iFi audio personal stereo

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Zen Signature Dac msrp $249.95

Zen Can Signature 6xx msrp $249.95
If you are looking for a mini stereo for work or office this may be for you. WhiIe I am sure there are others available this one is dedicated to the Sennheiser 6xx. that is an eq curve dedicated to that headphone. Sadly I did not have that headphone available. I use the Senheiser HD 800S.
Because there are many videos on unboxing and features on You tube I will refer there for a detailed description.
These two components were on loan from iFi Audio. Thank you Kayo. Let me take this opportunity to apologize to every reviewer I ever criticized. They know why. Smile
Both the dac and what I call an integrated headamp retail for around $249 a piece. As always check the internet for discounts. I suggest evaluating on a 30 day return policy. Also a significant break in is advised. It is highly recommended to purchase these as a pair ,if they are what you desire. They have excellent fit and finish. They should pass WAF.
They appear to be sturdily built and would be perfect for your den or office. They take up very little space. As always make sure the connections are clean and tight.
When used with a quality pair of the headphones this combo definitely qualifies as a high end device. When connected toyour lap top or desktop it definitely qualifies as high end device. Ii find it to be better at macro rather micro presentation. if you are a full orchestra/choral lover this may be for you. It has great dynamics. It never gives up and has deep powerful bass. was satisfied but not wowed by its micro presentation. I do not know how much of this due to the HD 800S.
Let me say this. As I moved up the digital scale I could definitely hear the difference between sampling rates. It may well be I could be tricked by a blind test. Who knows?
I can recommend this for what I think is its' intended purpose. A secondary system for enjoyment while working on the computer.
Enjoy the music.

For a discography check my threads npr tiny desk, who is she, and HD tracks to name a few.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Does it have the ability to control/play through desk speakers as well ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Does it have the ability to control/play through desk speakers as well ?
I did not try that. My answer is yes? Power may be an issue. But if you are running it through your stereo you would only need the dac.

Last edited:

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
O did not try that. My answer is yes? Power may be an issue. But if you are running it through your stereo you would only need the dac.
Yes.. that’s what I meant, if it works as a preamp for using speakers w/amp (Outputs for external).
I currently have a modi multibit R2R DAC for my desktop system. Priced at $250, made in sunny Calif..
How would it compare to same priced unit in your review ? I like the iFi products on paper, never had the opportunity to try one out yet.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Interesting that they advertise some capacitors as a bonus... ones I cannot stand the sound of!

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Os-Con's?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Os-Con's depend on the use, but Elna's are basically horrendous all the time.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
That is new to me...Os-Con's need time that i know but Elna's have something smooth...I like it in digital stuff and as cathode decoupling C's. I would like to know what your findings are...maybe PM if this will be off topic..

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes.. that’s what I meant, if it works as a preamp for using speakers w/amp (Outputs for external).
I currently have a modi multibit R2R DAC for my desktop system. Priced at $250, made in sunny Calif..
How would it compare to same priced unit in your review ? I like the iFi products on paper, never had the opportunity to try one out yet.
Sorry. i do not have enough experience to rank dacs. You cannot directly drive speakers with these units. MAybe with a self amplified speaker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing