Interconnects for Gryphon Antileon and Gryphon Pandora?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Around 250LBS. Cumbersome but worth it. Or the APEX? That tips the scales North of 450LBS. Pure Class A has to be built right, with that comes the unfortunate weight! Good luck with everything Larry...John
I appreciate the encouragement, honestly, I do but I don’t think I’ll be able to upgrade beyond the Colosseum.

Even if I could get past the weight, the problem is the form factor. The only reason I can fit the Colosseum in my space is because it is oriented in a vertical fashion.

I don’t have the floor space to put in a large amplifier that takes up a lot of horizontal space.

I hope I’m doing the right thing with this upgrade. I’m expecting a significant improvement in sound quality. I don’t upgrade often. I like to move the needle a lot.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
What preamp did you have before?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
What preamp did you have before?
I’m currently running the Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambrosia II, designed by James Bongiorno, an audio pioneer.

James always provided a lot of bang for your buck. The preamp has both MC and MM phono stages, tape loops, tone controls, and a plethora of inputs. It weighs 50lbs.

I’m curious what people think I will gain and lose with the Pandora preamp.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I’m currently running the Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambrosia II, designed by James Bongiorno, an audio pioneer.

James always provided a lot of bang for your buck. The preamp has both MC and MM phono stages, tape loops, tone controls, and a plethora of inputs. It weighs 50lbs.

I’m curious what people think I will gain and lose with the Pandora preamp.
Larry The only one who will be able to make a accurate comparison will be you. I listen to what is said but far to many variables. Personally and this is far from etched in stone I prefer a Pre/Amp from the same company. Because I have the Pandora I think you will have a much lower noise floor which translates to many advantages. Including improved sound stage.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Larry The only one who will be able to make a accurate comparison will be you. I listen to what is said but far to many variables. Personally and this is far from etched in stone I prefer a Pre/Amp from the same company. Because I have the Pandora I think you will have a much lower noise floor which translates to many advantages. Including improved sound stage.
You’re right. We’re all conducting our own independent experiments. None of us have the same equipment, the same rooms, or the same ears.

With that said, one hopes that after spending some number of times more for a specific component that one sees a dramatic increase in sound quality.

Reactions: John T

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
My experience with my Pandora / Antileon EVO / Ethos setup was interconnect cables make an easily audible difference. Power cables less so but I went crazy on power cables anyway. Now with the swap to the Commander and Apex Stereo Amp I find it continues to be true. I have friends who tell me I am insane for what I have spent on cables. I ask them to bring what they think is sane over and we put them in place and listen. Then we switch to my expensive cables. The conversation usually ends.

When you buy expensive and extraordinary gear you don't do it any justice going cheap on cables. You pretty much should consider your gear worthy of the added expense. Unless you are a total cables don't matter sort of person in which case I am envious. I could have saved a lot of money if I was a cables don't matter sort of person. Unfortunately I have proven to myself time and time again that they do matter. And cables that get out of the way of the music cost a lot. Taking steps such as buying a $100 cable, then trying a $500 cable etc. just waste your time and money. I buy top of the line Stealth Audio Cables and stop worrying about it.

If you think you have found a better, more cost effective cable bring it on over and we will compare them. It's easy and it can be most interesting.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
My experience with my Pandora / Antileon EVO / Ethos setup was interconnect cables make an easily audible difference. Power cables less so but I went crazy on power cables anyway. Now with the swap to the Commander and Apex Stereo Amp I find it continues to be true. I have friends who tell me I am insane for what I have spent on cables. I ask them to bring what they think is sane over and we put them in place and listen. Then we switch to my expensive cables. The conversation usually ends.

When you buy expensive and extraordinary gear you don't do it any justice going cheap on cables. You pretty much should consider your gear worthy of the added expense. Unless you are a total cables don't matter sort of person in which case I am envious. I could have saved a lot of money if I was a cables don't matter sort of person. Unfortunately I have proven to myself time and time again that they do matter. And cables that get out of the way of the music cost a lot. Taking steps such as buying a $100 cable, then trying a $500 cable etc. just waste your time and money. I buy top of the line Stealth Audio Cables and stop worrying about it.

If you think you have found a better, more cost effective cable bring it on over and we will compare them. It's easy and it can be most interesting.
Curious if you demoed Gryphons Vanta cables, I have not. I should have been more specific in regards to power cables not being as fussy. I thought the same. What I like about Cardas Clear Beyond, they do as you say, they get out of the way. I demoed AudioQuest HC Dragon PC. I did not like them with the Mephisto at all. Unnatural! Yet the dude who does the YouTube videos Jay loved them with the Mephisto. I have never played with the Stealth cables, wouldn't surprise me in the least they do a marvelous job. You have an exceptional rig!! John

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018

I wasn’t looking to buy the cheapest cables possible, I just wanted some recommendations on buying good quality, most likely used, XLR cables.

I can raise some money selling off all of my RCA cables but I need to buy the XLRs over the next few months. After all, I need to get my Colosseum fixed first.

I’m not into calling people insane with regards to what they buy. Ok, the guy I worked for who was worth about half a billion dollars tortured me by playing a cheap Bluetooth speaker in the office. He was insane. People in offices should just use headphones or earphones. I liked my Etymotics.

if you hear a difference than it matters to you.

Most of my friends don’t understand why I buy any audiophile gear. Some of them could easily afford it but don’t think it matters at all.

As an aside, should I trust a guy from Indonesia selling Stealth audio cables? Are there fakes out there?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Curious if you demoed Gryphons Vanta cables
The Commander and the Apex came with Gryphons best power cables in the crates. I was pleased. I am not certain the name of the cables but I believe they have silver or silver coated wire. I never used the Gryphon cables that came with the Commander as the Stealth power cable I used with my Pandora were able to be used. Right now I am using the Gryphon power cables with the Apex as I had 15 amp Stealth cables on the Antileon Evo and the Apex requires 20 amp cables. The 20 amp Stealth cables to replace them are being built this week. It will be interesting to go from the Gryphon cables to the Stealth. You have to wonder about a component manufacturer who also makes cables. They could be on to something.... :)

Thank you for the compliment! It is a very enjoyable system. One thing I like about it is there is nothing to upgrade to currently from Gryphon. Whew!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The Commander and the Apex came with Gryphons best power cables in the crates. I was pleased. I am not certain the name of the cables but I believe they have silver or silver coated wire. I never used the Gryphon cables that came with the Commander as the Stealth power cable I used with my Pandora were able to be used. Right now I am using the Gryphon power cables with the Apex as I had 15 amp Stealth cables on the Antileon Evo and the Apex requires 20 amp cables. The 20 amp Stealth cables to replace them are being built this week. It will be interesting to go from the Gryphon cables to the Stealth. You have to wonder about a component manufacturer who also makes cables. They could be on to something.... :)

Thank you for the compliment! It is a very enjoyable system. One thing I like about it is there is nothing to upgrade to currently from Gryphon. Whew!
Please let me know what you think in regards to the Stealth Vs Gryphon. That will be interesting. The AQ Dragon HC are of Silver. I could not get my ears and brain to adjust. I use all Furutech PC. When I switched back from the AQ to the Furutech it was an easy call. I then shipped the AQ back. It was nice my dealer arranged a demo.

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Please let me know what you think in regards to the Stealth Vs Gryphon. That will be interesting. The AQ Dragon HC are of Silver. I could not get my ears and brain to adjust. I use all Furutech PC. When I switched back from the AQ to the Furutech it was an easy call. I then shipped the AQ back. It was nice my dealer arranged a demo.
I am told by many that the first listen to Dragons is always unimpressive. The legend goes that they need a couple hundred hours of use to show their full potential. Hmmmm.
I'll keep you posted on the results of the power cord change. After a 200,000 hours break in period, of course. ;)

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I am told by many that the first listen to Dragons is always unimpressive. The legend goes that they need a couple hundred hours of use to show their full potential. Hmmmm.
I'll keep you posted on the results of the power cord change. After a 200,000 hours break in period, of course. ;)
I did do a few hundred hours, not my cup of tea. Thank you, if I should upgrade one day to the APEX/COMMANDER this will be helpful.

Reactions: aangen

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
If any of you Gryphon owners are looking for Gryphon VIP Series XLR interconnect and VIP speaker cables please PM me.

digitaldevil

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2022
Scottsdale
I wasn’t looking to buy the cheapest cables possible, I just wanted some recommendations on buying good quality, most likely used, XLR cables.

I can raise some money selling off all of my RCA cables but I need to buy the XLRs over the next few months. After all, I need to get my Colosseum fixed first.

I’m not into calling people insane with regards to what they buy. Ok, the guy I worked for who was worth about half a billion dollars tortured me by playing a cheap Bluetooth speaker in the office. He was insane. People in offices should just use headphones or earphones. I liked my Etymotics.

if you hear a difference than it matters to you.

Most of my friends don’t understand why I buy any audiophile gear. Some of them could easily afford it but don’t think it matters at all.

As an aside, should I trust a guy from Indonesia selling Stealth audio cables? Are there fakes out there?
Hey Larry...any updates on your experience with the Pandora/Colosseum combination? Which interconnects did you choose?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Hey Larry...any updates on your experience with the Pandora/Colosseum combination? Which interconnects did you choose?
I haven’t gotten it back from the repair shop yet. They’re backed up and I said I would be patient.

I still need to buy some good XLR cables that won’t break the bank.

Reactions: digitaldevil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing