How Many Different Tables, Arms for each, Cartridges, and Phono Stages for Full Emotional Interpretation of music? Forget the Budget! What's Best?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
We could have swapped your Techdas AF1P and my Lamm ML3's ... :oops: Then you could bi-amplify!
The only thing about Lamm I hate is boxes and boxes and boxes. I have just too many boxes in my room trying to keep just the essentials.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The only thing about Lamm I hate is boxes and boxes and boxes. I have just too many boxes in my room trying to keep just the essentials.

Fortunately they have long umbilicals for the power supplies, otherwise it would be a mess. I also dislike this aspect of the AF1P - the two extra boxes for the power supply/driver and airpump. Nice that it is completely silent.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Fortunately they have long umbilicals for the power supplies, otherwise it would be a mess. I also dislike this aspect of the AF1P - the two extra boxes for the power supply/driver and airpump. Nice that it is completely silent.

Dear Tang,

with your concrete ceiling, i still think ceiling hanging your Lamm amp chassis is the 'hot tip' and would solve the floor space frustrations you have. you could 'move on' from those issues. and elegantly done it would look cool too.

this is assuming you stay long term in your current space.

best regards,

Mike

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Many of the hard core vinyl enthusiasts I know have a number of tables using different designs (Direct Drive, Idler, etc.), each table has multiple arms, and multiple cartridges. Of course, there could be multiple phono stages: tube, SS, or combinations of each.

How many does one need to own to get the full gamut of emotions and emotional interpretations of recordings?

Which ones?

Need? One good tt with 3-4 arms and cartridges will give you plenty to enjoy but I also look at it like a plentiful buffet with a variety of favorite Far Eastern, European and American dishes always there for you, that's one of the beauties of analog LP playback. Of course over time we sample and discard the ones we don't care for. It's no different than people having several favorite cars, homes, cameras, wives :eek:, etc.

david

Reactions: caesar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Mike, polyamory is the number one growing social movement in the US, the West in general, so Caesar's thread totally consistent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing