help with some 309 headshell

mmorse

Jan 9, 2024
prescott AZ
this is a long shot. i have an old sme 309 tone arm. the headshell attaches to the tone arm with a bolt and nut to clamp it down. i changed cartridges but lost the bold/nut. anyone know where i can get a replacement the sme website doesn’t offer it. its over $300 for a replacement headshell. don’t want to spend that much just to get a new bolt/nut. the other alternative is to go to a hardware store and see if they have something that will work.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Analogue Seduction will supply any available SME part: info@analogueseduction.net

or

you could e-mail Elaine Wratten in the service dept. at SME and ask her to send you one. She's very good with things like that: Sales@sme.ltd.uk

Chris

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Even better!

mmorse

Jan 9, 2024
prescott AZ
yes i was fortunate to find something that worked. now i have to find somebody to repair a vintage koetsu rosewood signature. koetsu wants stupid money to repair. due to my stupidity, i inadvertently ripped the cantilever/stylus out of it. hopefully nothing else was damaged.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
Where are you located? If in north America, I would recommend Steve Leung at VAS. I have had two cartridges retipped by him, each cost $350, and another converted to mono. Soundsmith do good work, too, but there's a long wait. In the UK, I think Expert Stylus (no website) are said to be good, as is Northwest Analogue.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
It's Steve's habit to send you a couple of videos of the cartridge playing after he has repaired it, around about three weeks after he receives it. That always gets me excited for its return!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing