Is there only one best location in a room for a set of speakers?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Beautiful room and setup. How do you find the windows/glass impact the music?
Beautiful room indeed!
Glass / windows: glass is about as absorbant (or reflective) as a painted brick wall. So, the glass will impact in the same way as the wall (unusual, but that's what measurements say)

Reactions: ScottK

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
IMG_0566.jpeg
Here is my modest attempt at Roomle.

I too started with JS and 83%. It got me close.

Music first, HiFi next is my mantra as well. Keep playing with speaker distance to front wall and seating position trying to optimize bass and depth of stage. It’s an odd shaped room, but a semi dedicated listening space with a kitchen and bath, much fine tuning with acoustic treatments, and open joists as it is an eight and a half foot ceiling and otherwise finished basement. All corners, ceiling, front wall, and first reflection points are nicely treated.

The best room I’ve had. Timbre extra fine. Huge dynamic swings. Depth of stage very good (working on better).

IMG_0567.png

Last edited:

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Depth of stage very good (working on better).
I'm beginning to think this is over hyped. I have yet to hear a system with "significant" depth. Would like somehow to get a better sense of what that means. Paul M. of PS Audio describes it as hearing behind the front wall?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
In my system, depending on the recording, instruments may present all the way from the front wall to behind the listener. Sometimes it is startling. I’ve had this experience with used component systems at the four figure level, all the way to mid six figure systems.

In my opinion, the room and set up are a big factor, but the source, amps, and speakers have to be up to it.

Reactions: Lee

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Just one other thought. I expect a decent and stable left to right presentation, even beyond the two speakers. I like and often am rewarded with good separation of individual performers, including space around them. It is only natural to have them placed forward and aft. Soundstage is real if the set up and recording are solid. And you do not have to spend six figures to get a clear taste.

Reactions: Lee

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
In my system, depending on the recording, instruments may present all the way from the front wall to behind the listener. Sometimes it is startling. I’ve had this experience with used component systems at the four figure level, all the way to mid six figure systems.
How far are your tweeters from front wall and what is your room depth? Would love that result.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
How far are your tweeters from front wall and what is your room depth? Would love that result.
The tweeters are 64” from the front wall. The room is 34’ long.

My use of the room is probably a bit unusual. I sit with my ears in the range of 13’ (edge of my seat listening) to 15’ (lazy listening) from the tweeters. The space behind my chair is used for general hobby work. The room has a lot of book cases and shelves, a couple of late oriental carpets, four corner traps and four absorbent panels. The ceiling is 10’.

My dual use is man cave oriented, rather than shared living space oriented.

I’ve had the sense of depth of soundstage in two channel rooms dating back at least a couple of decades. Thiels and CJ with an LP12 as source first exposed me to it. And for what would be considered modest money today.

In my present system, even with streaming, I can often sort out the scale of the piano’s sound board. We live in a golden age of two channel audio.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Another “last thought.” Even old monophonic recordings can capture and present depth. I wonder if the recording “engineers” were going for that effect, or if it was just serendipity.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm beginning to think this is over hyped. I have yet to hear a system with "significant" depth. Would like somehow to get a better sense of what that means. Paul M. of PS Audio describes it as hearing behind the front wall?
Yes, I understand your skepticism if you have not heard it in a number of room/systems.

In my room, with these speakers, and especially with a good mono recording on a Miyajima Zero cartridge, it is truly remarkable. People speak of loud speakers disappearing… this is an extension of that. Actually, I have had even a better experience of this in the past. My current room and speakers do it moderately well, but I’m struggling a bit juggling listening distance from horns with speaker distance to front wall. A perfect world would give me a somewhat deeper room. So this is where I would say it has come to a happy compromise as it is not a purpose built room.

Getting the loud speakers off the front wall makes this possible. Further is often better.

Reactions: ScottK

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Yes but at a loss of bass. Do you use subs?
No subs here. Agreed, for me the bass does change/tune with distance to the front wall. Too close and it is muddy and overblown/too far away and it does fall off a bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing