Innuos Pulsar ????

vert

Oct 26, 2015
After 2 weeks I returned the Pulsar to the store. I connected my old Auralic Aries Femto to the Booster power supply and something unexpected happened. Pulsar adds weight nicely, but also darkens and covers something. Auralic gives shine, lightness and greater detail for 6x less money. If you need extra weight, go with Pulsar. In my system I'm better with Aries. And in Booster, I recommend replacing the fuse with a better class one.

Congrats, you did the reverse upgrade and saved money ;)

vert

Oct 26, 2015
Sablon Audio S/PDIF cable with Bocchino plugs here (and full Sablon Audio cable loom for that matter) :) I believe great cables allows the equipment to present themselves from their best side and the synergy effect is difficult to overlook.

Having a two box solution dac+streamer, requires a reference digital cable to connect them. Otherwise you won't hear what the 2 boxes are capable of.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
yes, but it's got nothing to do with N20 in itself, not many streamers are immune to network noise and disturbances. most streamers will benefit.
It is often the case that the better the server, the greater the benefit from network optimizations.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Having a two box solution dac+streamer, requires a reference digital cable to connect them. Otherwise you won't hear what the 2 boxes are capable of.
Wouldn't agree with that. Using the Pulsar and Holo May DAC with Blue Jeans CAT6a ethernet cables and a Supra Excalibur USB cable. Digital cables should be made to the required international specification. Major industrial companies like Belden and Supra do this far more reliably than any handmade products. Belden have tested a lot of high-end ethernet cables and most fail to meet specification. Telegartner and similar type connectors don’t add anything and they may be worse, they are designed purely to enable a non-crimped retermination in cramped commercial and industrial installations.

I find it amusing that the features promoted by Sablon and others are often things that should more likely be avoided. Here in the UK where we use 13A safety fuses on every power cable, the legislation requires them to be mass produced to consistently meet specification. You can’t legally make one by hand and no one does.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Using the Pulsar and Holo May DAC with Blue Jeans CAT6a ethernet cables and a Supra Excalibur USB cable
Using nearly the same setup. Pulsar, May, modified Excalibur, modified Certified Cat 8 cables.

Reactions: ssfas

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have a quick question about the Zen series. You can add extra storage with a USB connected drive, correct?

vert

Oct 26, 2015
Wouldn't agree with that. Using the Pulsar and Holo May DAC with Blue Jeans CAT6a ethernet cables and a Supra Excalibur USB cable.
When I first installed a Black Cat Tron SPDIF cable, it made my previous digital cable sound broken. My jaw was on the ground.

And I've tried many of the ethernet cables out there, they all sound different.

Currently have a Fidata, which sounds totally different than an A-B ren tech or a Vertere HBS.

Fidata has an open, beautiful sound. Whereas Vertere has a massaged pleasing sound.

I also tried one of the ethernet cables built to required spec, I didn't keep it installed for 10 minutes.

But as long as you enjoy your setup, that's all that matters.

Reactions: tedwoods

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
When I first installed a Black Cat Tron SPDIF cable, it made my previous digital cable sound broken. My jaw was on the ground.

And I've tried many of the ethernet cables out there, they all sound different.

Currently have a Fidata, which sounds totally different than an A-B ren tech or a Vertere HBS.

Fidata has an open, beautiful sound. Whereas Vertere has a massaged pleasing sound.

I also tried one of the ethernet cables built to required spec, I didn't keep it installed for 10 minutes.

But as long as you enjoy your setup, that's all that matters.
That's my experience as well.
Ethernet cables (maybe unfortunately so...) still seem to matter to some degree, even after filtering and switches.
The whole subject as to why is far more complex than accepting they just make a difference and a clue may be found in how differences between different ethernet cables present themselves to different listeners.
Personally, speaking as a consumer, I feel that when it comes to effective ethernet noise reduction, in absolute terms perhaps, we're just not there yet...

vert

Oct 26, 2015
yes, but it's got nothing to do with N20 in itself, not many streamers are immune to network noise and disturbances. most streamers will benefit.

You were absolutely right.

I have an N20 right now and I can easily hear the network noise when there isn't a switch or gigafoil between the N20 and router.

In addition, ethernet cables still sound distinctly different even though the N20 is caching all of the streaming to SSD.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Heckyman

Oct 22, 2020
Wouldn't agree with that. Using the Pulsar and Holo May DAC with Blue Jeans CAT6a ethernet cables and a Supra Excalibur USB cable. Digital cables should be made to the required international specification. Major industrial companies like Belden and Supra do this far more reliably than any handmade products. Belden have tested a lot of high-end ethernet cables and most fail to meet specification. Telegartner and similar type connectors don’t add anything and they may be worse, they are designed purely to enable a non-crimped retermination in cramped commercial and industrial installations.

I find it amusing that the features promoted by Sablon and others are often things that should more likely be avoided. Here in the UK where we use 13A safety fuses on every power cable, the legislation requires them to be mass produced to consistently meet specification. You can’t legally make one by hand and no one does.
I sold my Sablon 2020 USB cable as to my ears the Holo cable I got with my May sounded no worse, and perhaps even better. And even works with my printer ;-)
I think much depends on synergy/taste.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I sold my Sablon 2020 USB cable as to my ears the Holo cable I got with my May sounded no worse, and perhaps even better. And even works with my printer ;-)
I think much depends on synergy/taste.
Let's not tell Sablon you said that :p

Lio67

Oct 27, 2022
since the last update, it is possible to read files on USB stick, has anyone tested ?
Is the SQ different than the USB file and the same file in streaming?
I recently move out, my system is still in boxes...:(

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
since the last update, it is possible to read files on USB stick, has anyone tested ?
Innuos provided this facility so if owners have people visiting, they can play from a usb stick. It was not intended as a primary music source, so don't expect it to be top quality.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
It is good to see, I will have to test this to see if it sounds better than files from my Roon Core. I'm pretty sure my Roon Core would not pass muster in Innuos's eyes either.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
It is good to see, I will have to test this to see if it sounds better than files from my Roon Core. I'm pretty sure my Roon Core would not pass muster in Innuos's eyes either.
Using Roon Server is one of Innuos’s preferred options.

Lio67

Oct 27, 2022
Innuos provided this facility so if owners have people visiting, they can play from a usb stick. It was not intended as a primary music source, so don't expect it to be top quality.
Ok but just to know if the difference is important or not.
I will use USB for some tracks not on Qobuz.

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Playing files off a USB stick on the Pulsar is nothing more than a utility feature and certainly nothing to write home about SQwise.
Besides, only a handful of files can be read off the USB stick.
I have a 256GB USB stick with dozens of files and only the first few (ten or so) show up under Sense.
Same files played through a Roon server (I've tested with latest generation Nucleus) sound less "noisy" overall, but still have the Roon "sound signature".
The same files again but pulled direct from the web (Tidal or Quobuz) without a Roon server sound much better still.
Currently, (YMMV of course) in the scenarios I've tried, SQ hierarchy was:
1. Innuos Zen series used as server (local files stored there) w/h Innuos Sense - Pulsar in end point mode.
2. Innuos Pulsar without a server w/h Innuos Sense (NAS for local files) in standalone mode.
3. HQPlayer server (in custom DIY PC) - Innuos Pulsar as NAA
4. Roon server (Nucleus) - Innuos Pulsar in endpoint mode.
I have even noticed a SQ difference between running the Pulsar with or without Tidal or Quobuz integration (slightly better SQ without but a pita) but it may just as well have been audiophilia nervosa.
Unless somebody other than myself confirms it, that is...:cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing