Hilary Hahn Retrospective

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Long an admirer of Ms Hahn, I picked up her latest release "Hilary Hahn Retrospective". It features a first disc which is a direct to disc recording of a live performance of the Mozart Sonata for violin and piano in G, and a pair of contemporary pieces including "Mercy" by Max Richter. These live performances are intimately recorded and far exceeded my expectations: passionate, explosive, and heart-felt. I think the live, direct to disc is an important factor since the studio versions, available on Tidal, are good, but not nearly as involving. If you spin LPs, you need to purchase this release for the direct to disc release if nothing else. The second disc contains an assortment of movements from previous releases.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nice album. Davidson’s Blue curve and the Bach double concerto are also worth the price of admission. Hilary Hahn is proving herself to be a lasting great artist.

Reactions: sefischer1

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Wow guys, I hear a lot of intonation issues on this album as well as meh playing tbh. Each to their own.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Another favorite is Rachel Podger. I have friends who don't like her style, but what I hear is a player who uniquely communicates with her instrument.

Hello Sir,

I am more of a Kavakos man myself from the modern breed but in honesty I spend most of my time indulging in the older generations :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have been following Rachel Podger since her early recordings with Linn Records. Her Mozart violon sonatas are superb so is her recording of Vivaldi's Opus 3. Another violin player who has a solid discography in baroque music is Amandine Beyer.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Podger has recordings on the infamous Channel Classics in DSD if you are so inclined. That said whilst the sound quality of these is “impressive” it is rather artificial and unnatural.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hello Sir,

I am more of a Kavakos man myself from the modern breed but in honesty I spend most of my time indulging in the older generations :)
Kavakos is fab but I’d also spend the evening with Faust if looking for some of that modern stuff.

Thanks for bringing him up Bill as have just put on Kavakos and Wang’s Brahms sonatas to get in a early start before heading off to work.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
How can Hilary Hahn have a retrospective. She is a kid! - She is my daughter's age. One of the great young violinists.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing