John Mellencamp - Mono Recording!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just had this put aside for pickup next week when I'm in the area again (picked up the new Audio Fidelity pressing of Kate Bush' Hounds of Love instead (I'm a fan, what can I say)).

Most interesting pressing in MONO and recorded on Vintage equipment (see link).

John Mellencamp -&.jpg

http://www.mellencamp.com/discography.html?dd_id=44
Click on ALBUM DETAILS to get the recording process story.

John

Anyone know why his name over the years has gone through three renditions. First it was John Cougar Mellencamp, then John Cougar and then John Mellencamp or sometimes even Mellencamp

Actually, first it was John Cougar, a name given to him by some manager/A&R man who thought Mellencamp was too strange. He wanted his name back, and after a few hits and a bit of control of his own career, he transitioned to John Cougar Mellencamp. Then after that was established and everybody seemed to understand who was who, he dropped the Cougar.

I haven't heard this but it goes a bit too far for me. I like stereo. When done well, it is the source of imaging and sound stage and enhances the illusion quite a bit IMO. I have both the mono and stereo Beatles re-masters and prefer the stereo most of the time. I even like modern recording done right, though as I mentioned the other day, 2008's "Just a Little Lovin'" by Shelby Lynn is all recorded on vintage stuff, even tube mics, and it is a lovely, intimate recording.

P

He'll always be John Cougar Mellencamp to me...has a nice ring to it!

I'm buying this record purely on the basis of the interesting approach he took for it. I find it refreshing to see artists doing things away from established standards. I'm a JCM fan, so I have no doubt this LP will resonate somewhat with me, although in some ways I don't even are if it does. The interesting part is how it was recorded and how that translates through my system. I'm very much looking forward to picking this up.

John

He'll always be John Cougar Mellencamp to me...has a nice ring to it!

I'm buying this record purely on the basis of the interesting approach he took for it. I find it refreshing to see artists doing things away from established standards. I'm a JCM fan, so I have no doubt this LP will resonate somewhat with me, although in some ways I don't even are if it does. The interesting part is how it was recorded and how that translates through my system. I'm very much looking forward to picking this up.

John

Perhaps it's an age thing; most of my record collection was recorded this way! :)

P

Perhaps it's an age thing; most of my record collection was recorded this way! :)

P

Perhaps! ;)

I only have a few MONO recordings, so this is certainly of interest to me.

John

Perhaps! ;)

I only have a few MONO recordings, so this is certainly of interest to me.

John

Now I feel that I should clarify. Most of my recordings are not mono; most were recorded in the analog, old-school approach, many very simply with a band playing live in the studio into just a few microphones with minimum overdubs, etc. But most are stereo. I'm not that old.

P

In DA HOUSE!:D

001..JPG

John

I bought this LP a couple of weeks ago and I think it sounds horrible. I understand he wanted to go for a vintage vibe, but there damn sure was better recording gear available in the era he was trying to mimic. I think T-Bone Burnett is overated. He claimed to come up with some new magic process to make CDs which he introduced with another of Mellencamp's albums and it was going to sound just like being in the studio. Ahem. Me thinks that T-Bone has driven John down some dirt roads.

I've not had a chance to listen yet, but I will over the next few days (bought about 6 Lp's today). Once I do, I will let you know how I feel about it. Sorry to hear you don't like it though....bummer when that happens.

John

I own and enjoy this LP. It really benefits from a dedicated mono cartridge to a degree greater than most mono records I own. That said, I have to agree that the sound is not that great. Mellencamp's voice is not what it used to be. I do like the compositions and found comparing the different acoustical properties at the three recording sites very interesting. It's clear to me that the famous sound of the early Sun Records LPs is largely a function of its unique acoustic properties, particular with bass which has a unique sonic signature. A worthwhile, but flawed effort in my opinion.

jazdoc-I wondered if a mono cartridge would somehow breathe life into this recording, but apparently not. It pretty much sucks. I have other mono recordings that sound great on my system so I didn't think that a mono cartridge was really the answer. Too bad John didn't record with an Ampex 350 mono set-up instead of a basically commercial grade Ampex 1/4" machine. He could have pulled off a stunning mono recording if more thought was put into it. Apparently T-Bone was going for a crappy vintage sound instead of a great vintage sound.

mep --

Hey I didn't mean to imply that this sounded great with a mono cartridge; only better! : - )

As a mono afficianado, I did have high sonic hopes for this one, but have to agree it falls well short of its potential. Aaah, the joys of vinyl!

jazzdoc-You didn't imply that it sounded great with a mono cartridge. You simply stated it benefited from using a mono cartridge but it was still flawed. I think I understood you and I think you nailed it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing