Joker | Trailer / Starring Joaquin Phoenix, alongside Robert De Niro

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Another guy a little too in love w his mum?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Final trailer ...

• One recent review: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/10/07/todd-phillips-joker-is-no-laughing-matter

This film is making the news all over the Internet, even the Army was mentioned.
The majority of people didn't even see it (it's not in theaters yet) and there's more talk about it than if people would have seen it.

Anyway I won't talk about something I know nothing about, but I did read a lot about, and seen few clips, and listened to some serious and concerned citizens.
But it's nothing new; every six months or so there's a film creating drama even before its theatrical release. In one way it's free Internet publicity, good for the buzz, for curiosity, for box office revenues, ... and in another way it raises some sensible cultural questions in the society we live in today...and I highly respect that. It's a fine balance and I'm no expert on this matter. I try to see both sides of the fence with a smart view.

If you've seen John Wick: Chapter 3 with the multitude of kills by guns, knives, book, ...it didn't have discussions like Joker is having right now. So in that way it's strange a little. But in direct relation to a past incident it's no laughing matter...that I fully understand too...I put myself in the shoes of those parents.

There is Rambo, Avengers, ...millions of films with violence, guns, sex, exploitation, etc. ...it's all part of America's fabric since America was discovered and conquered. Looking @ America's history from few hundred years ago, it wasn't a picnic.

And we can say the same for any country and continent.

Films are to entertain, in all forms, shapes and ways. And each country they have their own censorship and set of different values and beliefs. Where we live and what we do in our home turf is our private business, where others live and how they do is their own culture. Within our own it's a choice we all make, respecting all for all. Brief we are a free democracy of super intelligent people with the utmost respect to all our people from all ages and blood.

It's only a film but it seems to be a powerful film ... In America we love our films.
...All type of films. We love films from all over the world. We love comic books big time, basketball, hockey, baseball and barbecues.

Many actors played the Joker (from Batman comic books) over the years in front of our screens.
Heath Ledger is probably the best ever from The Dark Knight.
Now comes another great actor playing that role in its own movie. Yes it's only a movie for most, and for another audience a movie is like a schoolbook.

A good solid education is way more valuable than all the gold and diamonds of the world.
The Joker knows that, he knows the power of love in everyday's life.
It's only a film but a film can be a powerful thing ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I could have easily "infested" this thread as this movie is the talk of the town. ...Figure of speech (infested).
I didn't see it but I've talked with others who did and not.
I've also read quite few reviews and articles.

The average is pretty good...75 and Oscar is mentioned often.
Some reviews praised it even much higher...95.
Other reviews not so much...25.

Then last article/review I've read just recently ... it grabbed my interest ...
? https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...cel-mental-illness-todd-philips-a9144101.html

Some of the things he mentioned I'm 100% of his opinion (in regards to comedies) because I've said the exact same (on another forum) few days ago. And I really doubt that he've read that other site. So I'm with him about the film director complaining that comedies today are harder to make. They are not; the film director is simply short of imagination ...
So it was a little spooky reading his take; just on the same wavelength writing the same.

But like I said I did not see the film yet so my mind has a lot more to grasp yet ...

If anyone saw it please do share your comments. I know it won't be for everyone, and in particular the adult feminine side. I know a bunch who simply won't even dare to go there.
And on the other hand I know other adults 20 years seniority over me who are intrigued by some of the well praised reviews and are tempted, and for a fact as I spoke to some of them.

Joker is the big talk right now playing @ the theaters. ...On the movie front.

There are other movies too; some I've watched, some coming up...for another thread another time if and when in the mood ... but when it's quiet there's nothing tragic or fantastic to truly talk about. The real movie playing in real life has much more plots and twists ...
And now ... Joker.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, afterwards you can tell us all if it looks like there's a problem w guys who decide to stay and live at home w mum.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Final trailer ...

• One recent review: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/10/07/todd-phillips-joker-is-no-laughing-matter

This film is making the news all over the Internet, even the Army was mentioned.
The majority of people didn't even see it (it's not in theaters yet) and there's more talk about it than if people would have seen it.

Anyway I won't talk about something I know nothing about, but I did read a lot about, and seen few clips, and listened to some serious and concerned citizens.
But it's nothing new; every six months or so there's a film creating drama even before its theatrical release. In one way it's free Internet publicity, good for the buzz, for curiosity, for box office revenues, ... and in another way it raises some sensible cultural questions in the society we live in today...and I highly respect that. It's a fine balance and I'm no expert on this matter. I try to see both sides of the fence with a smart view.

If you've seen John Wick: Chapter 3 with the multitude of kills by guns, knives, book, ...it didn't have discussions like Joker is having right now. So in that way it's strange a little. But in direct relation to a past incident it's no laughing matter...that I fully understand too...I put myself in the shoes of those parents.

There is Rambo, Avengers, ...millions of films with violence, guns, sex, exploitation, etc. ...it's all part of America's fabric since America was discovered and conquered. Looking @ America's history from few hundred years ago, it wasn't a picnic.

And we can say the same for any country and continent.

Films are to entertain, in all forms, shapes and ways. And each country they have their own censorship and set of different values and beliefs. Where we live and what we do in our home turf is our private business, where others live and how they do is their own culture. Within our own it's a choice we all make, respecting all for all. Brief we are a free democracy of super intelligent people with the utmost respect to all our people from all ages and blood.

It's only a film but it seems to be a powerful film ... In America we love our films.
...All type of films. We love films from all over the world. We love comic books big time, basketball, hockey, baseball and barbecues.

Many actors played the Joker (from Batman comic books) over the years in front of our screens.
Heath Ledger is probably the best ever from The Dark Knight.
Now comes another great actor playing that role in its own movie. Yes it's only a movie for most, and for another audience a movie is like a schoolbook.

A good solid education is way more valuable than all the gold and diamonds of the world.
The Joker knows that, he knows the power of love in everyday's life.
It's only a film but a film can be a powerful thing ...

You say this;

Then this;
1570376830807.png
1570376880754.png 1570376994943.png 1570377041270.png
============================================================================================

Love you like the brother I never had! :p

On a serious note, the movie looks messed up and as everyone says DC makes "dark" superhero movies. This one looks black hole dark.
Its kind of cool to watch people turn on their own but...as George Carlin said so wisely, "If you don't like whats on, turn the channel".

If you don't like/agree with it, don't pay to see it and don't take your kids to see it, pretty simple. Take the kids and see Abominable. Its all about choices, make yours wisely and if others make different choices its not in your right to stop or ban someone from making a different choice.

That being said I have no intention on seeing it unless the reviews here say something different than what I am expecting.

Enjoy the flick all y'all!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/4/...aquin-phoenix-incel-violence-dc-comics-batman

Hollywood held accountable for their product, unfortunately never going to happen.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'll wait for Steve to reply. I went last night. The theater I went to was a Regal with the Dolby something another experience. The sound system was annoying as hell, especially the vibrating seats, but the super contrast screen was kind of amazing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Steve, I can imagine that would be way more disturbing than any amount of violence on screen.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
By the numbers ... strictly ...

This is the biggest October weekend opening @ the movies, ever.
Approximately $93 million domestic (just three days).

Budget: $55–70 million (estimate)
Box office: $234 million (global estimate)

The budget; first I thought it was closer to $60 million, but in this movie business it's very hard to know the most accurate figure.

The box office revenues for this weekend (estimate worldwide); me I'd say $240 million total, including $95 million domestic. ...Domestic we won't know officially till later tomorrow (afternoon). ...Global (foreign) numbers we won't know officially till about a week or more from now...those numbers always take more time...it's much more complicated with so many foreign exchanges and how each country compile their results (on average it can take anywhere from six to sixteen days).

From Mojo (estimate) ...
Domestic: $93,500,000 (40.0%)
+ Foreign: $140,500,000 (60.0%)
= Worldwide: $234,000,000 (3 days)

So roughly, Joker budget was about $60 million, and in only three days it made four times its budget in revenues ...$240 million globally.
Business wise (true financial investment) it's a profitable film right from the bat, in just three days.
Is it going to beat Avengers: Endgame's record of near $2.8 billion global? No way, but very good showing nonetheless so far.

Those numbers so far speak for themselves, the number of tickets sold is representative of people buying them and seeing Joker @ the theaters. And that is sure part of the film industry, the art and culture department of the society in the world of movie entertainment.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Different type of numbers; Joker movie rating scores from various sources ...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/ (was 9.4 @ one point)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019 (was 77 @ one point)

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/joker (was higher @ one point, sixties if not seventies)
https://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/joker-m100128557 (was 76 @ one point)

Those ratings have lost some of their lustre in the last 24-48 hours.

* Joker is no ordinary film when looking @ varrious type of numbers...financial and movie rating scores.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
From THE NUMBERS ... https://www.the-numbers.com/news/

"Joker opened with an outstanding $39.9 million on Friday, topping the previous biggest October day record of $33.08 million set last year by Halloween. This film does have weaker reviews and only a B plus from CinemaScore, which means its word-of-mouth won’t be as great. Additionally, a larger percent of its opening day came from previews, which is another sign it likely won’t have great legs. That said, it would really have to stumble to not get at least close to $100 million over the full weekend. It is not doing quite as well internationally, but close enough that it could earn enough during its opening weekend that it will cover its entire production budget. It will break even before Halloween."

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Different type of numbers; Joker movie rating scores from various sources ...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/ (was 9.4 @ one point)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019 (was 77 @ one point)

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/joker (was higher @ one point, sixties if not seventies)
https://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/joker-m100128557 (was 76 @ one point)

Those ratings have lost some of their lustre in the last 24-48 hours.

* Joker is no ordinary film when looking @ varrious type of numbers...financial and movie rating scores.

It's rated 73 on mrqe.com which is a decent score but not great

I'll let you know what I thought in a few hours

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Joker's music composer and cellist ... Hildur Guðnadóttir

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/joker-joaquin-phoenix-the-bathroom-dance-musical-theme-1202178602/

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just got back from seeing the film with my wife and daughter. For a movie of this sort I always find my barometer with the 2 of them. There were signs outside the theater warning parents not to bring their kids to this movie because of the content

So let's cut to the chase.Simply put the three of us loved the movie. You need some Prozac first to sanely watch the movie but for my eyes at this point in the year I haven't seen a better role by a lead actor as Joaquin Phoenix nor have I seen better editing, directing or cinematography

If Phoenix doesn't win for this one there's no justice

As my wife said, it is a very said story as it unfolds. We see one man who is mentally unstable with a neurologic condition where he laughs incessantly descend into the depths of depravity and we feel as if we have walked entirely with him.

We see an angry society who turns there back on this man who only want to make people laugh. It shows the moment he snaps and crosses the Rubicon. For him he reaches his valhalla as he becomes truly psychotic.

There are a few twists in the movie that I won't give away when it happens in Gotham City , you get my gist

The director of this film should be nominated as all he has done heretofore has been comedy such as the Hangover Trilogy. For him to do a movie as dark as this takes sheer genius and to watch the acting of Phoenix makes it so much more believable

As for the soundtrackin the film it too should get a nod as it was perfect for the film. How better an ending during the rolling credits to hear "Send In The Clowns"

The movie is the perfect length at 2 hours and there was no watch looking or dozing off

I have to admit based on what I have read here I was worried about what I was going to see

Man was I wrong. This so far for me has been the best film of the year

DeNiro was terrific in it but Joaquin Phoenix had the role of his career

Definitely a big thumb's up

Yes there is graphic violence but this is seen in almost every movie now. The story was superb tying everything together as it was the catalyst for Joker (Arthur Fleck) descending into the depraved and believable state in which we saw him

There are still 3 months left and all of the best films are due out. The only one that I find a must see is 1917. Joker IMO is a “don't miss”

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing