Incredible L1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, the point is not that if you play another recording if I prefer CH or gryphon, it is whether the color is retained or not on Gryphon as compared to CH. You know which is more transparent if different recordings sound more different as compared to samey.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
His system does sound more engaging with the Gryphon from those videos.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Aziz did you have any copyright issues when posting to youtube? If so, how did you get around it please?

Your playback sounds excellent regardless of amps used by the way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Aziz, I preferred the second in the Waltz (think that's the gryphon), and the first in the Mood Indigo, though here the difference I found minor.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi Aziz did you have any copyright issues when posting to youtube? If so, how did you get around it please?

Your playback sounds excellent regardless of amps used by the way.
Thank you, Jack! Normally I do not have any copyright issues. For example, YouTube says “copyright claim” in case of the last 4 videos, but does not block them. Unless you post some Elvis records or Led Zeppelin or similar, you should be fine.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thanks Aziz, I preferred the second in the Waltz (think that's the gryphon), and the first in the Mood Indigo, though here the difference I found minor.
Number 1 amp is Gryphon, number 2 - CH. To be honest I did not expect CH to be so good today. It must be the breaking in thing.

John C

Dec 18, 2015
Number 1 amp is Gryphon, number 2 - CH. To be honest I did not expect CH to be so good today. It must be the breaking in thing
Both sound great! I was surprised to notice a pretty audible difference between the two. I prefer the sound of the CH hands down based on those videos. Thanks for posting.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...I definitely preferred the treatment of harp/strings around 0:45 - 0:55 in Video 1 of the classical piece above and felt that 1 gave more body/swing to the overall presentation. I also felt the swell from the orchestra underneath around 1:00-1:10 benefited from it.

At the same time, you did not need that swell from underneath (particularly bass) in the Mood Swing where the CH did a nice job and certainly the video revealed more detail in the bass presentation than in the 1st video.

And yes, overall more similarity than differences all things considered. You clearly have two amazing amps from which to choose!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's the thing when we are comparing the good stuff. Often times it is just a matter of what part of our psyches are triggered :)

I like how the Gryphons take a piano and make it foundational in a piece and makes you swooooooon in ecstasy while I also like how the CH's take the strings and pulls you in from your solar plexus into pre-orgasmic intensity with the same piece LOL.

Like I said, excellent playback either way. Do you like to swoon or involuntarily make funny faces? I dunno about you guys but to me those are awesome choices :D

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I must confess: the first 2 Chopin videos were recorded with 2 different cable sets. Gryphon was done with Transparent Ultra (XLR and speaker cables), and CH - with High Fidelity. Unfortunately, I could not use Transparent with CH as the Transparent XLR cable was too short. The last 4 videos were recorded using High Fidelity cables.
Anyway, I thought it would not matter much, but now I think probably High Fidelity cables are too forward sounding, especially for Gryphon. I definitely prefer Transparent cabling in case of Gryphon and just wonder how it would sound with CH monos:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say having owned TA for over 15 years and Gryphon for over 12 years...they do go well exceedingly well together. That said, my [personal] observation is that you get to clearer, more extended treble starting at TA Reference and above. If you really like Gryphon and TA...and decide to stay with this pairing, you might wish to consider going with TA Ref...even their older models MM2 are exceptional.

Reactions: abeidrov

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dude. Your ears are getting rusty. I havent listened to stereo for months I could still tell which is Gryphon which is CH from those vids.
I didnt know Covid has effect on ears.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I listened to the waltz from the Nutcracker for both amps. Amp 2 sounded a bit more transparent with better articulation of the horns and basses. Tonality on the woodwinds seemed a bit skewed upwards - it sounded slightly artificial. Amp 1 was a touch warmer but did less harm.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing