Hello to all

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hello everybody! I was recently referred to this site by Tom through the Polk Audio forum, where I've been a member since 2004. I started there when I was 19, getting fairly vested in the car audio scene until about 3 years ago when the wife and I began our search for our own home. Since then I've run the gamut of pretty much all things Polk and am a little sad to say that, while it was a good run, the likelihood of me owning anything Polk again (at least for the main rig) is arbitrarily close to zero. I'm currently VERY much in love with my Ushers as they seem to have a perfect synergy with the system/room they're in.

You can see my main rig in the sig block, but I also own a Jolida SJ-302a and recently acquired Magnepan SMGa's that are my first project speakers. The Maggies weren't in bad shape at all, but I am planning on modding them to get a little bit of experience under my belt. So far I've only done the dynamat "razor" mod to the front with positive results. Anyways, I am very thankful for the reference since it appears there is a lot of good information on this forum that will do nothing but help me grow in the hobby. I've been trying to find an additional forum to join for the last 6 months or so, but I just couldn't find any that really had anything to offer until now. I will likely be a silent contributor for quite a while as I sponge up what I can.

I've also noticed a few other North Texans on the forum. I've attended LSAF the last three or four years and even showed a rig off last year with the Usher's, a Raven tube integrated, and Douglas Connection cables. If anyone is ever interested in hearing my rig or is willing to let me listen to theirs, please feel free to give me a shout. I'd be happy to bring the beverage for the opportunity to hear a new system.

Edit: Not sure if my sig is actually showing yet, but here is the main dual-purpose rig: Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, MIT Exp1 IC's, PNF Audio SC's, Pangea PC's, Epson 8100

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum. My first "hifi" speaker in early 1980s was a Polk. I still have the pair. Gave it to my son for his first system. 30+ years of life! Today Polk is a pure marketing company so for best audio, you are wise to look at other brands. On Usher, I love the sampler CD they hand out at shows. It is very well recorded material.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Welcome to the forum! The folks here are likely the most experienced audiophiles found anywhere on the 'net.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Welcome to the forum! The folks here are likely the most experienced audiophiles found anywhere on the 'net.

This has definitely been noted and was a big reason for me joining the forum. Guys here are playing at a much higher level than I and that can lead to nothing but wiser purchases in the future since they've been down the road already. My journey is still in its infancy and scouring the site is definitely confirmation of that fact.

I'll defer from saying anything negative about Polk because the company/forum has been good to me over the years, but I definitely understand where they stand and how they got there. Best to say I still enjoy the community...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome DSkip!:)

It's all about the love of music and we buy what we can afford to buy and/or where we want to go with it.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Welcome to the WBF, DSkip. Glad to see you made it. Enjoy. :)

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing