Is there any advice when the speaker starts to seperate, as per this photo? I just tried a very tempiry solution which works fine but looks horrible!r

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
You can buy speaker repair kits to replace the surrounds, try some sort of glue like rubber cement (though may react poorly with some material, have to figure out what glue to use), or send them off to one of the places that rebuilds speakers. It is usually fairly inexpensive.

I would start by pulling the driver to see what the other side looks like and try a bead of glue at the very edge (or back lip, keeping it off the surround as much as possible).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Looks like the dreaded foam rot - you will need to have the surrounds replaced. Needs some dexterity, as the voice coil must stay accurately centered.

Just google "foam rot speaker repair" - you will find many pages on the subject, including instructions on how to do it in a DIY way.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is a very common problem. I can't remember where I posted the solution. Just go to you tube

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Get better, or newer, speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing