Intona USB 2.0/3.0 Isolators 2019versions

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
In my system, a similar phenomenon happens between the Aurender W20 > SOtM USBultra > MSB Technologies Pro USB module; the USBultra must be power cycled on/off each time the source component Aurender is powered off, so that there is a fresh handshake - otherwise these is no USB connection from the Aurender to the DAC.
Just seeing this. I've had problems with my Gustard X20 DAC not playing music every few weeks. Otherwise the DAC looks normal on its display--just no music. Power cycling the DAC fixes the problem. I'm using an ISORegen. Wonder if that's the reason? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread, just find it interesting especially since I just ordered a Holo May KTE DAC and am trying to decide whether to add the Intona device, and if so, whether to go with the 2 or 3 (I'm feeding it with an Aurender W20 server--no streaming).

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Just seeing this. I've had problems with my Gustard X20 DAC not playing music every few weeks. Otherwise the DAC looks normal on its display--just no music. Power cycling the DAC fixes the problem. I'm using an ISORegen. Wonder if that's the reason? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread, just find it interesting especially since I just ordered a Holo May KTE DAC and am trying to decide whether to add the Intona device, and if so, whether to go with the 2 or 3 (I'm feeding it with an Aurender W20 server--no streaming).
It sounds like a device in your chain requires continuity in the 5V power delivered by the USB cable, that loses its handshake whenever power is disrupted (however briefly). Power cycling “every few weeks” - is that an issue? My system is powered off/on everyday, through pushing no fewer than ten buttons in total - sort of like firing up the Starship Enterprise, and it doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
It sounds like a device in your chain requires continuity in the 5V power delivered by the USB cable, that’s loses its handshake whenever power is disrupted (however briefly). Power cycling “every few weeks” - is that an issue? My system is powered off/on everyday, through pushing no fewer than ten buttons in total - sort of like firing up the Starship Enterprise, and it doesn’t bother me.
Quad,
It's not an issue (once I figured out what was going on--the first few times it happened I panicked that something serious was wrong), just annoying (and minor at that). I run a 2-into-1 USB from the Aurender's 2 USB outputs to the Regen, then a short dongle to the DAC. The Regen also has a power supply presumably providing 5V.
Evan

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Sterophile’s Herb Reichert did a review on the May Audio KTE DAC along with a Intona USB 3.0 isolator and he really liked how the Intona improved the DAC’s sound. What I couldn’t find in the review was if he used it USB powered or if he added a outboard power supply. I am out of outlets, so I’m hoping the Intona is still worthwhile USB powered. My question to those who ran the Intona with and without a outboard PS, is it still a keeper, not too compromised without a outboard PS?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Sterophile’s Herb Reichert did a review on the May Audio KTE DAC along with a Intona USB 3.0 isolator and he really liked how the Intona improved the DAC’s sound. What I couldn’t find in the review was if he used it USB powered or if he added a outboard power supply. I am out of outlets, so I’m hoping the Intona is still worthwhile USB powered. My question to those who ran the Intona with and without a outboard PS, is it still a keeper, not too compromised without a outboard PS?
I saw this. John Atkinson's measurements showed no difference with/without the Intona, but Herb (and I think John?) preferred it with the Intona. The USB3.0 model is unpowered/passive, although it does have a USB port for separate 5V power. An email from Tim Connor made it sound like the recommended implementation is without power.

My question is whether the purpose-built Aurender S10 needs/benefits from the Intona. It seems like most advocates of isolators are using streaming/PC audio feeding the DAC.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
I saw this. John Atkinson's measurements showed no difference with/without the Intona, but Herb (and I think John?) preferred it with the Intona. The USB3.0 model is unpowered/passive, although it does have a USB port for separate 5V power. An email from Tim Connor made it sound like the recommended implementation is without power.

My question is whether the purpose-built Aurender S10 needs/benefits from the Intona. It seems like most advocates of isolators are using streaming/PC audio feeding the DAC.
I’m using Intona Rreference USB cable from Aurender to INTONA USB 3.0 Isolator. Transparent Audio USB with Audioquest Jitter Bug from Isolator to MSB DAC. The INTONA system has about 100 hours use. With INTONA sound stage is narrower, tops bright low bass decreased. I tried without Jitter Bug and the overall character remained. Using Transparent Audio with Jitter Bug from Aurender to MSB DAC sounds better to me. The bass is lower deeper and has body. There is body throughout the mids and upper too. Does not sound bright. I connect better to the music. Maybe the INTONA needs another 100 to 200 hours break in. I always get sharp sound with less bass with new cable until full burn in. May be this applies to USB cables too. I was expecting INTONA to improve the sound. i would appreciate INTONA users expereience on burn in please.

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I’m using Intona Rreference USB cable from Aurender to INTONA USB 3.0 Isolator. Transparent Audio USB with Audioquest Jitter Bug from Isolator to MSB DAC. The INTONA system has about 100 hours use. With INTONA sound stage is narrower, tops bright low bass decreased. I tried without Jitter Bug and the overall character remained. Using Transparent Audio with Jitter Bug from Aurender to MSB DAC sounds better to me. The bass is lower deeper and has body. There is body throughout the mids and upper too. Does not sound bright. I connect better to the music. Maybe the INTONA needs another 100 to 200 hours break in. I always get sharp sound with less bass with new cable until full burn in. May be this applies to USB cables too. I was expecting INTONA to improve the sound. i would appreciate INTONA users expereience on burn in please.
I’m quite happy with my setup using 0.5m Intona reference to the Intona isolator to 0.2m Intona reference. I have a Taiko Extreme coming in a few weeks, and am moving to Emile’s recommended 1.5m (I think?) Intona ultimate USB:
CKKeung said:
The character of Ultimate can be summarized in 4 words : Accuracy ; Resolution ; Energy ; Agility.
There may be other more expensive usb cables that have better bass, richer midrange ...etc but the Ultimate gives higher fidelity.
IMHO the Intona Ultimate usb cable is the current champion.
I received a 1.5 meter Ultimate ~2 weeks ago. I agree with your assessment. Especially the increased top end resolution without any glare or stridency stands out, therefor it's not noise induced "fake" resolution. It may be less euphonic then other offerings but then again it's nearly "perfect", very hard to go back once heard.

Toggle signature
Sources: Taiko Audio SGM Extreme - DACs: Lampizator Pacific, Totaldac D1-twelve mk2, Aqua Formula XHD, T+A DAC 8 DSD, Chord Dave/SJ DC4 - Amplifiers: Alieno Pre/Power, Audionet Stern/Heisenberg, CAT JL5 - Loudspeakers: Alsyvox Caravaggio, Magico A5, Volent Paragon VL-3.5, Kenrick Sound JBL L200

Industry disclosure:
http://taikoaudio.com
contact@taikoaudio.com
Reactions:Rhapsody and CKKeung
Like Reply

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing