I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just go by my ears. Tbh I never had my system without power conditioners and audiophile power cords until now. If anyone wants to go by lowest scientifically measurable noise in electricity, he should buy the Trinity power conditioner like I did. I spent something like $30,000 for that. Go look at Trinity thread in AE forum and you can find all the measurements. I dont suggest everyone to not use what they have. I suggested only Christian to try since his moving will already involve a big change and the connect/disconnecting of gears. And also because he has the ultimate front that let you hear any thing that changesdown the line.

Tang :)

Sorry to disagree, but if someone wants to buy a power conditioner using science he needs a lot more information than the few plots selected for marketing by audio manufacturers. There is no unique ideal power conditioner. Even if we want to carry the selection based on technical parameters , before taking any decision we must analyze our mains with some care and depth and look at the technical requirements of our systems.

And then we have the subjective evaluation, something that must carried with time, and where many surprises can happen. It is not possible to have rules, our preferences are too variable.

BTW, science is of little help in most of these power conditioning matters. In order to apply science to solve a problem you must be able to define it clearly and have a model of the interactions between the parts involved. As far as I know such thing does not exist in hour hobby.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sorry to disagree, but if someone wants to buy a power conditioner using science he needs a lot more information than the few plots selected for marketing by audio manufacturers. There is no unique ideal power conditioner. Even if we want to carry the selection based on technical parameters , before taking any decision we must analyze our mains and look at the technical requirements of our systems.

And then we have the subjective evaluation, something that must carried with time, and where many surprises can happen. It is not possible to have rules, our preferences are too variable.

BTW, science is of little help in most of these power conditioning matters. In order to apply science to solve a problem you must be able to define it clearly and have a model of the interactions between the parts involved. As far as I know such thing does not exist in hour hobby.

You can go into the AE forum and discuss about tech with Dietmar of Trinity, He is no marketing guy. You will have a great time talking methodology with him. He is a crazy measurement driven dude.

Tang ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
London has the same problem, voltage fluctuating between 237 to 253 with noise. No idea what the best solution is.

Nothing wrong with it, unless your equipment is poorly designed ... :)

Many people have much worst conditions - considering an average of 245V your maximum fluctuation is around 3%.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You can go into the AE forum and discuss about tech with Dietmar of Trinity, He is no marketing guy. You will have a great time talking methodology with him. He is a crazy measurement driven dude.

Tang ;)

I have tried debating with him in WBF in the past - he was a contributing member here. We exchanged a few posts and then he politely declined to do it, using the argument that he had to protect his intellectual property.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am not crazy about cords but I need to protect gear from fluctuations
Since when do you have gear?
I mean apart from your unicorn GG? ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nothing wrong with it, unless your equipment is poorly designed ... :)

Many people have much worst conditions - considering an average of 245V your maximum fluctuation is around 3%.

How will I know if my equipment can withstand the fluctuations, unless it breaks, then I know it can't. Also, then I cannot risk buying used from the EU which has a 220v

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Since when do you have gear?
I mean apart from your unicorn GG? ;)

I own a very good phono, retail more expensive than the GG. I owned atmasphere, Berning zh270, and Ayon 300w amps. Luckily, none of these got played at my place directly from the wall.

Though I have a PP 2000 for 230v so I can run EU stuff

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can you elaborate on the phono?

Is this a PS Audio PowerPlant?

Purepower 2000.

Phono, soon.

Btw I just mentioned the gear that has power requirement.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I am giving my purepower 2000 and its battery unit, pus some extra to get the Torus avr 30. Main idea for me is getting rid of the noise and isolation transformer seems to be a fitting idea. Purepower is great when run from battery, but makes noise with my system when connected to mains. It was generally on 50 percent load and is about a 2k watts unit. Torus avr 30 says 7200VA and 30a, so quite a lot more headroom for me, if its worth it... I still havent made the exchange, I am on the brink, thus my dilemma...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kodomo, I've gone from Burmester 948 conditioner, to Airlink 3kVA balanced transformer, to Westwick 8kVA balanced transformer. Each a major progression from the last.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
FWIW, I have my entire rig plugged into the BIT 16 which is essentially a Torus with a 3400VA transformer. I have never felt any loss of dynamics. On the contrary the immediate impact was the system became much quieter and sounded better.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I just go by my ears. Tbh I never had my system without power conditioners and audiophile power cords until now.

Yes, I have zero audiophile power chords too. That topic is basically finished for me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We all hear what we want to hear.
We all spend what we want to spend.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
For whatever it is worth I did not notice any lack of dynamics in Chris’s system. Of course we did not directly compare anything with and without his conditioners before is amplifiers, but I heard incredible dynamics and effortlessness from his system and it was very low noise.

Perhaps it would sound better without him but I have no idea without actually trying it one way and then the other. I like tangos suggestion to try it without at his new place because everything is being moved anyway and he is essentially starting over in a completely new environment.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Very true, the only thing you see are measurements filtering out some "noise" without any correlation to anything but with all kinds of claims of black matter. In the meantime you're randomly backing up transformers, chokes, filters etc. with what's already built into the equipment.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing