Has jazz become America’s least-popular genre?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Anyone one that makes a statement like this obviously has never been interested in golf on a personal level.

I really don't give sh*t if Tiger ever plays again. I didn't get into golf because of Tiger Woods.

I've lived on the same golf course for the last 26 years and I've been building and repairing golf equipment for 18 years.

Golf is not declining on Maui.

I have played golf plenty in my lifetime and have been a member of 3 different golf clubs. You can have your opinion, but the best golf ever witnessed has been that of Tiger Woods. He will go down as the best ever, even w/o beating Jack's major record. Jack had much less competition than woods during his hay day.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
true old time drifting & honest racing

Rockitman & JackD201
F1 "they say" is supposed to be the technological breeding ground for advancements for the betterment of the automobile. Therefore, if that is to be correct:
Take the 10 top selling cars in the world, and average their shape & size into one body.
Allow teams to use that EXACT shape & size - then they can use ANY engine, Any suspension, Any tires [as long as the tires are the "average shape & size" as above], and no added wings, etc.
Now we are going to see some true old time drifting & honest racing.
zz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have the opposite opinion. If we're talking about pushing boundaries, I'd let the governing body set the manufacturers loose. Remember the glory days when there was even a 6 friggin wheeled car or no limits on displacement if you used a turbo charger? The turbine engined car in Indy (not F1). Sci-Fi in the present. That's what I want to see. Of course we know that all this would probably mean great danger for the pilots but I'm wishing this without wishing any harm.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You need to learn how to read.

Not true. Golfing popularity in the US is the lowest in 30+ years, courses all over the country are closing and almost no new ones are opening. Likewise, jazz is the least popular musical genre according to Soundscan. That doesn't mean that people who are already golfers or jazz fans aren't passionate about what they like.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
6 friggin wheeled car or no limits on displacement if you used a turbo charger?

6-wheel = Tyrrell
1.5 liter turbo or 3 liter normal aspirated.
I am proposing to let the manufacturers totally loose except: exact same body shapes to do away with the aerodynamic war & skinny normal size tires so we have true car to car racing?
Best to you,
zz.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Not true. Golfing popularity in the US is the lowest in 30+ years, courses all over the country are closing and almost no new ones are opening. Likewise, jazz is the least popular musical genre according to Soundscan. That doesn't mean that people who are already golfers or jazz fans aren't passionate about what they like.

You took my positive comment about Jazz and Golf and turned it into a negative.

That was really lame.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I have played golf plenty in my lifetime and have been a member of 3 different golf clubs. You can have your opinion, but the best golf ever witnessed has been that of Tiger Woods. He will go down as the best ever, even w/o beating Jack's major record. Jack had much less competition than woods during his hay day.

Christian,

When was the last time you played a round of golf?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rockitman & JackD201
F1 "they say" is supposed to be the technological breeding ground for advancements for the betterment of the automobile. Therefore, if that is to be correct:
Take the 10 top selling cars in the world, and average their shape & size into one body.
Allow teams to use that EXACT shape & size - then they can use ANY engine, Any suspension, Any tires [as long as the tires are the "average shape & size" as above], and no added wings, etc.
Now we are going to see some true old time drifting & honest racing.
zz.

Is it just me or somewhere along the way F1 took a wrong turn? There's got to be something wrong when qualifying is more exciting than the races.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian,

When was the last time you played a round of golf?

Last year...why ? I should also mention I have played many world class courses like Pebble Beach, Spyglass , Spanish Bay and all of the Pinehurst courses including No. 2 multiple times. My father lives on Pinehurst No. 7. Are you challenging my golf prowess ?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Is it just me or somewhere along the way F1 took a wrong turn? There's got to be something wrong when qualifying is more exciting than the races.

Follow the $$$. Bernie Ecclestone has had control of the commercial workings of Formula 1 for a very long time. He is worth about $4 Billion.
And then there is the FIA. Between the two it is one massive FUBAR. There is no hope.
zz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think I see a parallel between F1 and Golf. The equipment has gotten to the point at the highest levels where the equipment began to obsolete the venues (courses and racetracks). Ruling bodies then had to impose limits. I can't say that it is ALL bad. Doing so does bring back the competition's focus on the player's and driver's skill respectively. Going back to skinny tires and going back to non-square grooves on clubs in essence do the same thing. They make it harder to drive and harder to hit perfect shots.

Although not institutionalized, it's plausible the same thing could be happening to audio. At what point is resolution too much? I've said many times before that If I'm working on a song or sound effects for a film that I wan't all the resolution I can get but when it comes to listening for pleasure, I'll pass. Not exactly a "Hooboy the clarinetist passed wind! Did you hear that?!!!!" kind of guy. LOL.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Last year...why ? I should also mention I have played many world class courses like Pebble Beach, Spyglass , Spanish Bay and all of the Pinehurst courses including No. 2 multiple times. My father lives on Pinehurst No. 7. Are you challenging my golf prowess ?

Did you watch the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational today?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Furious finish by Every. That had got to hurt Stenson. Lead erased and passed in the last 5 holes? At least Stenson is still Augusta bound.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Yes I did. Still watch most golf tourneys...3rd and 4th rounds and watch all 4 for majors, The Players.

Thanks, you just renewed my faith in mankind.

It was really nice to see Marco Dawson get his first win on the Champions Tour.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Golf and high end audio? Prob the two most pretentious hobbies known to mankind :rolleyes:! Luckily I'm only guilty of one sin ;).
Jazz as least popular genre? I quite like the combination of jazz and full body violence found in Oscar-winning "Whiplash" :cool:.
Maybe combining grevious bodily harm and America's only truly original art form could get the audiences back :p!!!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Golf and jazz are both endeavors requiring skill and commitment which end up being rewarding to both participants and viewers/listeners, and both are declining significantly in popularity. Perhaps a reflection of the short attention span endemic in the US population today.

"""According to Nielsen‘s 2014 Year-End Report, jazz is continuing to fall out of favor with American listeners and has tied with classical music as the least-consumed music in the U.S., after children’s music" pretty much the way it is at our home. Smooth jazz still handles duties during dinner and regarding golf, well I tee off in 3 hours. :D

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Well, in Seattle, Jazz is still important and in favor. Our NPR station here, http://kplu.org/ plays jazz all day - it could be because we also have a classical station (that only recently went non-profit) so they can specialize, but they get enough public funding to keep it running!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing