Is OLED really better than a tweaked out Pioneer KRP-500M Plasma ?

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
I think most of the problems withthe OLEDs is they are 4K and not 1080P. Especially for broadcast TV, upscaling to 4k has its challenges with motion.

This might definitely be the case yes and might be even worse with 720p broadcast as they send alot still in my country. But I don't have much experience in broadcast TV at home as I haven't had a broadcast TV box or subscription or what ever it is called for the last 6 years now. But when I compare broadcast at my friends Oled to the Kuro at my parents home (hate comparing when things are not side by side cause you only go by memory) The wow feeling is never there on the oled.

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
Kuroisbetter - thanks for your feedback.

FYI- I have a 50" Samsung Plasma that I resurrected from the dead.

I'm in the US, so my OLED choices are LG and Sony.

Base on my viewing, I'm not sure I want to pay the large premium for OLED.

How is the price difference to the premium fald lcd, (I know you guyes have more choices there we only have Samsung here so I can only speak of them, and over here they are more expensive than the oleds)

The old Samsung plasma :) I actually watch alot of fotball/soccer at one of my friends place and they still use their old Samsung plasma :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Wait for Boxing Day time or the Holidays... LG 65" OLED for less than $2,000 ... the C9 for example.

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
Picture 1: Left side a Panasonic plasma Vt60 vs an volt modified 5090 (9G non pro Modell i guess in US) It still has glow and can't compare to volt modified Pro or 500A/M. You might need to turn up brightness to see it, atleast i need to do that on my phone. Still way better than it was pre modified. And you can clearly see it outperforms the last gen Panasonic plasma 2013 Model.
IMG_20180912_230059.jpg

Picture 2: Q9fn next to an volt modified elite or 500A kuro modell. I would say the q9fn is pretty impressive in this very hard scene.
IMG_20181127_221353.jpg

Picture 3: left LG oled C8 vs another volt modified 500A kuro. This was taken a while before and I didn't think about having the same picture on screen as pictures above.
IMG_20180722_002654.jpg

Picture 4: also another kuro 500A but this is before it was reseted/modified.
IMG_20181004_213205.jpg

Picture 5: After adjusting it
IMG_20181004_234946.jpg

Picture 6: LG C8 oled vs Kuro 500A
IMG_20180721_230059.jpg

Picture 7: Q9fn vs Kuro 500M.
IMG_20181130_224817.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

If all you do is casual viewing, some 65" 4K LCD LED TVs are $500 ... TCL, Vizio, ...

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
This is how one of the 500A I got in to fix was looking with the settings the guy used lol, not strange people prefer their new TV when this is what they were used to
IMG_20181002_205100.jpg

IMG_20181002_211258.jpg

At one time there were no chairs left on the kitchen for anyone to sit on :D happy wife happy life naa :p

IMG_20181202_142435.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good tip! Here at Black firday TVs are almost half of what they are new.

The LG C9 (OLED 65") is $2,500 right now; on Boxing Day she'll be less than $2,000
It's the top best TV in 2019. The Sony OLED TVs are equal (a fraction of a fraction slightly + or -) but they cost more.

There is also the last year model B8 (65" OLED) that should be around $1,300 or so).

But if the OP is only watching casually, he can buy a lesser TV, same size, 4K LCD LED for only $500 as of now. ...A 50" right now for $260, that too.

I just don't know his actual use, where he'll put it, the light in his room, what he watches, etc.
Each TV depends of many things...budget included...to each particular TV viewer.
_____

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-500

https://www.techradar.com/news/walmart-tv-sale-game-day-deals-on-4k-tvs-from-sony-lg-vizio-and-more

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-65...ickid=2AtXWKVlzxyJTwlwUx0Mo34VUkn00rxLS1wUzE0

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-65-Class-4K-2160P-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-65S421/271962270

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-50...ickid=2AtXWKVlzxyJTwlwUx0Mo34VUkn00IzTS1wUzE0

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuroisbetter

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
I also added a set of chairs behind if the kids wanted to use the room but it's not ideally to sit there as it gets to close to the speakers and to far away from the screen. But I like the room and use alot if time down there hehe :) sorry the picture just didn't want to turn the right way...
Snapchat-302703995.jpg

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
If you watch 4K video or Netflix Movies, OLED is good. Plasma is good for blu ray broadcast TV. I am actually disappointed in my OLED. It is not as good as the Plasma.

Reactions: Kuroisbetter

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
If you watch 4K video or Netflix Movies, OLED is good. Plasma is good for blu ray broadcast TV. I am actually disappointed in my OLED. It is not as good as the Plasma.

That's the thing you went to a worse TV so no wonder hehe, sad to say :p But atleast it is bigger and I guess you will get more used to it after a while and hopefully like it better and better. And as you say for streams it will get a higher bitrate from netflix and that alone is worth it if you watch alot of netflix imo. Maybe this can be done from a computer to the kuro but my xbox x netflix limits the bitrate, YouTube does not, idk I use it to little to be bothered finding a fix for it. But it's not the 4k resolution that makes the big difference it is the bitrate netflix gives the tvs. If the kuro would also receive the same bitrate from netflix things would be different.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
4K is about the improved dynamic range, the wider color palette, the focus, the higher definition sitting closer, the 3-dimensional perspective, ...it's like a photograph from the 40s compared with one of today...new camera, new paper print, new lenses, new you-are-there spookiness.

It's like a today's LG OLED 77" for $3,500 and sitting 7 feet from it.
It's not the same as sitting 7 feet from a Kuro Elite 50" plasma of yesterday for the same money.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kuro doesn't accept 4K content in all its ultra high def vitality, it's a 1080p high def screen display.
No HDR10+, no Dolby Vision, no extended wide color palette, not the same representation from the best 4K content.

A very nice plasma TV for sure but not the same advanced video chip processor as OLED from Panasonic, Sony and LG.

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
4K is about the improved dynamic range, the wider color palette, the focus, the higher definition sitting closer, the 3-dimensional perspective, ...it's like a photograph from the 40s compared with one of today...new camera, new paper print, new lenses, new you-are-there spookiness.

It's like a today's LG OLED 77" for $3,500 and sitting 7 feet from it.
It's not the same as sitting 7 feet from a Kuro Elite 50" plasma of yesterday for the same money.

Kuro doesn't accept 4K content in all its ultra high def vitality, it's a 1080p high def screen display.
No HDR10+, no Dolby Vision, no extended wide color palette, not the same representation from the best 4K content.

A very nice plasma TV for sure but not the same advanced video chip processor as OLED from Panasonic, Sony and LG.

You have not seen a tweaked kuro? Cause I 100% believe you would not say thoose things if you had. The kuro is superior in color against today's oleds and skin tones looks no were near as realistic as on the kuro. You do know that the kuro supports the same 10bit as the oleds?

Did you see that last patrik video I posted? Read that info on the YouTube video as the video itself is not that interesting due to color difference. It is against one of the best oleds on the marked. Not that it matters they all lack the same problem. I would change the kuro in a heartbeat if there were anything better in the marked but there isn't. I always want the best of the best I love technologies but the truth is the kuro was way ahead of its time and its a shame they didn't continue. Even at 77" and at same price as an oled I would still pick the kuro if there was one with the same kuro specs against the oleds out there today.

Why would I use the kuro if it was not better??? That's madness lol and why do not a single person pick the oled here when I give people a demo of them. I was also just 1.5 year ago convinced that oled was the absolut best out there but I do see now that I was wrong.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just don't know what to say but respect your vision.
There are other Kuro owners who have a similar vision, so I do understand.

The only Kuro TVs we can buy today are second hand on eBay.
It's not everyone's bag.

I still have my old plasma Samsung, with burn in bars @ the top and bottom, from watching mainly 2.35:1 content. So when I watch a Blu-ray movie @ 1.85:1 aspect ratio my plasma is caput.

But it's not my own personal experience that counts the most; it's the average of all video pro experts. It's true that I've never own a Kuro, but I've seen them long time ago and they were the very best. Today I'm just amazed @ the OLED's picture quality.

Are they better than a well tweaked and calibrated Kuro plasma?
I know absolutely less than zero. If I go to video stores they have zero Kuro plasma TVs. So I can't compare them with the best OLED TVs.

Some people also love their Panasonic plasma TVs and won't upgrade to 4K till their TVs die.

We watch what we watch on what we have and what comes next. What's best? The grandeur of the emotional impact (visual & auditory) of the films and documentaries that move us no matter the display, the size, the audio system, the gear, the format, the anything but the essence.
It's in the content that we gain our contentment, in the delivery. IMHO

Kuroisbetter

Sep 10, 2019
First of all I would like thank you for that honest feedback. And I hope my name does not make me look like a douchebag. I just typed in something when I made it, I didn't know any one would actually reply as I have never been on this forum and the post looked dead.

But what test do we actually have from these reviewers on plasma vs oled? In their world they test lcd and oled and they find the best of them and the best of what people can buy today.

It is also important to see the fact that we talk about something of a display that maybe a handful of people in the world have seen. 99/100 guyes when they talk about the plasma vs oled they will refer to just that, a normal plasma. The tweaked krp is a totally different ball game to the other plasmas. I tried to show a picture just to show how bad a plasma that reviewers still says is the best plasma TV made (the last Panasonic gen). But it gets destroyed not only by a kuro plasma that is tweaked but the old 9g panel that is miles away from what the krp 9.5g panel does. It might be possible that the krp models of the kuro had 10g parts and was underclocked (in lack of a better word) so that they could easily tweak them next year with same parts. I don't know about that last statement, but something is different in these 9.5g panels compared to the 9g. (I don't know the US name sorry so I will use the 9g (lx5090) and (9.5g krp500) on them).

I have seen quite alot of Kuros now during the last 1.5 year and all of them have problems with the picture. And I would guess this was already occurring back in 2013 with the latest plasma vs plasma reviews. So when people are comparing them to new tvs today it is no wonder people will say their new tv is better in most cases.

Vincent from HDTV and the guyes at rting are doing great jobs helping people. But I can't help feeling they have never seen a tweaked kuro. I am almost tempted to see if I can find one close to Vincent and buy it and ask if he would do a special review. But at the end of the day he is a business man and needs to earn money and will that really help anyone if the test showed a 11year old TV beating the new ones? I don't know man. It is like the guyes at rtings said, we test TVs for the normal people not the 10 guyes that can buy a 10k dollar TV or more specifically they said something like that when the 8k q900 came out that they wouldn't test it cause most people can't afford it. And I understand that. And the kuro is the same, what normal guy wants to buy a TV with no warrent and having to learn (it's easy but still) to tweak it and having to do this every 100hrs of viewing to keep the perfect picture? Not many people. But I did it and that was after I was hocked on the oled train, just cause I find it fun and interesting and to see what the hell this patrik Youtube guy was talking about. I'm glad I did and he is a very nice guy and have helped me alot with the kuros.

I do really believe if they had done a blind test against a Krp tweaked kuro and not taken screen size, screen reflection, warrenty and placed it next to the LG C9 the Panasonic the Sony and the Samsung Qled in mid to dark light condition. That the kuro would have gone away with the highest overall score. That's my honest opinion.

I don't know much about Samsung and burnins but i can believe they were not that good at it with them pushing the light output so much. What's interesting is that the Panasonic vt60 was alot more phrone to this than the old kuro and especially temporary burnins. The Panasonic was horrible on this. And the apl dimming is very bad on that one so no idea why.

About comparing TVs at the store I would never recommend it. The only way to check tvs are to have them home get the settings right and have them feed with the same picture side by side. But I guess few can do this so use reviewers instead. What I tend to see with rting is that the video reviews and comparisons tells more than the paper score in terms of what you might be looking for in a TV. Just my experience.

At the end of the day we have alot of great tvs out there and the prices are very good compared to 10 years ago. And I agree what we see is what moves us :)

I just don't know what to say but respect your vision.
There are other Kuro owners who have a similar vision, so I do understand.

The only Kuro TVs we can buy today are second hand on eBay.
It's not everyone's bag.

I still have my old plasma Samsung, with burn in bars @ the top and bottom, from watching mainly 2.35:1 content. So when I watch a Blu-ray movie @ 1.85:1 aspect ratio my plasma is caput.

But it's not my own personal experience that counts the most; it's the average of all video pro experts. It's true that I've never own a Kuro, but I've seen them long time ago and they were the very best. Today I'm just amazed @ the OLED's picture quality.

Are they better than a well tweaked and calibrated Kuro plasma?
I know absolutely less than zero. If I go to video stores they have zero Kuro plasma TVs. So I can't compare them with the best OLED TVs.

Some people also love their Panasonic plasma TVs and won't upgrade to 4K till their TVs die.

We watch what we watch on what we have and what comes next. What's best? The grandeur of the emotional impact (visual & auditory) of the films and documentaries that move us no matter the display, the size, the audio system, the gear, the format, the anything but the essence.
It's in the content that we gain our contentment, in the delivery. IMHO

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Fine. Give it a rest. It’s just a TV. An old, obsolete TV at that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing