High end power bars

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And I thought you were talking about something you ate? :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For someone who comes from a different perspective and looks at mil-spec equipment everyday that is worked on by electronic techs who have J-standard solder certifications, these power strips don't impress me. Just because it is made in Germany doesn't make it special.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
For someone who comes from a different perspective and looks at mil-spec equipment everyday that is worked on by electronic techs who have J-standard solder certifications, these power strips don't impress me. Just because it is made in Germany doesn't make it special.

I'm even LESS impressed than that!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Looking at the web-page parts photos, it doesn't make much sense to me. I see lots of long small wires. I would rather have three long bus bars (Hot, Neutral & S.G.) with short jumpers to each receptacle. I'd also skip the IEC input and use a permanent input cable.

Many of those wires and jumpers appear to be of rather small diameter.

All the wires, receptacles and connector stuff should be in a mild steel case with only the industrial artwork on the outside

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Looking at the web-page parts photos, it doesn't make much sense to me. I see lots of long small wires. I would rather have three long bus bars (Hot, Neutral & S.G.) with short jumpers to each receptacle. I'd also skip the IEC input and use a permanent input cable.

But then you couldn't use your favorite special power cord.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes it's strange how audiophiles often throw out the baby and keep the bath water.

Remember, we live in an age where manufacturers of high-end gear are forced to have IEC outlets on their gear so audiophiles can roll their own PCs because *everyone* knows that a captive PC can't possibly be any good.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If we buy $7000 outlets, they'll only start making $10,000 outlets whose only difference will be a few more pounds of rock and glitter.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It's a product line (type) that I thought was nonsense. Lloyd brought over his version and we tried it on the Onedof/Wyetech... it needed burn in time, of which we did not have. The HBs are in house and yes, as absurd as it may be, they are dissolving the listening room. I hear the stage expand (on the Marble) and I did not want to hear this. I heard the Ypsilons grow more organic and the room get even bigger. You must plug your whole system into just one to get the effect. I have the amps and preamp plugged in the Marble. I'll know for sure once they are in CA visiting the T.H.E. Show for more folks to hear and see. When one is without, one is of clear mind.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I have a Weizhi PRS-6 power strip and it makes a difference. Not as overboard as the reviews claimed, but as a non filtering, non isolation transformer, power strip it certainly cleaned up the sound.
This product was carried by the same distributor as this new HB Cable Designs strip.

On the other hand I have had some other power strips with Bybee devices, ERS paper, expensive internal wiring e.t.c - that I thought made no difference whatsoever.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
It's a product line (type) that I thought was nonsense. Lloyd brought over his version and we tried it on the Onedof/Wyetech... it needed burn in time, of which we did not have. The HBs are in house and yes, as absurd as it may be, they are dissolving the listening room. I hear the stage expand (on the Marble) and I did not want to hear this. I heard the Ypsilons grow more organic and the room get even bigger. You must plug your whole system into just one to get the effect. I have the amps and preamp plugged in the Marble. I'll know for sure once they are in CA visiting the T.H.E. Show for more folks to hear and see. When one is without, one is of clear mind.

Hi Peter.. how you getting along with the Marble HB , still with them ? Keen to hear your further observations on them . Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing