I have updated my fantastic Model 8tihc, which I play, for info, preamps

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
hi Analogsa, hi I model 8T I find it exceptional even more 'musical mono 7 maybe because' the latter have more power, I also heard in a Showroom Hifi a pre criterion with amp 625 jr the sound was very clear and low frequency range and low he did not convince me

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
On the back panel of the amp, there is a switch to toggle between 26db of gain and 32db. I use the 26db with my Sonus Fabers.

and the internal impedance and high or low ??? with which preamplifier do you use it?

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
these are the technical features of the AR ref6 pre;

Frequency response: +0-3dB, 0.4Hz to 200kHz at rated output (balanced, 200k ohms load)
Distortion: Less than .01% at 2V RMS BAL output
Crosstalk: -88dB or better at 1kHz and 10kHz
Gain: Main output: 12dB balanced output, 6dB SE output. Record out: 0dB (processor input: 0dB balanced output)
Input impedance: 120kohms balanced, 60kohms SE. Inputs: 4 balanced, 4 single-ended. Assignable processor pass-through
Output impedance: 600 ohms balanced, 300 ohms SE Main (2). 20kohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capacitance
Inputs: 4 × XLR, 4 × RCA
Outputs: 2 × main, 1 × record out (XLR and RCA connectors)
Output polarity: Non-inverting
Tube complement: 6 × 6H30P dual triodes, plus 1 × 6550WE & 1 × 6H30P in power supply
Dimensions (WHD): 480 × 198 × 419mm

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
DaveyF,
I like 32 dB the sound has more dynamic body

Yes, in many models lower gains were achieved increasing feedback in Rowlands. IMHO the best sounding position was always the higher gain, although sometimes it is not possible to use them to excessive preamplfier gain or noise, or even high efficiency speakers.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF,
I like 32 dB the sound has more dynamic body

That could be with your speakers and room size. Not the case with my speakers and room size. On the high gain setting with my system, the amp exhibits too much glare. An obvious mismatch.

Since I use a modded CAT preamp, I use the high impedance setting, I believe with tube preamps this is the recommended setting...and again it certainly sounds better in my system. YMMV.

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
today I also tried a passive pre Cello ,,, as good as it seemed like the pre Pandora of Gryphon I used. but 'without nuances without low range but very natural, then I put the Ref.6 another world ....... but' I believe a lot in pre-passive, there are 2 that I like very much, Audio Tekne 9701 and Luxman AT3000 I have to find them and try them in the hifi system
salone1.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
today I also tried a passive pre Cello ,,, as good as it seemed like the pre Pandora of Gryphon I used. but 'without nuances without low range but very natural, then I put the Ref.6 another world ....... but' I believe a lot in pre-passive, there are 2 that I like very much, Audio Tekne 9701 and Luxman AT3000 I have to find them and try them in the hifi system
View attachment 44019

IMHO Rowland's needed active preamplifiers. I remember that the Cello Etude was not a great passive - the sound quality depended a lot of the volume setting. IMHO people were paying more for the mechanics and feeling than for the sound. I still own a Vishay Audio Synthesis that out performed it by a wide margin - I use it mainly for measurements, I prefer active preamplfiers.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Agree I had an Etude-- rather gutless I thought--smooth Volume control but frankly no Balls-- it suffered from impedance mismatches with the Amps also.

There are better out there--I like Dave Slagles efforts.

BruceD

Cello7.jpg

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Consider trying the Luxman C-900u pre-amp. I just had one on extended audition with my Rowland 625 S2 and it is a superlative match. Rich, powerful, detailed...it has it all...plus build quality and user interface are top notch.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Why not using the JRDG Coherence II or the JRDG Continuum Preamps?
I had for a time the model 9TiHC for the main speakers and the 8 TiHC for the subwoofers, perfect match with Coherence II

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
[QUOTE = "shakti, post: 536229, membro: 6864"] Perché non utilizzare JRDG Coherence II o il JRDG Continuum Preamp?
Ho avuto per un momento il modello 9TiHC per i diffusori principali e l'8 TiHC per i subwoofer, perfetto abbinamento con Coherence II [/ QUOTE]
Mi piacerebbe provare il koda cosa hai nel tuo profilo, il pre continum jr ho ascoltato meglio il ref 6 ar sonoro più dettagliato e con piu 'basso range. la choerence II non ha mai provato. comunque ho regolato il mio setup e ho messo il guadagno del modello da 8 a 26 db e ora tutto va bene ora ottima sinergia e interfaccia

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
good morning, and best wishes for all of you,
I saw a shop in Italy that has a preampli available. JR Criterion, do you think it's worth trying with my Model 8Ti Hc? maybe if Guido Corona reads us, he will be able to answer him if I'm not mistaken and owns a Criterion .....

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
hello in test preampli JR Criterion, beautiful sound great music even if I have to increase the volume of gain starts working from 35/40 db onwards. very natural without color, the violins the sax and all the strings and the brass are all very refined and very clean in terms of infrastructures. compared to my current AR Ref 6 and a little lighter on the whole frequency range. but now I listen to the 8 tihc model with 32 db because the criterion has a lower output 40 ohms rca and 60 ohms xlr
continue my tests and then I'll let you know, I accept the advice

Attachments

• CRITERION.jpg
    CRITERION.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
  • CRITERION2.jpg
    CRITERION2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
  • CRITERION3.jpg
    CRITERION3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Very jealous.....would love to try a Criterion in my system!! I'd be interested to hear a little more of your impression comparing to the ARC Ref 6.

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Gustavo,

I'm listening Corus preamp with PSU right now an Aeris DAC. It's the same as Criterion but with supercapacitors instead of batteries. It is plugged to Model 625 S2, and I've used it with Model 2 and Model 112 too.
If you like the preamp but the sound is a bit thin compared to AR Reference and you want to obtain more body and microdetail, perhaps it will be good put some wood underneath.
In my long experience with JR the glass shelf of your rack is not the most convenient to the Rowland gear.

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Ah, don't forget that the Rowland gear take a lot of hours to stabilise and sound full after having plugged it.:)

gustavo

Oct 1, 2018
Italia
yes thanks, it 's true I heard Lucien of JRDG, and he also confirmed me to take a corus with separate power supply and not battery, so the sound of a jazz quartet and' very nice with the ref6 but often very hard being more 'dynamic and with more' low range I feel a bit of confusion if I have to find a defect what it has, it puts the instrument almost live but at the same time a bit 'too compressed, while the criterion has more class more refined and even more more harmonious spatiality in order to offer the music in all the notes with refinement and intelligibility but in the lower range a lighter hair.

I will try to put the criterion with a wooden base below

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing