Help me beat my CD Transport

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
jfrech,

Thanks for that. The dealership for DCS products changed hands in my part of the world so I have to go chase the new dealer for an update disc.

I too am a fan of MAP1 but I did not warm up to DSDX2 though. Maybe time to test again.

Do you have a wireless router connected to your Upsampler? You can download it off the internet via the dCS iPad app. In the app go to settings, version, check for updates. Takes about a hour to download and install. I've found upsampling off the transport is better...but the ethernet input is MUCH improved. More quiet, presents things in space better with improved resolution, drive and dementionality.

Let me know if you have any questions...should be pretty easy I hope.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Do you have a wireless router connected to your Upsampler? You can download it off the internet via the dCS iPad app. In the app go to settings, version, check for updates. Takes about a hour to download and install. I've found upsampling off the transport is better...but the ethernet input is MUCH improved. More quiet, presents things in space better with improved resolution, drive and dementionality.

Let me know if you have any questions...should be pretty easy I hope.

Yep. A Velop node. This is great info. Much appreciated. Will get to it when I am back to Malaysia.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Even the most expensive memory-based transport can usually be beat by a server, however I would not recommend using the S/PDIF or AES output directly from the server. Instead try a USB interface or converter with a very good master clock and design in the USB interface. I recommend using USB with a good 1.5m USB cable from the USB converter to the DAC. This was my go-to choice for many years.

However, the problem I have found with USB is that there are too many variables that affect SQ, even though I have now 6th generation USB interface on my own products. The cabling, the USB port, the power supply for the server, the playback S/W and AC power all have impact. For this reason, I decided to focus on Ethernet instead for the future.

Ethernet is not perfect either. Even though it is packet-based and does not rely on the audio stack in the computer and is fairly immune to the playback software, cabling and power supplies still seem to have an effect. However, the difference compared to USB is that: even with the cheapest cables and wall-warts for the router, Ethernet still sounds as good as the best USB. When the power and cabling are optimized, Ethernet actually pulls WAY ahead of the best USB IME. Simply the best SQ I have ever heard. Ethernet is not usually something you can drive with one of these servers. It's usually a computer running Jriver or the like. If you decide to try Ethernet, try it wired first and use a short CAT7 cable to a "black-box" isolator and then a longer CAT7 cable to your equipment.

If you must stay with the server, I would recommend to try a Berkeley USB converter because it is XMOS based and galvanically isolated.

Other things to consider:

1) format for best results should be .wav files
2) rip CD's with either DBPoweramp on Windows or XLD on Mac
3) You may be better off with a good S/PDIF cable rather than AES/EBU. AES requires higher voltage, which often leads to more stages and thus more jitter.
4) If you must use the feed directly from the server to your DAC, maybe consider a reclocker like the Synchro-Mesh in-between to reduce jitter
5) always use a good treatment like Utrabit platinum plus on the CD before you rip it
6) try a Plasmatron AC regulator from VHAudio - most manufacturers that have tried it swear by it as the best power for digital. I love mine.

BTW, I have heard the Vivaldi system in rooms next to my system at shows.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/absolute-top-tier-dac-for-standard-res-redbook-cd?page=73

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Even the most expensive memory-based transport can usually be beat by a server, however I would not recommend using the S/PDIF or AES output directly from the server. Instead try a USB interface or converter with a very good master clock and design in the USB interface. I recommend using USB with a good 1.5m USB cable from the USB converter to the DAC. This was my go-to choice for many years.

However, the problem I have found with USB is that there are too many variables that affect SQ, even though I have now 6th generation USB interface on my own products. The cabling, the USB port, the power supply for the server, the playback S/W and AC power all have impact. For this reason, I decided to focus on Ethernet instead for the future.

Ethernet is not perfect either. Even though it is packet-based and does not rely on the audio stack in the computer and is fairly immune to the playback software, cabling and power supplies still seem to have an effect. However, the difference compared to USB is that: even with the cheapest cables and wall-warts for the router, Ethernet still sounds as good as the best USB. When the power and cabling are optimized, Ethernet actually pulls WAY ahead of the best USB IME. Simply the best SQ I have ever heard. Ethernet is not usually something you can drive with one of these servers. It's usually a computer running Jriver or the like.

If you must stay with the server, I would recommend to try a Berkeley USB converter because it is XMOS based and galvanically isolated.

Other things to consider:

3) You may be better off with a good S/PDIF cable rather than AES/EBU. AES requires higher voltage, which often leads to more stages and thus more jitter.
4) If you must use the feed directly from the server to your DAC, maybe consider a reclocker like the Synchro-Mesh in-between to reduce jitter
5) always use a good treatment like Utrabit platinum plus on the CD before you rip it
6) try a Plasmatron AC regulator from VHAudio - most manufacturers that have tried it swear by it as the best power for digital. I love mine.

BTW, I have heard the Vivaldi system in rooms next to my system at shows.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/absolute-top-tier-dac-for-standard-res-redbook-cd?page=73

hello Steve, and welcome to What's Best Forum.

looking forward to your participation here.

agree on the USB overall based on my experience, but my experience with the current crop of transports is limited.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi Steve,

Been a while.

An Overdrive sits in one of my offices.

If u can still recall, u helped me shunt a M-Audio Transit USB convertor into an Apogee Clock thingy back in 2007 / 2008. That was the start of my journey on file as source. If u are developing a network playback device, please do share some information. Very curious.

Tried the USB on the Aurender - the AES / EBU output is better. The Aurender is synced with wordclock from the Vivaldi.

Most of my music is ripped using dBpower amp

All source connected via Purepower regenerator. Prefer this over PS Audio P5 or P10.

Most of the music files are FLAC though.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Network isolator looks something like this ?

This is the description of the product : Baaske Medical Ethernet Network Isolator 5kV

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

And how it is supposed to influence the CD-ripping process ? Either it is bit perfect (which dBpoweramp confirms looking up in the AccurateRip database) or it is not.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And how it is supposed to influence the CD-ripping process ? Either it is bit perfect (which dBpoweramp confirms looking up in the AccurateRip database) or it is not.

Do you know of a similar database for SACD? Or even for HiRez - it would be great to have a place to confirm our music files are really what we think!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Network isolator looks something like this ?

This is the description of the product : Baaske Medical Ethernet Network Isolator 5kV

Yes, this is one of them. I have one similar to this on order, but I'm using this one right now with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FWDE36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very important to keep the cable from router to this device about 1-2 feet because it is powered from the Ethernet power.

BTW, I am currently upgrading the Overdrive SE you have to Overdrive SX. Takes it to a whole new level, competing with the best DAC's, and I can put an Ethernet interface on it as well. This is my current reference. I use Jriver to play with Ethernet. Going out for review soon.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

It eliminates error correction.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Hi Steve,

Been a while.

An Overdrive sits in one of my offices.

If u can still recall, u helped me shunt a M-Audio Transit USB convertor into an Apogee Clock thingy back in 2007 / 2008. That was the start of my journey on file as source. If u are developing a network playback device, please do share some information. Very curious..

I have developed a new product, the Interchange, which is just like the Off-Ramp, but has Ethernet input rather than USB. The Ethernet is DLNA-based. I can also install the Ethernet module inside the Overdrive DAC. I have to relocate some devices to the heatsink or it gets too hot. Inside the DAC gives the best performance.

Steve N.

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
You just cannot beat DCS's transport, it has upsampler inside. It's the most expensive piece for a reason.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
You just cannot beat DCS's transport, it has upsampler inside. It's the most expensive piece for a reason.

I'll bet I can come pretty close with a cheap transport driving a Synchro-Mesh upsampler powered from a Hynes-based Dynamo LPS.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

You can upsample via a computer running HQplayer also.

Also, aren't DCS transports from Esoteric?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing