Joker | Trailer / Starring Joaquin Phoenix, alongside Robert De Niro

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
One last thought....I go to movies to be entertained so I watch all genres of films and have drama as my favorite with comedy a quick runner up. So I pay attention to all of the roles and like to make my prediction. Last year when I watched Ravi Malik play Freddie Mercury I had the same immediate feeling that he was going to win.

What I saw today was that Joaquin Phoenix didn't play "Joker"...rather he became the Joker

Phoenix looks as if he has lost 50 pounds for this role as he is all skin and bone.

As the saying goes, you never talk about an Indian until you've walked a mile in his moccasins. Seeing this movie I guaranty that you will come out having felt his descent into insanity because it was there that he found happiness and people noticed him. Amy wife said, "it is a very sad story"

As for graphic violence there are but two scenes and there have been worse depicted in the movies.

For me it was the acting. He was the Joker.

Reactions: NorthStar

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Joker has several dance scenes but one in particular was so good that we all wondered if it were really Joaquin Phoenix. It comes after Arthur Fleck morphs into Joker and does his dance on a very long outside staircase. I think it was him but again Phoenix is absolutely believable in this role

Don't get me wrong Heath Ledger played a different Joker. This movie is about the transformation of Arthur Fleck into The Joker and what happens afterwards ties the Gotham story together

Joker dance scene: What is the Joker dance? Joaquin Phoenix explains all

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-dance-joaquin-phoenix-interview-arthur-fleck

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Better Joker than Heath Ledger?

No.

Was it more impressive acting? Yes, but not a better Joker.

I’ve heard DC is trying to reboot dark and realistic. That’s a neat idea. But here’s the thing, this Joker is a little too broken down to compete with any Batman. He’s a little too pathetic. It pales compared to what Ledger’s purpose was as the Joker.

This is an amazing movie. But despite feeling so flawless, the plot is a little bit excessive in trying to make you empathize with him. It’s a bit excessive with the nurture conditioning. He lacks what it takes to begin a competition with Batman. He’s more just sick than a psychopath. That’s why as a stand alone it’s fantastic, but he’s no Heath Ledger Joker. He’s just a mentally ill guy that realizes he prefers killing and chaos, being off the meds, and a series of events he falls into makes it all a bigger deal.

For me a lot of it was just really sad and depressing. And what’s kind of disturbing is you’re like... “well, shit, I guess killing people and burning the city is better than the life he lived... anything is better.” There isn’t any ambition to admire, you are thankful for anything that is a way out of where you were at with the character.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
One guy put it like this: If I was walking @ night alone in an alley in "Gotham City" I would rather encounter Heath Ledger as the Joker than Joaquin Phoenix as Joker. I would be scared to death by the later.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Wow, but then I can relate because of the way some people described him.
I sure want to see the film, for everything you've said...including the music score (très important pour moi dans les films)

Joker transformation: How much weight did Joaquin Phoenix lose for Joker?

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...ight-did-joaquin-phoenix-lose-for-joker-movie

I dit read what he had to go through some time ago; very tough.

Joker has several dance scenes but one in particular was so good that we all wondered if it were really Joaquin Phoenix. It comes after Arthur Fleck morphs into Joker and does his dance on a very long outside staircase. I think it was him but again Phoenix is absolutely believable in this role

Don't get me wrong Heath Ledger played a different Joker. This movie is about the transformation of Arthur Fleck into The Joker and what happens afterwards ties the Gotham story together

Joker dance scene: What is the Joker dance? Joaquin Phoenix explains all

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...-dance-joaquin-phoenix-interview-arthur-fleck

I posted a link earlier on the music score, and how important for Joaquin Phoenix it was to infiltrate his character the way he did ... post #18 (it's a must read ... IMO)
? https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/joker-joaquin-phoenix-the-bathroom-dance-musical-theme-1202178602/

Plus the tunes ...
? https://www.what-song.com/Movies/Soundtrack/103097/Joker

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
One guy put it like this: If I was walking @ night alone in an alley in "Gotham City" I would rather encounter Heath Ledger as the Joker than Joaquin Phoenix as Joker. I would be scared to death by the later.

Well that person must simply be uncomfortable with people that have mental illness. Heath Ledger is way scarier. First he’ll use anyone, in any way. Secondly he can fight very well, has drive. Phoenix is provokable, but also not very smart, not skilled, but you do have the downside that he doesn’t have a mission that would possibly make Ledger ignore you, were you pointless to him.

I’m not sure it’s really worth comparing them a lot. They certainly are not the same Joker. My reason to draw comparisons is mostly about how it’s a bit lack luster to see Phoenix being a little too far down the rabbit hole for being a Batman villain. Again, I’m not even sure if he ever will be. They might call it good with this single, which as a story on its own is extremely strong, award worthy as Steve says.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I still have to see Joker yet ... but according to few, including Steve, Joaquin Phoenix is the best Joker. I still think the majority are with Heath Ledger, but that majority haven't seen Joker yet, I included. But true too, many who have seen both still say Heath Ledger is the best.
...Perhaps less dramatic, less persuasive, less convoluted, less troublesome (role character)?
_____

Bonus:
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/chernobyl-soundtrack-composer-hildur-gunadottir/

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Here’s the short of it.

Phoenix: very mentally ill, no significant ambition. Essentially has a fetish for killing, and has a high desire for attention. Delusional.

Ledger: psychopath, ambitions high as humanly possible to win the ultimate battle of the wills however possible, including projecting high levels of seemingly crazy. Takes pride in his work. Sees truths so well it’s scary.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Latest estimate for this last weekend (better than previous estimate; plus $14.2 million) ...
Domestic: $96,000,000
Foreign*: $152,200,000
Total worldwide: $248,200,000 (previously it was $234 million)

* That's without China, where the movie is unlikely to be released because of its bleak, nihilistic themes.

Even without China Joker could make over $1 billion worldwide.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Here’s the short of it.

Phoenix: very mentally ill, no significant ambition. Essentially has a fetish for killing, and has a high desire for attention. Delusional.

Ledger: psychopath, ambitions high as humanly possible to win the ultimate battle of the wills however possible, including projecting high levels of seemingly crazy. Takes pride in his work. Sees truths so well it’s scary.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/g28998958/best-joker-actors-performances-ranked/

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My son saw it yesterday as well, and I think he would agree with Steve's description. I will go see it myself at some point. This ought to be one for the books.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Just got back from seeing Joker.

Definitely dark and disturbing. Excellent performance by Joaquin Phoenix of a horribly maladjusted character......hope he can shut that off.

Not my favorite type of movie but a good movie. Some cliches.....but it is based on a comic book character after all.

Otherwise still digesting it.

Edit - almost forgot to mention that it was interesting how it was tied back in to the Batman origin story.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Here, the official domestic numbers ...

Total Lifetime Grosses (3days)
Domestic: $96,202,337 (38.7%)
+ Foreign: $152,200,000 (61.3%)
= Worldwide: $248,402,337

That is pretty amazing, more than any prediction made before.
We'll see what kind of legs it will get ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing