Hint of new Magico products

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
It may not be a Q3, but it is better than anything else out there beside the Q, and for the price it is unbeatable. It also measures better than just about any other loudspeaker, including the Q3. Maybe you should revisit. Beggars (me included) can’t be choosers and Giyas are certainly not the answer ;)

"(...) better than anything else out there besides the Q"? Why can't we agree that at a certain level it is for a large part a matter of taste and that it is nonsense to consider one brand superior to all high end manufacturers?

I had once a person over who worked quite a lot with and was therefore very familiar with the Q7. He listened intensively to my Genesis 1.1 and was so impressed that he remarked that he had never heard anything like it. Does his and my preference for a (partly ribbon) loudspeaker mean that my Genesis 1.1 is better than the Q7? Of course not, it only shows that we he and I would choose the Genesis 1.1 over the Q7, nothing more and nothing less. And if you prefer Magico to other brands, that is of course equally fine. Better for you does not imply at all better for me.

Lastly, for those who would argue that the Genesis 1.1 costs more than the Q7 and therefore the comparison is not fair: the current retail price of the Genesis 1.2 is way above that of the Genesis 1.1.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I actually do not mind the Vivid design, it is more about the “less than impressive” build quality you see when you are up close to them. Just do the knocking test you will see what I mean

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Hi Ack,

I think you will like the Vivid Giya. They would be at the top of my list if i could afford them.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
"(...) better than anything else out there besides the Q"? Why can't we agree that at a certain level it is for a large part a matter of taste and that it is nonsense to consider one brand superior to all high end manufacturers?

I had once a person over who worked quite a lot with and was therefore very familiar with the Q7. He listened intensively to my Genesis 1.1 and was so impressed that he remarked that he had never heard anything like it. Does his and my preference for a (partly ribbon) loudspeaker mean that my Genesis 1.1 is better than the Q7? Of course not, it only shows that we he and I would choose the Genesis 1.1 over the Q7, nothing more and nothing less. And if you prefer Magico to other brands, that is of course equally fine. Better for you does not imply at all better for me.

Lastly, for those who would argue that the Genesis 1.1 costs more than the Q7 and therefore the comparison is not fair: the current retail price of the Genesis 1.2 is way above that of the Genesis 1.1.

I assume people know that when one writes, he voices his opinion. It is not fashionable anymore to add “IMO”, after every sentence.
Having said that I do try, and I appreciate those who do the same, to have some objective data when I voice my subjective opinions (i.e. S5 measurements).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I actually do not mind the Vivid design, it is more about the “less than impressive” build quality you see when you are up close to them. Just do the knocking test you will see what I mean

I will certainly do that; I haven't been close to a Giya before, so something new to explore. Equal to build quality and sound, I want to know how you replace those drivers, if need be.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well, engineering aside how about the look…
http://magico.net/index/index.php

This is the best looking speaker I have ever seen. It also sounds fantastic. I am still hoping for smaller versions of this M Project with curved aluminum sides. Simply gorgeous, and that official photograph really highlights its beauty. Thanks for the link.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It may not be a Q3, but it is better than anything else out there beside the Q, and for the price it is unbeatable. It also measures better than just about any other loudspeaker, including the Q3.

I agree that the S5 is an incredible value. I think the S line has been a home run for Magico and that they sell a lot of these.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I shall be reporting on Giya driven by Spectral soon... Unlike many, I am not married to any one company or technology, but I think I do have an eye for good engineering, if not ear for accurate sound; I am only loyal to my money and ears.

Ack,
I have a lot of respect for Giya. One of the very best sound on the market today and I like the fact that they invested in their own driver technology. Very nice highs, mids and imaging. I seriously considered buying a pair, 3 things that drove me away from it (besides the look which was a bit of a problem for my wife):
- reliability of the medium. Heard quite a few stories on how fragile is their medium driver. Not surprised given the construction. A bit questionable to have to do after sales from a south African company when things get wrong
- Bass: it is very far from the quality you get with the sealed bass of a Magico. Too much overhang, it is also detrimental to transparency in the lower mid
- overall stiffness and stability of the cabinet. Base footprint is very small. Push the speaker with 1 finger and it is already tilting.... this is of course detrimental to transparency of sound.
Bottom line, there are very good speakers, but not yet to the level of a Magico Q or even S series. Not talking about the new M project which to my ear has the best highs I ever heard at any price.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have heard the M Project twice now, and I agree the highs are unbelievably good. They are also the best I have heard, though my experience is fairly limited.

And while obviously better than the S5, you can tell they are siblings. I remain impressed with my S5's.

I do have fond memories of hearing the Giyas at RMAF a few years back and personally love the looks.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack,
I have a lot of respect for Giya. One of the very best sound on the market today and I like the fact that they invested in their own driver technology. Very nice highs, mids and imaging. I seriously considered buying a pair, 3 things that drove me away from it (besides the look which was a bit of a problem for my wife):
- reliability of the medium. Heard quite a few stories on how fragile is their medium driver. Not surprised given the construction. A bit questionable to have to do after sales from a south African company when things get wrong
- Bass: it is very far from the quality you get with the sealed bass of a Magico. Too much overhang, it is also detrimental to transparency in the lower mid
- overall stiffness and stability of the cabinet. Base footprint is very small. Push the speaker with 1 finger and it is already tilting.... this is of course detrimental to transparency of sound.
Bottom line, there are very good speakers, but not yet to the level of a Magico Q or even S series. Not talking about the new M project which to my ear has the best highs I ever heard at any price.

Thanks for the comments, I was not aware of any of these issues. It feels like they are not going to work...

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Reliable sources have names. We shall see. It is amazing - a 100K price increase! That number keeps the current Q7 customers happy and makes it harder, or now even impossible, for others to aspire to this vaunted model. I own the Q5's and love them. When I saw Alon this past summer, we had discussed his M project loudspeakers and their feasibility in my smaller listening room. I then had commented that by my not buying them was like being paid 130K to live with my Q5's![/

Q7 owners will be given the opportunity to update to mk 2 status. According to my source this update costs about the same as the price difference between the Q7 mk 1 and Q7 mk 2, that is around 100k.

Just announced: Magico Q7II - $229,000 Suggested Retail/Pair
Q7 to Q7II upgrade - $ 44,000 Suggested Retail/Pair

Your "source" must have confused pair pricing with individual pricing!

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/magico-announces-q7-mkii-loudspeaker/

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/magico-announces-q7-mkii-loudspeaker/

You are right: strangly the price mentioned to me was incorrect while the other info was correct. Maybe a price adjustment at the last moment?

coopersark

May 24, 2013
You are right: strangly the price mentioned to me was incorrect while the other info was correct. Maybe a price adjustment at the last moment?

That would be a huge price adjustment! I believe that your source confused pair pricing with individual pricing. On another note, I can only shudder at what the cost will be to have movers pack up the speakers and ship them to Magico for an update and then the process of reversing that trip back to the customer!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Isn't the $44k increase per pair. That is not near $100k. Of course, for me this discussion is moot. No Q7s for me. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
That would be a huge price adjustment! I believe that your source confused pair pricing with individual pricing. On another note, I can only shudder at what the cost will be to have movers pack up the speakers and ship them to Magico for an update and then the process of reversing that trip back to the customer!

I shipped MM3s (1800lbs in six crates) coast to coast for $1,500.

number95

May 14, 2014

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
If one makes a similar exercise overseas including re-customs, duty etc...

There is no duty if the item is shipped back for repairs (unless the distributor is dumb enough, to declare that the product will be upgraded, which will increase its value ...).

But if the product comes back 'repaired', with the same serial #s, there are no extra costs involved. Only some extra paperwork. Been there, done that (shipped form the EU to the US, and then back).

number95

May 14, 2014
There is no duty if the item is shipped back for repairs (unless the distributor is dumb enough, to declare that the product will be upgraded, which will increase its value ...).

But if the product comes back 'repaired', with the same serial #s, there are no extra costs involved. Only some extra paperwork. Been there, done that (shipped form the EU to the US, and then back).

Well, it is at least not as straightforward in case of Turkey I can say. Btw, how much do you think to send a pair of Q7 to US and then taking back say you based in EU?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No idea what are the shipping costs. I have only shipped a Krell SACD player, which was a small box. That was like $500 both ways.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing