Incredible L1

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
My L1 is finally in my room and it feels like Christmas in August:) It is truly an incredible piece of gear even without X1.
As a new CH owner I have a couple of questions:
1. I have too much gain with my Lampizator dac when I use 242 output tubes, and it creates audible distortion. I was hoping that Input Gain setting would help to solve this issue, but it looks like I still hear some small distortion even at the lowest possible setting which is -6 dB. But according to the manual the gain is adjustable from -24 dB to +24 dB, but it does not go below -6 dB. Is it a mistake in the manual?
2. I assume that both XLR outputs are the same and it does not matter which one to use?
3. Shall I place the supplied plastic support discs under each foot even if I do not plan to use the adjustment spikes?

Thank you in advance.
Do you have Lampi with VC?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I always listen L1 with CH amp in Shop,Show,Friends home,so today nothing to do, i connect L1 and X1 to my second system that is

Wadia S7I
First Watt M2
Quad Corner Ribbon,first Quad made numbered in 600 copy from 1949 to 1955,then in 1957 did els 57

Wadia has a volume control and on instruction suggest to not connect a preamp because loose transparency

After listening i can tell that adding L1 and X1 sound is incredible,yes adding a pre to a dac or cd all know will increase scene,depth,dynamic,but sound is also more magic,natural,transparent but sweet,dense with body but very transparent on mid bass and deep bass

All know my love for CH,but really for me are incredible
Very nice.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My L1 is finally in my room and it feels like Christmas in August:) It is truly an incredible piece of gear even without X1.
As a new CH owner I have a couple of questions:
1. I have too much gain with my Lampizator dac when I use 242 output tubes, and it creates audible distortion. I was hoping that Input Gain setting would help to solve this issue, but it looks like I still hear some small distortion even at the lowest possible setting which is -6 dB. But according to the manual the gain is adjustable from -24 dB to +24 dB, but it does not go below -6 dB. Is it a mistake in the manual?
2. I assume that both XLR outputs are the same and it does not matter which one to use?
3. Shall I place the supplied plastic support discs under each foot even if I do not plan to use the adjustment spikes?

Thank you in advance.
I think #1 must be a mistake in the manual. For example my L10 manual says -6 to +6 db.

2. Both XLR outputs are the same.

3. I wouldn't do that. The default feet are pretty good.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I think #1 must be a mistake in the manual. For example my L10 manual says -6 to +6 db.

2. Both XLR outputs are the same.

3. I wouldn't do that. The default feet are pretty good.
Thanks a lot!

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I have another question for the experienced CH users.
I am now auditioning M1.1 monos and doing a comparison to Mephisto. Both are driven by L1. It’s interesting that Mephisto plays much louder than CH M1.1 monos. Shall I change the M1.1s gain setting and increase it to match the output of Mephisto? Is there a recommended sweet spot volume level for L1 or does it play equally good at all volumes?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I have another question for the experienced CH users.
I am now auditioning M1.1 monos and doing a comparison to Mephisto. Both are driven by L1. It’s interesting that Mephisto plays much louder than CH M1.1 monos. Shall I change the M1.1s gain setting and increase it to match the output of Mephisto? Is there a recommended sweet spot volume level for L1 or does it play equally good at all volumes?
Mephisto gain is 31dB. M1.1 gain is 24dB although you can add up to 6dB to M1.1.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Mephisto gain is 31dB. M1.1 gain is 24dB although you can add up to 6dB to M1.1.
Thanks, that explains the difference in volume I am hearing. But does it matter sound wise?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Thanks, that explains the difference in volume I am hearing. But does it matter sound wise?
abeidov,
Congratulations on your purchase of the L1. We are delighted that you are now listening to our M1.1 mono amps. Here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Amplifier Mode: I suggest you run the amps in true mono mode for the Sasha DAW. "Mono 1" for the left channel where the left speaker terminal is the output; "Mono 2" for the right channel where the right speaker terminal is the output.
2. Global / Local Feedback setting: Start with 0% on both amps. Then increase to 10%, and then 20%. The bass should get tighter but you want to select the % where the bass is tighter but the mids / highs do not get "hard". I believe you will choose one of the three settings I suggested based on our experiences with Sasha DAW. Sasha DAW is an excellent speaker!
3. Gain: I would try +1 and +1.5db on each amp. You are looking for the setting that gives you the best "leading edge transient" in the musical presentation.
4. Since there is a difference in gain between the amps, just turn the volume up when listening to the M1.1. There is no "ideal" spot for our volume control on the L1.
5. Finally, I hope that you are connecting our L1 to our M1.1 amps using an XLR cable. We are a true balanced design through and through.

Good luck

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
abeidov,
Congratulations on your purchase of the L1. We are delighted that you are now listening to our M1.1 mono amps. Here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Amplifier Mode: I suggest you run the amps in true mono mode for the Sasha DAW. "Mono 1" for the left channel where the left speaker terminal is the output; "Mono 2" for the right channel where the right speaker terminal is the output.
2. Global / Local Feedback setting: Start with 0% on both amps. Then increase to 10%, and then 20%. The bass should get tighter but you want to select the % where the bass is tighter but the mids / highs do not get "hard". I believe you will choose one of the three settings I suggested based on our experiences with Sasha DAW. Sasha DAW is an excellent speaker!
3. Gain: I would try +1 and +1.5db on each amp. You are looking for the setting that gives you the best "leading edge transient" in the musical presentation.
4. Since there is a difference in gain between the amps, just turn the volume up when listening to the M1.1. There is no "ideal" spot for our volume control on the L1.
5. Finally, I hope that you are connecting our L1 to our M1.1 amps using an XLR cable. We are a true balanced design through and through.

Good luck
Hi Ralph, thank you for the suggestions. I am doing everything exactly the way you recommend. My impression so far is that M1.1s are not fully broken in. They probably have less than 100 hours on them. What is the recommended break in time for the M1.1s?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Ralph, thank you for the suggestions. I am doing everything exactly the way you recommend. My impression so far is that M1.1s are not fully broken in. They probably have less than 100 hours on them. What is the recommended break in time for the M1.1s?
May I ask which cables are you using? Looking forward to your updates. Many thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The only thing you 'might find' [with 31.5db gain in the Mephisto vs the 26 in the CH M1.1] is a slight difference in your ability to finetune the volume level particularly on the softest/lowest level. In our case, we use to drive the Mephisto with the CJ GAT 2 (25db gain) which meant that at volume 1, it was actually very audible. Then when we switched to the Robert Koda K15EX (8db gain), it was much softer at volume 1.

The great thing about these electronics is that even at volume 1...you hear EVERYTHING...even the deep pulse of the bass and the voices/clarity in the echoes. It really makes for amazing late nite listening no matter that others may be sleeping in the house. If anything, as electronics got better in our system...we actually found ourselves turning the system DOWN even if we knew that we could turn it up with less distortion. And the reason is the lower noise floor, its exceptional sub-1 watt performance enabled the entire system to play masterfully at these lower levels.

Look forward to hearing what you think of the might CH 1.1s in comparison with the Mephistos.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I suggest around 300 hours. I've heard the full measure of M1.1 at 300 hours and others (including our US Dealers and owners!) say it takes a bit longer. Your patience will be rewarded.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
May I ask which cables are you using? Looking forward to your updates. Many thanks
I have High Fidelity CT-2 Double Helix Signature XLR between L1 and amps and the same model of HFC speaker cables. Gryphon VIP XLR from phono stage to L1, Kubala Sosna Elation RCA from dac to L1. Power cables are assortment of Sablon, Shunyata and Coincident Statement. Unfortunately, I do not have access to any audiophile C19 power cords, so currently using stock power cords with M1.1s.

Reactions: ashandger

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am interested in your comparisons between M1.1 and Mephisto.

These are two totally different sounds. There really is no similarity. You could prefer either, or neither

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I have High Fidelity CT-2 Double Helix Signature XLR between L1 and amps and the same model of HFC speaker cables. Gryphon VIP XLR from phono stage to L1, Kubala Sosna Elation RCA from dac to L1. Power cables are assortment of Sablon, Shunyata and Coincident Statement. Unfortunately, I do not have access to any audiophile C19 power cords, so currently using stock power cords with M1.1s.
Many thanks for the feedback.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
These are two totally different sounds. There really is no similarity. You could prefer either, or neither
Interesting that you say that. They are indeed different, the big question is why? They are both SOTA, and therefore should be close to the the ideal: sound of live music:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting that you say that. They are indeed different, the big question is why? They are both SOTA, and therefore should be close to the the ideal: sound of live music:)

They are both expensive. that's the only commonality

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing