Interior Design and Listening Rooms

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Sadly, a bit of a puff piece that seems to focus on brand name furnishings, with very little sourcing — a designer or two who converted a playroom to a listening room, for example, and take a look at the chairs! Who would consider chairs with wrap around wings as good for listening? (An interior designer who listens with earbuds, if they listen at all!) A couple of rooms does not a “trend” make.

Maybe the writer did a much better job and his story was worked over by the editors to fit a particular space in the magazine.

I am blessed with the love of a good woman, so it was important for me to consider her wishes when we chose to acoustically remodel the “man cave” that existed in the home we purchased when we moved to Oregon. It was essential the room not have acoustic “thingies” all over the walls — we had some of those in our prior home in Seattle. It was important the acoustician knew how to work with an interior designer. in my opinion, a listening space need not look much different from the rest of your home, but it will take extra steps if you’re starting with an existing room.

B3F75175-EC5C-4D64-8D9E-56C9338E3607.jpeg

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Sadly, a bit of a puff piece that seems to focus on brand name furnishings, with very little sourcing — a designer or two who converted a playroom to a listening room, for example, and take a look at the chairs! Who would consider chairs with wrap around wings as good for listening? (An interior designer who listens with earbuds, if they listen at all!) A couple of rooms does not a “trend” make.

Maybe the writer did a much better job and his story was worked over by the editors to fit a particular space in the magazine.

I am blessed with the love of a good woman, so it was important for me to consider her wishes when we chose to acoustically remodel the “man cave” that existed in the home we purchased when we moved to Oregon. It was essential the room not have acoustic “thingies” all over the walls — we had some of those in our prior home in Seattle. It was important the acoustician knew how to work with an interior designer. in my opinion, a listening space need not look much different from the rest of your home, but it will take extra steps if you’re starting with an existing room.

View attachment 90567
Bob,
Yours is what I’d call a fantastically decorated dedicated listening room. A great blend of function and aesthetics.
Evan

Reactions: Bobvin

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Bob,
Yours is what I’d call a fantastically decorated dedicated listening room. A great blend of function and aesthetics.
Evan
Beautiful room for sure Bob, but I think I’m even more interested by what’s outside the room…. A lovely view you have there!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

View attachment 90567
Yes, a "puff piece" but first time I've seen AD focus on home listening rooms. Perhaps the start of a positive trend?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I like the concluding paragraph. One might think he picked up the adjective by reading the threads on WBF:

“The recording is not compressed-sounding like most modern recorded music is; it sounds natural(TM)*, so it should sound realistic through the hi-fi,” he says. He also cites its wide dynamic range, the air between the instruments, the front and center vocals, and even the silence between the notes. “When something sounds so natural(TM)*, it’s a great reference.”

* Trade Marking by WBF.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
FYI:

Yes, a "puff piece" but first time I've seen AD focus on home listening rooms. Perhaps the start of a positive trend?
This piece isn't an editorial it's straightforward paid advertising disguised as one. There will be more if businesses pay none if they don't :) !

david

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
This piece isn't an editorial it's straightforward paid advertising disguised as one. There will be more if businesses pay none if they don't :) !

david
That, unfortunately is what AD has turned into. I have done high end interiors and built custom furniture for most of my life.

I have subscribed to AD for almost as long as it has been published. I have finally not renewed my subscription this year as it has turned into nothing more than advertisements and a series of puff pieces of the rich and famous. As though they had anything to do with their home other than write a check.

No longer is it a stellar example of architecture and design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and PeterA

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
How ironic I should receive my April AD this afternoon.

This is no comment on Shonda Rhimes, I don't know who she is.
AD is like People magazine with household products and interiors.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 7

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
How ironic I should receive my April AD this afternoon.

This is no comment on Shonda Rhimes, I don't know who she is.
AD is like People magazine with household products and interiors.
You've never heard of Shonda Rhimes, television's highest paid and most successful producer - creator of Bridgerton, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, Inventing Anna, and others? Have you been hiding under a rock? Nothing new or different about this issue - AD has been featuring celebrity living spaces like this for decades, and carries ads like every other magazine.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@brad225

Did you build your own listening chair?

A subject of immensely greater relevance than glossy label on depictions.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
First I will correct that AD has been published for 102 years and have been subscribing for only a litter over 40 years.

Cellcbern, I am sorry that I don't watch enough network television to know who Ms Rimes is.
I shall refrain from a snarky response as to where I have been.

You are correct that AD has always featured celebrity homes but, it was a much smaller percentage of the articles and much of the time the person would, maybe, be in one small photo.

As for the advertising, the percentage of pages has gone up dramatically as the number of total pages has decreased.

Reactions: rando

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
@brad225

Did you build your own listening chair?

A subject of immensely greater relevance than glossy label on depictions.
rando,
If you go to the Members Systems, you will find mine on the 3rd page. It is under the listing My Happy Place.
You will find a few pictures of the chair before and after with some of the changes to it. Also a picture of the footstool before it was upholstered

Reactions: rando

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
First I will correct that AD has been published for 102 years and have been subscribing for only a litter over 40 years.

Cellcbern, I am sorry that I don't watch enough network television to know who Ms Rimes is.
I shall refrain from a snarky response as to where I have been.
Don't worry I never heard of her either, I know a couple of the shows @Cellcbern mentioned but I don't watch them. I highly recommend Abitare and Domus if you're looking for interesting architectural journals AD was always too formulaic and predictable for me specially with their photography that IMO covers up or competes with the subject matter; you see one issue you've seen them all.

david

Reactions: brad225

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
I like the concluding paragraph. One might think he picked up the adjective by reading the threads on WBF:

“The recording is not compressed-sounding like most modern recorded music is; it sounds natural(TM)*, so it should sound realistic through the hi-fi,” he says. He also cites its wide dynamic range, the air between the instruments, the front and center vocals, and even the silence between the notes. “When something sounds so natural(TM)*, it’s a great reference.”

* Trade Marking by WBF.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
  • Haha
Reactions: ddk

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I'd like to see AD interview someone like Hanson Hsu of DHDI on this subject:

FYI:

I would guess, what he had to say would be so over the heads of the average reader of AD, it would be a waste of his time. Mr Hsu appears to be a very talented person.

I think AD could interview many of the members here and have a great article to possibly create interest in our hobby.

Reactions: Cellcbern

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing