?

Does the lighter Outer Ring Clamp give a lower performance than the heavier one when used with the XL DC TT ?

What benefits to the sound do the Outer Ring Clamps contribute ?

Are their disadvantages to using these Kuzma Outer Ring Clamps on the Kuzma XL DC TT ?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Does anybody know why Kuzma discontinued the heavier Outer Ring Clamp which was specifically made for the XL DC and Stabi M ?
Kuzma decided that optimal clamp weight is 1,3 kg and fits all his turntables.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Kuzma decided that optimal clamp weight is 1,3 kg and fits all his turntables.
Ok, then I guess using the 2kg Outer Ring Clamp on the XL DC will have no additional sonic benefits to the newer 1.3kg Outer Ring Clamp ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ok, then I guess using the 2kg Outer Ring Clamp on the XL DC will have no additional sonic benefits to the newer 1.3kg Outer Ring Clamp ?
What I find interesting is why didn't / don't Kuzma sell both Outer Ring Clamps i.e. the heavier 2kg one for the high mass Kuzma TTs (XL & Stabi M) and the lighter 1.3kg one for the lower mass Kuzma TTs (Stabi R, Stabi Ref 2 etc) ?

I am thinking from a technical engineering prospective that the 2kg Outer Ring Clamp was thicker (material thickness) than the 1.3kg version and maybe also had a wider rim which may have caused issues with owners clashing their cartridges that have quite wide bodies with the inside of the rim at the beginning of a record, thus risking possible stylus damage ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing