KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
2nd order below a couple % has been shown to be inaudible. I think what people who don’t like SETs they have heard are reacting to are the ones with inadequate iron in the output transformer that leads to significant distortion also through the midrange. You can hear this also with a number of PP tube amps as well. You don’t hear it with OTLs or SET where the transformers are not saturated.
SET's have a particular sound/distortion.....full stop.

Reactions: Folsom

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There are many generalities in life. For example, all Ice cream is cold.

If you don't think that there is a particular tone that SET amplifiers amply you are kidding yourself.
Ummm...no...full stop.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I prefer to melt it a bit and have it semi liquid. Serious.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Jesus Christ this website is getting old. Time to take a break.

Why do you tell us how your horns don't have a particular sound because they're as transparent as electrostatics?
Again never said they have no sound of their own but they are nearly as transparent as ribbons and stats... having owned several brands of each tech and having friends with many more I have a pretty good idea about what I speak...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: sujay and Lagonda

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Jesus Christ this website is getting old. Time to take a break.

Why do you tell us how your horns don't have a particular sound because they're as transparent as electrostatics?
Furthermore, I stated that they were a one of the first horns I had heard with coloration low enough to satisfy ribbon/stat ears.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

If you don't think that there is a particular tone that SET amplifiers amply you are kidding yourself.
Everything sounds like its parts.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One person's minor coloration is another person's major coloration.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
The orangutans are great...

Each concert on them sounds different and stages differently and just flows if run on a 10 to 15w transparent set.

In the same room I heard [some considerably more expensive speakers]. On the first track it was more impressive, more heft. Then all concerts were staging the same. with Devore's each one was changing. It was like a different stage, different venue each time. Much preferred the Devore.

When you can hear the acoustics change from one recording to the next, the speaker+ room combination is allowing the venue cues on the recording to dominate over the "small room signature" cues of the playback room, something easier said than done. I tip my virtual hat to John DeVore. Arguably this aspect of spatial quality is what distinguishes the elusive "you are there" presentation from the more common (but still highly enjoyable) "they are here" presentation.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Ya, it’s actually measurable. They have a distinct character.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
SET's have a particular sound/distortion.....full stop.
Imagine someone connects the output of a SET amplifier to an excellently measuring solid state unity gain amplifier. Do we still have SET particular sound?

Reactions: Argonaut

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Imagine someone connects the output of a SET amplifier to an excellently measuring solid state unity gain amplifier. Do we still have SET particular sound?
Unnecessary and insulting post. If you see a post you do not like, report it and the admin team will deal with it but please refrain from these types of posts moving forward. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: christoph

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Excellent question. A now inactive WBF member, Esldude, did an experiment similar to the one you suggested. He put a Spectral amp at the output of an SET amp (I don't remember the exact technical configuration of how he did it), and the result was indeed still an SET sound, at least according to his own report.

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually, with quick googling I found Esldude's report on another forum (he once had posted this on WBF as well). I was wrong in my recollection, it was a VTL in triode mode, but here it is:

Scroll down to the fourth post.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Actually, with quick googling I found Esldude's report on another forum (he once had posted this on WBF as well). I was wrong in my recollection, it was a VTL in triode mode, but here it is:

Scroll down to the fourth post.

Thanks. We have been promised of such amplifier by conrad johnson - 300b SET with a MOSFET buffer - but it never showed up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing