Judy

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
JUDY Official Trailer (2019) Renée Zellweger, Judy Garland Movie HD

Judy Trailer #2 (2019) | Movieclips Trailers

It's good that October is here because finally good movies are surfacing. Previously I have stated that Joker has checked most of my boxes and for me there hasn't been a movie better

Judy starring Renee Zellweger was not a great movie but definitely a movie worth seeing.For me this film checked my box for Best Actress.This is not only a movie about Judy but so also a movie of Renee and her portrayal of Judy. What made it even more special was that Zellweger did all of her own singing. This is character acting once again at it's best. Not only did she nail the singing but so also the body animation, her stride, her dress. Bottom line for me was just as Joaquin Phoenix didn't play the joker but became The Joker, so also did Renee Zellweger become Judy. Her voice was better than good.It was excellent.It's just that it wasn't the big pipes Judy had

Forget everyone else who is in the movie. The movie is Judy and Renee IS Judy

The story unfolds totally unexpected to me as it chronicles the last year of her life. It shows her returning to her hotel in which she and her two younger kids live (Lorna and Joey Luft).Problem is her bills are in arrears and she was evicted and finds herself homeless with her 2 kids. Her earlier years are depicted in a short but graphic way in which her every move is dictated by Louis B Mayer who gave her stimulants in the morning to keep her awake and to keep her anorexic so she could play Dorothy. He gave her sleeping pills at night. The scenes from her past told us what we already knew. Her drug and alcohol addiction got her shunned in the USA. She could only gain work in the UK where she was loved. Downside was leaving Lorna and Joey with he ex husband (#4) for 6 months. It is these 6 months which make up the story as she dies 6 months after the end of the movie

It's another sad biopic watching someone's addiction bring them to the bottom until ultimately taking a fatal accidental overdose at age 47

In between it'll Renee being Judy. Her makeup was excellent as was her wardrobe. However it was Renee nailing the once in a lifetime role. Her strut, her laugh, her look etc etc were enough to say that at this point oof the year this film should d be nominated fr Best Picture, Best Director , Best Lead By a Female Actor

Unless something better comes along Reneee gets my nod for Oscar)

Im sure many from Downton Abbey all be nominated

Definitely worth the watch, especially if you were a Judy fan.

How many times have each of us watched The Wizard of Oz either, with your parents, alone, you with your kids and you with your grandchildren.The glimpses into her earlier years are shocking, all for $125 per week and working as long as 80 hours per week and being allowed little to nothing to eat

I compare her voice to that of Sinatra and Streisand as well as her daughter Liza who has also struggled with her demons

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I tend to find movies about the 'demons' of chemical dependency tedious and repetitive. It's all the same, whether it's in the gutter, the executive suites, or Beverly Hills.
I am always surprised by Renee Z, though. She seems so timid as an actress, but when she gets her back teeth into a role she runs with it and makes it special. So, I'm not surprised the movie would be worth seeing nonetheless.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It wasn't a great film and a very short part in her life, to wit her final year

It seems Hollywood is finding money to mine not only in super hero movies but so also in biopics as there seems to be a new one every week

For me it was not all about Judy but rather all about Renee in the role of her life.

I would really like to see her nominated and win

BTW, prior to this movie if you look at current photos of her she seems back to the Renee we all knew in Jerry Maguire. She attributes her huge weight loss and change in body facies to an illness she had. (I thought that illness was cosmetic surgery)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

See Judy when she was 14 (before Wizard of Oz). Incredible!

Larry

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
My wife and I went to see Judy and we both enjoyed the film.

I've had mixed feelings about Renée Zellweger over the years but she was outstanding as Judy Garland.

Edit - your review was excellent, Steve.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing