Hong Kong AV and Head-fi Show 2023

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
According to Linchn Cheng, chief editor of Audiotechnique magazine HK who is the organizer of this HK Show, there were 12,000 attendees on 11th Aug, the first day of the HK Show.

Usually the Saturday today is the busiest!

I have confidence that the total attendees of the 3 days (11-13 Aug) will be more than 35,000 which is back to the pre-covid pandemic level.
:cool:

Reactions: tsaett

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I went back to the show yesterday morning, which was the quietest time. Even though I am a horn guy through and through, I find the large Wilsons (XVX ?) in the Jadis Electronics room sounding excellent. Very balanced and musical, with impressive scale and dynamics. I feel weird saying this, because I have yet to hear a pair of Wilsons sound good in people's homes. The sound is usually between mediocre to downright awful. I guess most Wilson owners (in HK anyway) I have met are people who just buy the most expensive gear without careful consideration of system matching, generally do not have much technical knowledge and only think about prices and reputation, and pay scant attention to acoustics. These speakers can sound excellent if someone who knows how music should sound set them up correctly.
I was looking forward to hearing the large GT Audio horn speakers at the Avantgarde room, but they were not playing on the two occasions that I visited the room. Edward told me he will set these up at his showroom to replace his large Ocean Ways after the show, so I will visit the showroom for in depth evaluation. The technology looks impressive, with a new compression driver design and a pair of brand new supertweeters.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Wilson XVX was not bad this year and last year, may be because of pairing with CH Precision 10 Series electronics.

The room with big Raidho was not bad too.
The Dan Agnostino flagship amps are really something!

IMG_20230813_125307.jpg

IMG_20230813_135351.jpg

IMG_20230813_135428.jpg

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Dropped by the show this morning. The most interesting discovery so far is in fact the King's Audio electrostatics. This is a local Hong Kong company. The US$20k electrostatic speakers they were demonstrating are extremely transparent and detailed, and sound relaxed and musical. Drums sound very natural and without the boxy coloration of conventional speakers. Most interesting is a pair of electrostatic supertweeters, run by rechargeable lithium batteries. They can be crossovered from as low as 8kHz, and extends to 50kHz. Sensitivity is up to 100dB/W/m. Live demo on a pair of conventional tower speakers shows that the tweeters extend the soundstage and add space around instruments and voices. When they are turned off, the soundstage immediately became more constricted and flat. A great bargain at US$2k.
Any pictures of this Electrostatic super tweeter?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
2023???????3a.jpg

Reactions: MRJAZZ

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I went back to the show yesterday morning, which was the quietest time. Even though I am a horn guy through and through, I find the large Wilsons (XVX ?) in the Jadis Electronics room sounding excellent. Very balanced and musical, with impressive scale and dynamics. I feel weird saying this, because I have yet to hear a pair of Wilsons sound good in people's homes. The sound is usually between mediocre to downright awful. I guess most Wilson owners (in HK anyway) I have met are people who just buy the most expensive gear without careful consideration of system matching, generally do not have much technical knowledge and only think about prices and reputation, and pay scant attention to acoustics. These speakers can sound excellent if someone who knows how music should sound set them up correctly.
I was looking forward to hearing the large GT Audio horn speakers at the Avantgarde room, but they were not playing on the two occasions that I visited the room. Edward told me he will set these up at his showroom to replace his large Ocean Ways after the show, so I will visit the showroom for in depth evaluation. The technology looks impressive, with a new compression driver design and a pair of brand new supertweeters.
Some info & photos about GT Audio here :

Reactions: MRJAZZ

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This must be the best coverage of the HK Show on the web :
:D

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Some info & photos about GT Audio here :
CK, any sighting of Seawave at the show? Looks like an interesting take on horn loudspeakers out of South Korea. Briefly got a glimpse at Munich but they were switching speakers.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK, any sighting of Seawave at the show? Looks like an interesting take on horn loudspeakers out of South Korea. Briefly got a glimpse at Munich but they were switching speakers.
Sorry, I didn't notice the brand in the Show.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing