Is OLED really better than a tweaked out Pioneer KRP-500M Plasma ?

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
"It's like a today's LG OLED 77" for $3,500 and sitting 7 feet from it.
It's not the same as sitting 7 feet from a Kuro Elite 50" plasma of yesterday for the same money.'

There is truth in this statement however if you watch cable TV and just blu ray you can be quite satisfied with plasma. There is more dynamic range on the plasma and more depth unless you are watching netflix or 4k content. I am not sure what specular highlights mean but I do not see much lacking in plasma performance. They are still good and in ways better than OLED.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If Pioneer would come back to the market and sell Kuro plasma TVs I would give it a shot certainly. But right now I'm thinking more 8K than 2K, and also high frame rate (fps) plus advanced development in HDR10+

I'm also big on (((3D))), but I remain discreet on the subject as it provokes flames, smoke and fires. I abandoned talking about it and keep it under my blanket.

If all the pro video experts were wrong ... that'll be the day. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
If Pioneer would come back to the market and sell Kuro plasma TVs I would give it a shot certainly. But right now I'm thinking more 8K than 2K, and also high frame rate (fps) plus advanced development in HDR10+

I'm also big on (((3D))), but I remain discreet on the subject as it provokes flames, smoke and fires. I abandoned talking about it and keep it under my blanket.

If all the pro video experts were wrong ... that'll be the day. :)

What do you need hfr for anyway on the TV? Just wondering as atleast for my use (movies) it won't do anything.

Haha yea 3D can do that :D I can watch 3D at the dual 4k laser imax cinemas. Only problem is I have to fly to another country to see one. I think generally 3D reduces the quality of the picture too much, like your watching a dvd or a bad HD rip or something. At least that's how I feel when watching it. So that's a place maybe 8k can help. But I guess that's for another thread hehe :)

Yea that would be the day, I guess the only way to find out is to make a big enough outrage that it will eventually catch their attention :) I just need to get my hands on all the used krp models first so I can get rich when the marked wants them again :p

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wow, you put a lot of smilies on that one ...

Motion Blur is an issue today with OLED.
High Frame Rate is a solution.

3D is certainly affected by the glasses we wear...a dimmer picture and only 2K.
But the immersive cinematique experience that it provides cannot be said the same from 2D and 4K. ...In general. And it's not for everyone, that I know very well.
Still there are many people out there with 3D/4K front projectors, and with 3D TVs prior to 2017 (2016 and before). No need to go to 3D IMAX theater to get immersed, people can get immersed right @ home. Most 4K and regular Blu-ray players support 3D.
And the world is much bigger than just North America...for the 3D Blu-ray movies ...

8K is the big push right now, and will continue pushing more and more.

Invest in Disney shares, Apple shares, Amazon, ...you'll get richer quicker. :)
Forget Bitcoin, it's the currency of coin people (con men).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing