Is Dave Brubeck "Jazz-Lite"

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone have an opinion on BRUBECK IN AMSTERDAM ?

Just ordered on amazon after listening to snips of it...I like Brubeck so for 3 bucks, I ordered. Will post but seemed promising!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just ordered on amazon after listening to snips of it...I like Brubeck so for 3 bucks, I ordered. Will post but seemed promising!

Hi Lloyd!

I look forward to your input on it. I'm tempted to pick it up as well since it has Brubeck, Desmond, Wright and Morello, and the track selections are new to me.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Thanks Doc.
Cascals, i don't think Carnegie Hall is particularly hard to find, it sounds like you've had a spate of bad luck. I'd send you one of my many copies, but I don't have access to them right now. If I see one cheap, do you want me to pick it up for you? (I usually stop at the local record store every day on the way home from the gym).
Thanks for the offer, whart. Very kind of you, but I have rescued the LPs which sound very good. The outer sleeve is a mess but you don't listen to that! However today I picked up a vinyl copy of Dave Brubeck Bossa Nova USA, new, which I never heard before, recorded 1962, 180 gram, excellent pressing. The label is Wax Time, from Barcelona, Spain. Does it export to North America, I wonder? They have an excellent catalogue of the jazz we like.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the offer, whart. Very kind of you, but I have rescued the LPs which sound very good. The outer sleeve is a mess but you don't listen to that! However today I picked up a vinyl copy of Dave Brubeck Bossa Nova USA, new, which I never heard before, recorded 1962, 180 gram, excellent pressing. The label is Wax Time, from Barcelona, Spain. Does it export to North America, I wonder? They have an excellent catalogue of the jazz we like.

Link?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No. I am quoting info from the catalogue which is included with the record. You can email Wax Time Records or resort to snail mail. Also try googling that name. BTW, Bossa Nova USA, very nice Brubeck quartet with Joe Morello loving the beat!

Will check it out! Thanks!:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd!

I look forward to your input on it. I'm tempted to pick it up as well since it has Brubeck, Desmond, Wright and Morello, and the track selections are new to me.

I also picked up Desmond Complete RCA Collection 5 CDs...used on Amazon. i prefer Brubeck with Desmond than these but they were still good to listen to.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thinking of picking up the Speakers Corner reissue of Carnegie Hall, but I'm hesitating slightly at $65. Does anyone have this? And, if so, what are your thoughts?

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Several hard-bop musicians, including those who have played with Sinatra and those who have recorded with the best of the best, have told me that Brubeck is "not real jazz, but jazz-lite" They don't have the same respect for him as a pianist as they do for Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Oscar Peterson, etc.

Do hard core jazz fans here agree?

But as a composer they sure do! Look at the list of top innovators that recorded his tunes.
His solos where what a musician friend of mine called ''composer solo's'' but the same can be said of Horace Silver's solos, and very rarely do I hear people criticize Horace Silver's piano solos. But personally I also has to admit that I prefer the composer, small band arranger and new concept developer Brubeck than the pianist Brubeck.
AND NEVER FORGET: he gave us ''Time Out'' and that is still one of the best sounding albums ever made!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Is this old thread back again? The answer is still no.

Tim

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
My critique of Brubeck wouldn't be that he was "jazz-lite" but that he could be jazz-heavy and plodding as with some of his block chord solos with little or no sense of swing, the essence of jazz. He would grab those big chords and pound away until Desmond came in to lighten the mood and introduce some lyricism into the improvisation. That it seems was a result of his classical training and the influence of modern classical composers like Darius Milhaud. But apart from this approach, Brubeck could be lyrical and swinging too. Hear for example his solo on "Don't Worry 'Bout Me", from Jazz Goes to College (1953) as he picks up where Desmond leaves off repeating the last figure and launching into a beautiful solo. Jazz-lite, jazz-heavy? Who cares, it's just beautiful music. I just picked up an interesting CD: Bernstein Plays Brubeck Plays Bernstein, featuring the band with the N.Y. Philharmonic playing music for Orchestra and Jazz Combo by Howard Brubeck, and a selection of Bernstein compositions. Interesting, and the Brubeck quartet did not sound out of place playing with the NYPO conducted by Leonard Bernstein. No band in the history of jazz integrated classical and jazz elements as effortlessly and naturally as the Dave Brubeck Quartet, and this might account for some of the prejudice against him by more traditional musicians.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
AND NEVER FORGET: he gave us ''Time Out'' and that is still one of the best sounding albums ever made!

He also gave us "Koto Song". One of the most melancholic, beautiful tunes in Jazz ever written. The man was a giant - end of story.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like him, which for me is all that really matters. Feel free to attach any label you want to him or his music.....I will still enjoy him.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing