Ideon Absolute E and Time Demo

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Our demo is here, no comments yet on the sound, but here are some pics.

A354D456-8298-44C1-BE7B-14DEF730E4F1.jpeg

90767C0C-BAF6-43D6-859E-7CA0169FC945.jpeg

56D324A8-3D9C-499A-8692-7C568999442E.jpeg

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We are demoing the Ideon with the Vitus SL-103 Line Stage as well.

28492BBA-4FE7-4613-B317-DA36200C4B9A.jpeg

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Preliminary Report:

The sound of the Ideon Absolute E + Time is absolutely amazing. This is the best sounding DAC that we’ve ever heard “to date” in our system or in any other. Everything is just right. The soundstage is deep and wide and absolutely fills the room. It’s an amazing natural sound that puts you center stage for the best sound in the house. I literally don’t need a TT with this DAC! It’s really that good.

However, we tried it with two Pre’s. With the EMM Labs Pre and the other the Vitus 103-SL.

The sound that’s is so glorious is with the EMM Pre (gain set to “0” on the DAC). It’s presently playing. However, with the Vitus we discovered that we needed to adjust the DAC gain to “2” to get it to sound its very best, but it was still shy of the EMM presentation.

*** This highlights the need to demo a component in your system before you purchase it. ***

Another possible complication with the Ideon is the fact that you have one USB connection (for your streamer) and one SPDIF connector that goes to the CD Transport. I’m still investigating if it will connect to our Vitus MP-201 Mk. II CD Transport that we desire. I believe it does, but I must be sure.

For the best synergy in our system I probably need to go with the Vitus Pre and CD Transport and then locate the right DAC, though our present EMM PRE, DAC, and SACD already sound amazing in our system. However, I’m looking for what is the best sound to us, nothing less. And the Vitus Pre is very very special!

I still have one more DAC to demo, the Lampi Horizon. I’ve read great things about it. I have a friend that received one lately and absolutely loves it. I’m looking forward to the Horizon demo!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Preliminary Report:

The sound of the Ideon Absolute E + Time is absolutely amazing. This is the best sounding DAC that we’ve ever heard “to date” in our system or in any other. Everything is just right. The soundstage is deep and wide and absolutely fills the room. It’s an amazing natural sound that puts you center stage for the best sound in the house. I literally don’t need a TT with this DAC! It’s really that good.

However, we tried it with two Pre’s. With the EMM Labs Pre and the other the Vitus 103-SL.

The sound that’s is so glorious is with the EMM Pre (gain set to “0” on the DAC). It’s presently playing. However, with the Vitus we discovered that we needed to adjust the DAC gain to “2” to get it to sound its very best, but it was still shy of the EMM presentation.

*** This highlights the need to demo a component in your system before you purchase it. ***

Another possible complication with the Ideon is the fact that you have one USB connection (for your streamer) and one SPDIF connector that goes to the CD Transport. I’m still investigating if it will connect to our Vitus MP-201 Mk. II CD Transport that we desire. I believe it does, but I must be sure.

For the best synergy in our system I probably need to go with the Vitus Pre and CD Transport and then locate the right DAC, though our present EMM PRE, DAC, and SACD already sound amazing in our system. However, I’m looking for what is the best sound to us, nothing less. And the Vitus Pre is very very special!

I still have one more DAC to demo, the Lampi Horizon. I’ve read great things about it. I have a friend that received one lately and absolutely loves it. I’m looking forward to the Horizon demo!
I am not surprised that you like Epsilon Dac since I had it at home audition for one week.

It is one of the best Dac available except Wadax which is another level above MSB, Epsilon and Horizon.

I had listened to Horizon at Pacific Audiofest but not at my home.

It sounds fresh and delicate whiie Epsilon sounds balanced and powerful.

My opinion is that it depends on system and personal taste to choose between Epsilon and Horizon.

Let us see what is your impression of Horizon in due course.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Agree with that one-line comparison between Lampi and Ideon.

Reactions: thomask

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Preliminary Report:

I had a similar first reaction to the Epsilon sound (Epsilon + Time). In my case, this also reflects the "laziness accommodating factor" of that combo:
no set-up / tuning as required by (my) TT
excellent sound, and repeatable sound quality (but strings on a top TT are magical!)

I use the coaxial connection - with a Magnat or a Metronome, not a Vitus -- and it works perfectly fine.

Have done the Horizon - Epsilon comparison (very briefly, more so the Pacific) with & without the Time.
Looking forward to your experience!

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I am not surprised that you like Epsilon Dac since I had it at home audition for one week.

It is one of the best Dac available except Wadax which is another level above MSB, Epsilon and Horizon.

I had listened to Horizon at Pacific Audiofest but not at my home.

It sounds fresh and delicate whiie Epsilon sounds balanced and powerful.

My opinion is that it depends on system and personal taste to choose between Epsilon and Horizon.

Let us see what is your impression of Horizon in due course.
I agree that the Ideon sounds powerful. The bass is definitive and glorious through this DAC. Everything feels naturally accentuated but balanced and so very very musical. I’m hearing more detail than ever, but with no hint of digital in the flow of the music. Everything sounds analogue. It’s a captivating sound.

I think what’s wonderful to me at the present moment is how it helps to clean up some old recorded CDs I have. I experienced this when adding the Vitus amps and Pre but now it’s at a different level of refinement. It cleaned up all but some of Nikki Parrot’s CDs. Some very bad recordings on three of them.

We are going to try it with the Vitus Pre again in a few days. The Ideon’s sound has changed a little - for the better - now since it has settled in some more. Also when we tried the Vitus it was ice cold (we really have cold weather in N. FL - only 20s and 30s which for some of you is only a day at the beach) so we are letting it settle in.

Can‘t wait to hear the HORIZON. From what I’ve heard it’s supposed to be stunning.

I agree that at this level a lot of selecting of a DAC is very personal. The synergy between the electronics is a must, but ultimately our ears must inform us to what’s best for us.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
If a component is "cleaning up" a recording said component is not reproducing the recording as presented.

Sounds like your Vitus gear does the same thing.......

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
This DAC is amazing. It’s settling in now and WOW! While everything is excellent I’ve never heard base like this coming from a DAC. That and the fact I have Magico M3s that IMO better defines the bass of any recording is a match made in heaven.

However, the whole sound is simply stunning. I worked with it on all day. I kept getting distracted as I was hearing details I’d never heard before in songs I know very well. And the soundstage has improved as well - which I didn’t think was possible. So, far this DAC is beating all the DACs that I have heard. One more to go, the Horizon … It will hopefully be here after the 1st sometime.…

We‘re going to put the Vitus SL-103 back in soon. More special days ahead.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
This DAC is amazing. It’s settling in now and WOW! While everything is excellent I’ve never heard base like this coming from a DAC. That and the fact I have Magico M3s that IMO better defines the bass of any recording is a match made in heaven.

However, the whole sound is simply stunning. I worked with it on all day. I kept getting distracted as I was hearing details I’d never heard before in songs I know very well. And the soundstage has improved as well - which I didn’t think was possible. So, far this DAC is beating all the DACs that I have heard. One more to go, the Horizon … It will hopefully be here after the 1st sometime.…

We‘re going to put the Vitus SL-103 back in soon. More special days ahead.
Hi Joe

Could you upload the video of the sound using your cell phone?

It will help to get rough idea how it sound in your system.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Preliminary Report:

Hi Audire, I noticed that you are putting in a lot of efforts and money in search of the best DAC, Pre and Power Amplifiers for your sound system. But you have so far neglected searching for the best signal and power cables, footers, resonance control racks and power conditioners for your sound system! And to complicate the matter further, I think adding a pair of Magico top-of-range subwoofer will greatly improved your sound system.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
But you have so far neglected searching for the best signal and power cables, footers, resonance control racks and power conditioners for your sound system! And to complicate the matter further, I think adding a pair of Magico top-of-range subwoofer will greatly improved your sound system.
With all due respect, I don;t see how Audire can research wires at this time: he hasn't yet chosen the equipment.

BTW Audire, which filter have you settled on? I presently favour the fast roll-off - linear phase.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi,

There is no denying that the highest quality audio components deserve the highest quality ancillary components such as cables, resonance control footers and racks. The quality and cost need to commensurate with the quality of the equipment they connect, etc. Only then we can fairly determined the quality of each component under test.

Reactions: eskamobob1

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
With all due respect, I don;t see how Audire can research wires at this time: he hasn't yet chosen the equipment.

BTW Audire, which filter have you settled on? I presently favour the fast roll-off - linear phase.
I’m using the fast roll-off as well. I hear more detail.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Audire, I noticed that you are putting in a lot of efforts and money in search of the best DAC, Pre and Power Amplifiers for your sound system. But you have so far neglected searching for the best signal and power cables, footers, resonance control racks and power conditioners for your sound system! And to complicate the matter further, I think adding a pair of Magico top-of-range subwoofer will greatly improved your sound system.
I have an excellent power conditioner - Shunyata Everest. That’s not changing. There is no room in my present room for subs. Those will come in time if I build a new room. As far as cabling, I am using high end Shunyata and it does what it is supposed to do. After I finish my equipment upgrades then I may begin to explore cables. My racks are already excellent. However, later on I may upgrade to some SGR, the same company that makes the MSB racks. But one step at a time.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Joe

Could you upload the video of the sound using your cell phone?

It will help to get rough idea how it sound in your system.

I tried this today but can’t post it. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Reactions: thomask

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
You can upload it to Youtube and then paste the link of it.

I’ve never uploaded to YT, don’t even have an acct. But I’ll register tomorrow and after I get done writing tomorrow, I try to do it again ….

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This review contains a lot of internal photos of the Epsilon DAC :

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing