"Downgrading" from a Nagra Tube DAC to a Lampi Pac, or a Neodio Origine S2.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Curious if this will be too big of a downgrade (or even a sideway swap or an upgrade)

My scenario/reason is to sell the tube dac, and buy either of the other two used, and use the excess funds to upgrade my analog rig.

Still wondering if it is a good idea. Nothing wrong with the Nagra Tube DAC, it's stunning, but I recently heard some top-flight vinyl rig and am unable to un-hear it, and I can't budget both a top flight vinyl and digital in my system, so one has to be "sacrificed".

Current preference is Neodio (might be cheaper, and is a CD player as well, I have many many CDs) but Lampi might be better SQ wise I guess.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm a neighbor of Nagra literally and had quite a few of their units at home for either longer listening sessions or owning them and among them was tube DAC. It's a great sounding unit no doubt (like vast majority or even all Nagra gear) but saying "downgrading" vs Lampi DAC is I believe wrong (and I had/have or heard all Lampi DACs) especially Pacific which You are mentioning.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
"Downgrading" to Lampi?
Are you serious?

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
"Downgrading" to Lampi?
Are you serious?
I take it that you believe Lampi would be an upgrade :)

Have you heard the Nagra Tube DAC?

I confess, I haven't heard the Lampi, there aren't any comparisons of the Pacific and Nagra Tube DAC that I have seen online, except for one datapoint where a gentleman on audioshark moved from the Lampi Pac to a Nagra tube dac and preferred the latter.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I'm a neighbor of Nagra literally and had quite a few of their units at home for either longer listening sessions or owning them and among them was tube DAC. It's a great sounding unit no doubt (like vast majority or even all Nagra gear) but saying "downgrading" vs Lampi DAC is I believe wrong (and I had/have or heard all Lampi DACs) especially Pacific which You are mentioning.
In your opinion, you would prefer the Lampi Pac?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
In your opinion, you would prefer the Lampi Pac?
I believed that conclusion from my post was clear…but obviously its not. So let me state it clearly - Pac is much better by all means.

Last edited:

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Not disputing that Neodio may not be intending on further production of the Origine S2 but it still appears on the website in the current product lineup. Might be best to reach out directly to Neodio if you truly are interested in it.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I'll echo some of the above: are you sure you this is a case of downgrading. Thinking of the Lampi (I don't know the Neodio), I'm not so sure... With good tubes the Lampi is very competitive

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Yes of course

Yes of course

I confess, I haven't heard the Lampi, there aren't any comparisons of the Pacific and Nagra Tube DAC that I have seen online, except for one datapoint where a gentleman on audioshark moved from the Lampi Pac to a Nagra tube dac and preferred the latter.

So this whole post of yours, is based on one gentleman who for some reason preferred NAGRA's DAC over a Lampisator,
oh well...

Reactions: christoph

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
That's the only data point I had, now I have two more. It's what forums are for :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Curious if this will be too big of a downgrade (or even a sideway swap or an upgrade)

My scenario/reason is to sell the tube dac, and buy either of the other two used, and use the excess funds to upgrade my analog rig.

Still wondering if it is a good idea. Nothing wrong with the Nagra Tube DAC, it's stunning, but I recently heard some top-flight vinyl rig and am unable to un-hear it, and I can't budget both a top flight vinyl and digital in my system, so one has to be "sacrificed".

Current preference is Neodio (might be cheaper, and is a CD player as well, I have many many CDs) but Lampi might be better SQ wise I guess.

This friend of mine did a major compare with me at his place with his existing dacs from Trinity, Aqua formula (stahltek 0 then 75k) ,And neodio. The Neodio was the best by far. Then, he also got the TAD CD player which I did not hear, but he said was very good. Finally ended up with the Lampi Golden Gate, and now has the Pacific. Once the 242 valves went in, he stopped searching.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Never downgrade.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Seriously going the the opposite direction. I thought my Lampi PAC was the cat’s meow and compared it to the tube dac in the same system. Sold the Pacific and got the tube dac the very next week. Don’t do it unless you like you music colored.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Seriously going the the opposite direction. I thought my Lampi PAC was the cat’s meow and compared it to the tube dac in the same system. Sold the Pacific and got the tube dac the very next week. Don’t do it unless you like you music colored.

It's very interesting what you say about color, it's entirely, the opposite.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
At the end of the day you have to be happy with your system. Best of luck.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018

I heard the Lampi Pacific back to back with tube dac, hands down Nagra all day; engaging, organic, live performance.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
What makes you happy, at the end of the day is the result and your money.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I heard the Lampi Pacific back to back with tube dac, hands down Nagra all day; engaging, organic, live performance.
Ah! I think you are the gentleman I referred to in my post #5. Thanks for dropping by and replying to my thread question.

Do you mind if I ask you if the tubes in your Lampi Pac were stock?
Also what server/streamer do you use with your Nagra Tube DAC?

I confess, I do love the Nagra Tube DAC, and wonder if I will be making a big mistake.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
This friend of mine did a major compare with me at his place with his existing dacs from Trinity, Aqua formula (stahltek 0 then 75k) ,And neodio. The Neodio was the best by far. Then, he also got the TAD CD player which I did not hear, but he said was very good. Finally ended up with the Lampi Golden Gate, and now has the Pacific. Once the 242 valves went in, he stopped searching.

Thanks for your reply, coincidentally I spoke to this gentleman (jazzhead right?) just last week about the Lampi and the Neodio after your blog turned up in my googling of Neodio. Yeah he loves the pac, but I don't think he's heard the Nagra Tube DAC.

AFAIK, only Redphu has done proper compare of these two DACs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing