If Money and and Real Estate weren't a concern, what Speaker would you select?

If Money and Real Estate weren't a concern, what Speaker would you choose?

• Focal Grand Utopia EM

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Genesis 1.2 (Current Flagship)

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Magico Q7

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • MBL X-Treme

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Rockport Arrakis 2

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Scaena Flagship model

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • TAD Ref

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • YG Sonja

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Von Schweikert Universe Flagship

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters
Well if money and real estate wasn't a concern, I'd have all of them and then a few :) Sorry for being a smart ass :)

I am surprised by the overwhelming desire to own the MBL-Xtremes. I have never listened to them, but a neighbor of mine has the MBL 101's powered by Spectral electronics, and they just don't play with majesty and grandeur.

Are the Xtremes, which are essentially two 101's that much different?

Already Have Them

Already have them: Sound Lab Ultimate U-1PX. These are in my living room, with an open floor plan, so music fills the home almost constantly. And, they are a fraction of the cost compared to other top choices.
U-1PX.jpg

Many audiophile/music lovers already know Sound Lab electrostatic speakers are among the very best, and that they are a bargain. It's surprising they are not among the choices in the poll.

..neither Boehner nor Pelosi :D

Already have them: Sound Lab Ultimate U-1PX. These are in my living room, with an open floor plan, so music fills the home almost constantly. And, they are a fraction of the cost compared to other top choices.
View attachment 13948

Many audiophile/music lovers already know Sound Lab electrostatic speakers are among the very best, and that they are a bargain. It's surprising they are not among the choices in the poll.

Caesar already indicated that the system limits the number of choices that he can list to ten. That's why there's the other button.

View attachment 13948

Yes, I own them and love them. They have an unmatched midrange and inner detail, but unfortunately they can't get dynamic bass right. Unfortunately, rock and blues just don't sound real (although they can sound good depending on the recording). As an example, last RMAF, Wilson had an awesome demo that played a military marching band, thanks to WBF's own Bruce Brown's work. The midrange sucked in that demo, but the bass was as good as you'll ever hear. Those who heard it will never forget those drum thwacks. Unfortunately, Soundlabs can't do that. But for those who love vocals, smaller scale music, jazz, etc., I agree with you.

I am surprised by the overwhelming desire to own the MBL-Xtremes. I have never listened to them, but a neighbor of mine has the MBL 101's powered by Spectral electronics, and they just don't play with majesty and grandeur.

No they are very different than a pair of 101's. The Xtreme's properly set-up up disappear as speakers and virtually energize the room with music.

At least to me pairing 101's with Spectral is surprising.

I have heard the x-treme 2 times and the only thing about them that is X-treme is there size.

Genesis 1.2 or Arrakis 2...Have heard both the Genesis 1.1 and Arrakis 2, both exceedingly well setup by owners who know their stuff and with access to near limitless amounts of equipment. Nuance, tone and scale...the likes of which I have not heard before from other speakers. (For me), this includes Focal Grande EMs, X2, XLF, Tidal Sunray + dual Tidal tower subs, Aidas, TAD Ref Ones, which represent a number of the other large speakers I have been fortunate to hear.

I chose the big genesis based on the hearing the IRS V. I too would love to hear the Magico ultimates, maybe he can redeem himself from that abomination known as the q7 :rolleyes:

I wish I had 3 rooms

VR-11 Mk2 (actually the current flagship not the Universe ;) ) in the room I have now. This is attainable.

This next one isn't price wise but would work in my present room. Boy would it scratch my SET/Horn itch

Living Voice Vox Olympian with 2 pairs of Lamm ML3, LL1 and LP1

A small room system is a bit trickier. There are so many more to choose from. What I would really like to hear is the Langerton 4 tower. The design is so odd it is seriously intriguing. At a claimed 96dB sensitivity, lots of amp choices too. It was designed by Ascendo's former head honcho/founder.

Others on the big boy list are the G Dragon, X-treme and VR-111 all of which really will need a room much bigger than what I have now.

View attachment 13948

man, I thought my surfboards were big....LOL
would love to hear those. :)

I voted other. Why? Because I truly love my system and it's sonic signature along with everything it provides. It was built by me, for me and to my ear's liking from a plethora of trial and error to get to where I am at now.

Now, with that said, the next speaker on my mind would be the Wilson Alexia in a room I designed and built from the ground up and with the same amount of time spent on achieving what I already have with possibly the same amount of gear in and out as I have done with my current system [which is a lot]. This time would be different though. I have learned a lot along the way and the way I would go about building and designing said system would be almost a polar opposite of how I have achieved what I have so far.

With that said, my speaker choice may change after all is said and done but you asked the question, I answered. This is my honest answer.

Tom

My apologies to the Wilson fans for not including them in the list.

Fantasies and imagination aside, I believe Wilson is the biggest gorilla in the industry and outsells their nearest competitor 3 or 4 to 1. This is just a guess; I don't have any industry data. I am not sure anyone has real industry sales data.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing