How Do I Get The Music In My Room

lolligagger

Sep 20, 2012
I was posting with Peter in some other threads in an off topic manner. I felt it worth a thread. I don't even know if this is possible with my gear.

I was at a friends with 2 large 8 foot wide by maybe 40 inch tall duel 15" horn woofers based upon Altec thestre design speakers. On top of them were 12 cell wood horns by Chela Audio. I have never been in front of any other stereo where the sound stage put me there on the stage with Simon and Garfunkel or Dylan.

It was without a doubt the most live stereo I ever heard. Amps were nothing special. Good but only $6k or so. Same for phono pre. Techniques SM12 with a Transfiguration Proteus. Yet that stereo made "live" better than any other I heard at a show or house.

I would love to get some semblance of what Howards system does. But I have no idea where to start. His stuff is in a room the size of a double garage. Next to no acoustic treatment's. Its just a totally immersive and enveloping sound stage. It surounds you. Mine is just there in front of me. I'm happy to get width. I don't get depth. To be honest, i never really hear any depth on any stereo. Sometimes a little. Usually from the speaker fronts back. Never from the sides of my head all the way back behind the speakers.

Is this really a big horn, big room trick. Is that why people love big horns. Or can it be done in a living room.
I believe that I have what you describe.
My system: MacMini Audirvana Studio > Chord Hugo MScaler > Chord DAVE DAC > Bakoon Amp 13R > Cube Audio Nenuphar Mini (F8 Neo) speakers.
My room: 383cm (12.56ft) wide x 526cm (17.26ft) long x 310cm (10.17ft) high.
Front of the speakers are 2.5ft from the wall.

The Cube Nenuphar are single full range driver speakers... hence no crossover. They are great speakers.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I believe that I have what you describe.
My system: MacMini Audirvana Studio > Chord Hugo MScaler > Chord DAVE DAC > Bakoon Amp 13R > Cube Audio Nenuphar Mini (F8 Neo) speakers.
My room: 383cm (12.56ft) wide x 526cm (17.26ft) long x 310cm (10.17ft) high.
Front of the speakers are 2.5ft from the wall.

The Cube Nenuphar are single full range driver speakers... hence no crossover. They are great speakers.
?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing