Is Dave Brubeck "Jazz-Lite"

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Recently picked up a copy of 2-CD set, Dave Brubeck Trio & Gerry Mulligan, Live at the Berlin Philharmonie and recommend it, not so much for Brubeck's playing but for Mulligan's baritone sax and Alan Dawson's dynamic drumming. (Dawson took over for Joe Morello.) The sound is very good and the audience non-intrusive at this 1970 concert. Some of the material on the discs has never been released before.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just received a VG+ copy of Carnegie Hall and have played it about 4 times already! :). It's not the original pressing, but it's very pleasant with good dynamics. I'm enjoying it!

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Congratulations! I envy you and would love to hear that concert on vinyl. Me? I've had no luck so far since I ordered it from the UK, and the UK postal service being what it is lost it between England and Portugal. So still waiting to get a copy, even a CD would be great. Enjoy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I just ordered a copy of Brubeck at Carnegie Hall, 2 LPs, from musicstack.com, which acts as an agent for a German dealer offering the set, advertised as near mint, for 11,50€ + shipping, a bargain. Very excited about this considering that Amazon lost my CD copy. This should be better.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just ordered a copy of Brubeck at Carnegie Hall, 2 LPs, from musicstack.com, which acts as an agent for a German dealer offering the set, advertised as near mint, for 11,50€ + shipping, a bargain. Very excited about this considering that Amazon lost my CD copy. This should be better.

Congrats!:D

I haven't stopped playing it since I received mine. What an absolutely wonderful album!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Congrats!:D

I haven't stopped playing it since I received mine. What an absolutely wonderful album!

Totally agree! Enjoy!!!

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I consider DBQ at Carnegie to be a magical musical event, that I never tire of listening to, as I always discover something new in their playing and remain amazed by what they are capable of. And then it's a good recording.
There's a bit of concert lore about the session on the internet, worth exploring.
The band members, according to Brubeck, first come into their groove a stretch into the third number. The way they play, it's really a high wire act from beginning to end, with improvisations and themes being tossed between band members who are constantly throwing challenges at each other.

The cover notes on the LP are extensive, and reveal how they improvised during the performance.

Last edited:

Supersnake

Feb 19, 2011
He's had a few moments:

(clippety clip)

Of course I gave you the entire Wikipedia list for effect, :), but the point is that Brubeck has had a pretty productive and stunning career. I chose Time Out as my one example because it accomplished so much. It is at once accessible and innovative to a degree that is probably only exceeded by Kind of Blue. I love jazz, but much of it is a snob's game, and the easiest targets are the guys who become too popular with a mainstream audience. Brubeck definitely got that rap. .... (snip)

Tim

Sounds so correct.

Last edited:

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I consider DBQ at Carnegie to be a magical musical event, that I never tire of listening to, as I always discover something new in their playing and remain amazed by what they are capable of. And then it's a good recording.
There's a bit of concert lore about the session on the internet, worth exploring.
The band members, according to Brubeck, first come into their groove a stretch into the third number. The way they play, it's really a high wire act from beginning to end, with improvisations and themes being tossed between band members who are constantly throwing challenges at each other.

The cover notes on the LP are extensive, and reveal how they improvised during the performance.
Thanks for all these replies which make me even more impatient to get my hands on the LPs. To now I consider the College of the Pacific and Jazz Goes to College sessions of 1953-54 the cream of the crop, so I am even more eager to hear the Carnegie Hall concert. I will post my impressions and hope that the vinyl is in good shape as I have never before bought LPs on the internet.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Reporting on the latest sad episode in my quest for the Brubeck Carnegie Hall concert. The CD order was lost by Amazon. Then I ordered the LP version from a German seller, which arrived today, soaking wet even though it's sunny and dry here. No shrink-wrap and plastic sleeve inside held the moisture. Result, a mess. Records moldy and double outer sleeve ruined. I have written to complain so will see where this goes. No luck with Brubeck and Carnegie. :-( I have ordered Herbie Hancock, Joni Letters, from the same seller. Fingers crossed.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I just found a minty copy of The Dave Brubeck Quartet Newport 1958. It's a mono 6-eye on Columbia.

First of all, what a cool album cover! (One of the reasons I enjoy vinyl!)

The group plays a program of Ellington's music immediately prior to Ellington taking the stage. The sonics are fabulous, with Morello's solo on "C Jam Blues" rivaling the drumming on "Castillian Drums" from the Carnegie Hall concert recording.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I just found a minty copy of The Dave Brubeck Quartet Newport 1958. It's a mono 6-eye on Columbia.

The group plays a program of Ellington's music immediately prior to Ellington taking the stage. The sonics are fabulous, with Morello's solo on "C Jam Blues" rivaling the drumming on "Castillian Drums" from the Carnegie Hall concert recording.
Lucky guy. Great cover art. I've got it in stereo as part of a 3 album 2 CD set by Avid Jazz. Good sound but usually prefer vinyl.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Nice find my friend!:D.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks. I'm a happy boy...can't wait to hear it at Lavigne's!

Doc, was the Carnegie Hall record ever issued as a 6 eye? I thought it was too late. I have a bunch of copies, either 'no eyes' like johns or a couple that are 'two eyes' (if memory serves). I think I posted here that I found an old Take 5 6 eye in my stacks that was just killer.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I have an original pressing of "Carnegie Hall" (C2S 826) and it's a 2 eye. I don't think it was ever released as a 6 eye. I think the changeover occurred in 1962/3.

Those "Take 5" 6-eyes are killer, especially the early pressings with the original cover.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have an original pressing of "Carnegie Hall" (C2S 826) and it's a 2 eye. I don't think it was ever released as a 6 eye. I think the changeover occurred in 1962/3.

Those "Take 5" 6-eyes are killer, especially the early pressings with the original cover.
Thanks Doc.
Cascals, i don't think Carnegie Hall is particularly hard to find, it sounds like you've had a spate of bad luck. I'd send you one of my many copies, but I don't have access to them right now. If I see one cheap, do you want me to pick it up for you? (I usually stop at the local record store every day on the way home from the gym).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Anyone have an opinion on BRUBECK IN AMSTERDAM ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing