High Fidelity Cables

Sep 27, 2016
California
Hello bazelio,
If time permits, I test different hifi components every now and again. Cables are a hobbyhorse of mine. I've tested a lot of different cables over the past few years, from old established cable manufacturers like Transparent, MIT, Wireworld, Audioquest, Siltech et cetera. Especially lately I have dealt extensively with grounding systems and currently well tested cables such as Masterbuild, Jorma, Synergistic and Higher Fidelity cables.
In my hi-fi chain, the Higher Fidelity cables also seemed at first a little reserved. Especially these magnetic cables took a lot of playing time and after at least 200 hours they play very dynamically. The Higher Fidelity Cables as well as the Master Built Cables belong to the cables which impressed me very much. In the disciplines of musicality, naturalness and soundstage these cables are almost on par with the Schnerzinger cables.
With the Higher Fidelity cables it is important to use them as a complete system otherwise much of their magic can be lost. As I am currently working intensively on grounding systems like Tripoint, Nordost, Schnerzinger, Entreq etc., I can already say that these massive sonic progresses cause my audio system. I advise anyone who does not have a grounding system to test one. I wish you a lot of fun listening and give the Higher Fidelity cables some more time, it will be worth!
Greetings tubedoctor
Thanks, tubedoctor!
Someone on Audiogon was selling two pair of the High Fidelity Ultimate Reference RCA interconnects. They were a couple years old, and fully broken in. He let me audition them in home and they were fantastic. After my recent cable rolling adventures, these HF UR interconnects were my second favorite cables behind only the top of the line Master Builts. And honestly, they aren't far off. The Mastur Built were a bit better in micro dynamics and had a slightly fuller (if not rounder) tone. But I also can't complain about the High Fidelity Ultimate Reference in either category. So, with the enormous price difference, I'd be more than happy to "settle" for the High Fidelity.

Interestingly, though, the owner also told me that he'd recommend avoiding the High Fidelity speaker cables. He found them rolled off and unfixable with break in. Nothing like the HF interconnects. He'd also tried a special low capacitance version from Rick Shultz, and still didn't like them. Perhaps it was system related, but he recommended Schnerzinger speaker cables over the HFs.

Dec 12, 2012
Hello bazelio,
I spent a long time testing on the Higher Fidelity and Master Built cables. I can not confirm that the HF speaker cable is not detailed.The Master Built cables are a little more detailed but it is not a quantum leap compared to the HF cables. The only quantum leap in all terms - musicality, resolution, spatial imaging, neutrality, precision and dynamics - would be the Schnerzinger cables, especially when they are operated with the optional high-frequency protectors.
I think you should be very happy about your HF cables, especially since you got them cheaper. Since the Master Built cable compared to the HF cable is not spectacular much better you do not need to think about a change.
Schnerzinger are not cheap and you will not get a discount. Because the new Schnerzinger "TS" series are so much better than the older series, you should not buy the older Schnerzinger series even when getting them cheaper. So, i think you did everything right!
Anyway i think, if you are satisfied you should not think about any improvements. Better buy new music from the saved money, that's what it's all about in the true sense.
Have fun, tubedoctor

Last edited:

Harlequin

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Interestingly, though, the owner also told me that he'd recommend avoiding the High Fidelity speaker cables. He found them rolled off and unfixable with break in. Nothing like the HF interconnects. He'd also tried a special low capacitance version from Rick Shultz, and still didn't like them. Perhaps it was system related, but he recommended Schnerzinger speaker cables over the HFs.
I can but concur, I am running TOTL RCA cables from sources to ARC Ref10 and they are extraordinary good, I would have run the same from Pre to Power however wished to run balanced which was not an option back then.

I also spent some time demoing three separate pairs of Ultimate SC's on of which was also 'special' low cap version and they just sucked the life out of my system, I was having to apply 30% additional attenuation on the Ref10 to get close to the SPL levels and dynamics that I was used to, even the UK dealer / distributer was non plussed, yet had to agree.

Staxxx

Jul 8, 2018
I can but concur, I am running TOTL RCA cables from sources to ARC Ref10 and they are extraordinary good, I would have run the same from Pre to Power however wished to run balanced which was not an option back then.

I also spent some time demoing three separate pairs of Ultimate SC's on of which was also 'special' low cap version and they just sucked the life out of my system, I was having to apply 30% additional attenuation on the Ref10 to get close to the SPL levels and dynamics that I was used to, even the UK dealer / distributer was non plussed, yet had to agree.
Hello all

I recently purchased an earlier version of the CT-1 Ultimate Reference speaker cables. I am enjoying them in my current system although I did have to increase the attenuation by some tweaks on my Memory Player server. I also used Total Contact which was an exceptionally good upgrade to the sound.

However, I am contemplating upgrading to the Helix. I have been offered this at a great price through HFC where the customer service has been really responsive. Any thoughts, especially if you know if the issue with the capacitance has been sorted out?

Thanks. Look forward to some replies as I cannot hear and compare from where I am currently.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing