IsoAcoustic Speaker Isolators Vs Speaker Spikes / Component Isolators Vs Premium Products Like Critical Mass Systems

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
IsoAcoustics is currently running ads on YouTube promoting their Gaia speaker isolators based on a panel of ordinary people detecting the difference in sound enhanced by their product.

Who has directly compared the use of their products to the common use of speaker spikes or other methods ?

As well, how do IsoAcoustic component isolators compare to premium products like Absolute Sound's Product of the Year ~ Critical Mass Systems ?

Lastly, how does one know when to incorporate 3 or 4 units under a component ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your real world experience and expertise.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Michael, I directly compared IsoAcoustics Gaias under my Zu Definitions 4 spkrs to Arya Audio Revopods. First impressions of the Gaias were extremely promising, especially in the bass performance, where the Revopods seemed lacking. But continued comparison showed the Gaias imparting a one-note bass, the Revopods much more variety and naturalness. In the end, things really weren't that close, the Revopods were much more even, balanced and natural. The Gaias imparted too much of their own character.
This was a real tale of needing to stick with a comparison beyond initial impressions, which totally favoured the Gaias.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Hi Michael, I directly compared IsoAcoustics Gaias under my Zu Definitions 4 spkrs to Arya Audio Revopods. First impressions of the Gaias were extremely promising, especially in the bass performance, where the Revopods seemed lacking. But continued comparison showed the Gaias imparting a one-note bass, the Revopods much more variety and naturalness. In the end, things really weren't that close, the Revopods were much more even, balanced and natural. The Gaias imparted too much of their own character.
This was a real tale of needing to stick with a comparison beyond initial impressions, which totally favoured the Gaias.
This is exactly what I was determined to find out. Your input is very much appreciated. I was hoping, I was not just going down the path of previous posts, but seeking enlightenment as to cause and effect. I extend my gratitude for your kind reply . . .

1641248990089.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Abolive

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
pikMichael, I directly compared IsoAcoustics Gaias under my Zu Definitions 4 spkrs to Arya Audio Revopods. First impressions of the Gaias were extremely promising, especially in the bass performance, where the Revopods seemed lacking. But continued comparison showed the Gaias imparting a one-note bass, the Revopods much more variety and naturalness. In the end, things really weren't that close, the Revopods were much more even, balanced and natural. The Gaias imparted too much of their own character.
Who has directly compared the use of their products to the common use of speaker spikes or other methods ?
I replaced Wilson supplied 'spikes' on my Grand Slamms with their new audio diodes and the improvement was significant up and down the frequency scale. I have no experience with other products but was considering CMS.

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
I replaced Wilson supplied 'spikes' on my Grand Slamms with their new audio diodes and the improvement was significant up and down the frequency scale. I have no experience with other products but was considering CMS.
Thank you for this addition, was there any softening of the sound stage or widening side to side, front to back? Those are magnificent speakers.

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
Appears to be a quite advanced construction.

Revopod.jpg

Looks almost as some kind of "Micro-Magico" :cool:

AryaDSC_6312_11259_003797.JPG

I have also tried these and compared to Gaia I. Gaia gave a better result in my case as the energy in the bass reproduction did not make my room add as much energy. Other speakers, different floor etc = different result I guess.

Arya AqDSC_6284_11236_003791.JPG

Anyway, in my case, it ended up with a completely different solution...

FötterDSC_6247_11204_003780.JPG

Custom made solutions are always the best ;)

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Thank you for your comments. Did you notice any change in sound stage: side to side, front to back depth? Those are magnificent speakers.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Thank you for this addition, was there any softening of the sound stage or widening side to side, front to back? Those are magnificent speakers
improved definition/separation without losing coherency. side to side not noticeable. Sound stage, if it means depth, was more palatable and already good. Tonality likewise truer to natural - actually now very much so including human voice. The combined improvement was immediate and pronounced enough that my wife was favorably impressed - she does listen critically and has better range of hearing than myself. they were well worth the investment and am now considering whether to put EVPs under the REL 25s though REL does not approve of any isolation on their subs (?).

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020

View attachment 87505

View attachment 87504

I have also tried these and compared to Gaia I. Gaia gave a better result in my case as the energy in the bass reproduction did not make my room add as much energy. Other speakers, different floor etc = different result I guess.

View attachment 87507

View attachment 87508

We walk the same path, but with different shoes !

Last edited:

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
Reuse for the sake of the environment?
My daughter's old outgrown shoes. She was 7 years old at the time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Michael, I find tweaks that alter bass significantly to be the hardest ones to judge as positive or negative. I mean, who doesn't want more bass in their life? I know I do Lol.
But the story is not so much "more", but of what quality and character, and also when.
So where music doesn't demand it, I don't want a superimposed layer, or falsely enhanced foundation. And this is how I felt the Gaias acted.
I mean, I like Kim Kardashian and #TheArseThatBrokeTheInternet, but I don't want my hifi to be that way all the time Lol.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
IsoAcoustics is currently running ads on YouTube promoting their Gaia speaker isolators based on a panel of ordinary people detecting the difference in sound enhanced by their product.

As well, how do IsoAcoustic component isolators compare to premium products like Absolute Sound's Product of the Year ~ Critical Mass Systems ?

Lastly, how does one know when to incorporate 3 or 4 units under a component ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your real world experience and expertise.
I have-compared Isoacoustics Gaia feet head to head against spikes in the outriggers under my custom Bache Audio speakers. The Gaia’s provide a clear increase in clarity and articulation over spikes and I wouldn’t be without them. There are other, more expensive devices which also float the speakers and may outperform the Gaia’s (e.g., the Townshend platforms, and the Revopod and Wellfloat feet), but the Gaia’s are high value. What’s clear is that decoupling speakers is a clear winner over coupling them to the floor with spikes.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I found a great improvement using Isoacoustics throughout my system, especially the Martens. Haven.t compared to other products, though I use them in conjunction with crystal floating boards on some gear. Everything tightened up and was cleaner, smoother and a better soundstage with them in. Aside from the speakers, my upsampler showed the most improvement with them added in.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
I found a great improvement using Isoacoustics throughout my system, especially the Martens. Haven.t compared to other products, though I use them in conjunction with crystal floating boards on some gear. Everything tightened up and was cleaner, smoother and a better soundstage with them in. Aside from the speakers, my upsampler showed the most improvement with them added in.
Thank you for your contribution, the Martens I heard, are especially gratifying

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Most welcome. Yes, I could wax on and on about Marten, but this isn’t the thread... They are under-reported IMO, as is AVM, which is another stellar company with amazing products.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Most welcome. Yes, I could wax on and on about Marten, but this isn’t the thread... They are under-reported IMO, as is AVM, which is another stellar company with amazing products.
I like how your thoughts are gathered with mindfulness and introspection . . . You have been most helpful.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT

View attachment 87505

View attachment 87504

View attachment 87507

View attachment 87508

That's the perfect solution to my ugly buy amazingly effective Gaia feet on my Giya's

Attachments

• IMG_8353D.jpeg
    IMG_8353D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I am a huge fan They completely improved my Giya 3's, when I would compare vinyl to digital there was a "thickness/fullness" to vinyl which I liked. The new feet with carpet rings, just knocked out all that reverberating noise. The bass changed a lot. It got faster, stopped and started instantly. The soundstage height and depth improved tremendously. Including behind me at times. The images were much clearer, and I could appreciate the musicians playing off each other more, adding their licks back and forth in a way I didn't experience before. They are a no brainer to my mind. Best 600$ I've spent on my system. I put them under my turntable as well. They improve everything, unlike the still points 5 I put on my old Classic 3.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
I am a huge fan They completely improved my Giya 3's, when I would compare vinyl to digital there was a "thickness/fullness" to vinyl which I liked. The new feet with carpet rings, just knocked out all that reverberating noise. The bass changed a lot. It got faster, stopped and started instantly. The soundstage height and depth improved tremendously. Including behind me at times. The images were much clearer, and I could appreciate the musicians playing off each other more, adding their licks back and forth in a way I didn't experience before. They are a no brainer to my mind. Best 600$ I've spent on my system. I put them under my turntable as well. They improve everything, unlike the still points 5 I put on my old Classic 3.
If I may ask, how long did they take them to settle in and sound good. I have heard differences of opinion of up to a week?

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
That's the perfect solution to my ugly buy amazingly effective Gaia feet on my Giya's
I love the shape of Giyas, somehow they remind me of the top of soft serve ice cream, where they detach from the machine and are birthed into the world as a instrument of tasty delight . . .

1641311521210.png
No use crying over split milk, but I will cry over melted ice cream .

1641312191822.png

Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing