How Many Copies of an Important LP Should We Have?

How many copies of an important LP should we have?

• 1 copy

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 2 copies

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • 3 copies

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 4 copies

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 5 copies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 5 copies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For an important title I think the prudent record collector should have four copies at the bare minimum. I advise having five copies:

1) regular use record

2) back-up for regular use record

3) replacement for regular use record when regular use record gets old

4) extra copy disguised as “regular use record” for friends to play

5) second back-up in case “back-up for regular use record” gets lost

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
If I find a EX/M- copy of 88 Basie Street or the Alternate Blues on Pablo for $3 in the used bins, I wont pass it up--you'd be dumb not to. I think I'm up to a half dozen copies of certain titles but only if they meet a few criteria: they're fairly scarce records of exceptional music, exceptionally recorded that I can give or trade with another 'philes that may not have it. I stopped thinking of it as hoarding, but rather archiving.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I would rather have a few different releases of my most important records, just to mix it up a little and wear them down at around the same rate (which will be very slow anyway).
More flavour :)

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I had my LP boxes stolen at CES 17 years ago and I still haven't found replacements for all the stuff lost. So if you are doing shows while its nice to have demo quality stuff at a show, it is also at greater risk so spares are a good idea. Finding spare of white label promos, tests and limited editions can be really challenging though.

• Sad
Reactions: Solypsa and bonzo75

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I had my LP boxes stolen at CES 17 years ago and I still haven't found replacements for all the stuff lost. So if you are doing shows while its nice to have demo quality stuff at a show, it is also at greater risk so spares are a good idea. Finding spare of white label promos, tests and limited editions can be really challenging though.
Man, that really stinks! Any idea how it happened?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hold on tightly let go lightly. Hard to hedge against life's assaults. Enjoy what you have!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
1. Maybe 2 if you really luv the album.

Spent all your other time and $$ on listening and buying new music.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
" What's Going On" Marvin Gaye. There was a used record shop in my neighborhood. I purchased six copies. They were being sold at regular prices. I think one had never been opened.
In general I think 2 is the right number. Maybe 3, if you need to give one to fellow audiophile.
If you are a power user so to speak, you might want to acquire different pressings. Maybe acquire the Japanese version or an audiophile version.

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Few albums I have 2 copies of, usually albums I play frequently, Maybe 10 albums total I have 2 copies of. I have a few albums I have 3-4+ copies. The reason is I'm searching for a clean pressing. Some sellers grading standards are atrocious.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Few albums I have 2 copies of, usually albums I play frequently, Maybe 10 albums total I have 2 copies of. I have a few albums I have 3-4+ copies. The reason is I'm searching for a clean pressing. Some sellers grading standards are atrocious.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing