Has jazz become America’s least-popular genre?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Well Jazz may not be my least favorite but it is right down there with Rap and Heavy Metal.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I really like Jazz, but haven't explored the genre as much as perhaps I should or even would like. IMO it's not an easy genre to become involved in, much like Classical, for someone who was raised on the music of the Sixties and Seventies.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I really like Jazz, but haven't explored the genre as much as perhaps I should or even would like. IMO it's not an easy genre to become involved in, much like Classical, for someone who was raised on the music of the Sixties and Seventies.

I'm pretty confused by this statement since I am sure than the vast majority of both jazz and classical audiences are people "raised on the music of the Sixties and Seventies". OTOH, maybe this helps explain why neither of these musical genres are popular...:(

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm pretty confused by this statement since I am sure than the vast majority of both jazz and classical audiences are people "raised on the music of the Sixties and Seventies". OTOH, maybe this helps explain why neither of these musical genres are popular...:(

I was only speaking for myself and not the vast majority.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I was raised in the 60's and 70's and could really care less about most of the music from my days in high school and college. I was fortunate to be the son of a musician and was exposed to jazz at a very young age. I was a jazz buff in high school. While most of the kids were talking about the great new Led Zep release, I was bored to tears. I was too busy with the likes of Duke Ellington, et al. As I have gotten older, I listen to mostly jazz and a good bit of classical. I almost never listen to rock at all today expect for one or two old favs. Other than to take one of my kids, I doubt I will attend any more rock concerts. About the only one I can see myself attending would be Billy Joel at MSG, if I can get decent tickets for 2. It is amazing that you can get great seats in the US at so many jazz venues for great artists on the day of the show, while in Europe, they are sold out well in advance. Says it all about the popularity of the genre, especially in the US where, ironically enough, it was born.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I was only speaking for myself and not the vast majority.

But my point was I think you are speaking for the vast majority; if not, jazz and classical would be more popular. Somewhat ironically, I think more of the popular music of the '60's and '70's was both influenced by and quoted classical and jazz much more than the popular music of today.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
70s and 80s here. Went through the obligatory "they don't make music like they used to" phase in the 90s. Went waaaaay back to the golden age of jazz and got addicted to classical during that period. Hit middle age and somehow a switch was thrown and biases crumbled. I can listen to heavy metal and rap now although if the message is violent I don't care for it. Some country is even growing on me but maybe because as someone here pointed out some time ago modern country is a hell of a lot like 70s radio rock. Lady Antebellum anyone? I guess the curiosity I had when I was younger as far as exploring other musical forms got kickstarted again because my kids' enthusiasm rubbed off on me. It's those "Dad, have you heard this?" sessions.

Anyway, one thing Jazz and Classical lacks compared to popular music is repeating structures. It's those repeating hooks be they lyrics, basslines and/or riffs. Stuff that makes a song easy to remember and thus easy to sing or dance along with. In other words, designed to snag even the most attention span challenged. The exception perhaps are Jazz and Classical written purposely for dancing where hooks do abound. In the case of Jazz however, "dancing jazz" was spun off in name into entirely different genres like Swing by the time the late 30s and 40s came around for example.

From a purist perspective I agree that Jazz is really tiny now in terms of popularity. If you look at Jazz's influence on the whole however definitely far from it.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Great post Jack.

Jazz like golf is stronger than ever.

If you mean both are declining in popularity I guess that's right :(

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Jazz hasn't lost any popularity in my house. I listen to it about 30% of my listening time, with classical and classic rock/pop for the remainder. Most new gen music is sheet, imo and doesn't make the cut for my listening pleasure.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Golf's popularity has been declining…….. in the USA but it has been growing surprisingly in the very same markets that audio is. Countries like Germany, France, South Korea, China, Russia, South East Asia. With the sport becoming an official Olympic event next year, it is expected to become even more popular as sports associations all over the world have begun to set up junior programs.

As the US continues to rebound, I expect the more expensive recreational activities will too. There's debate about how the so called millenials have not taken to the sport in the US. Some say they don't have the patience. Some say that the popularity of a sport is superstar driven and the US hasn't had its own superstar since Tiger. I suppose all are contributing factors if one looks at where the game is most popular today, Ireland. Home of Golf's present top dog.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Golf is doomed in a sense if Tiger doesn't come back....Without him in the field, the game is quite boring to watch most of the time.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Golf is doomed in a sense if Tiger doesn't come back....Without him in the field, the game is quite boring to watch most of the time.

Since the thread has gone off-topic: More boring than Golf = Formula 1. I started following F1 in the 1950's = GREAT. Now, I just read the updates occasionally.
zz.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

Anyone one that makes a statement like this obviously has never been interested in golf on a personal level.

I really don't give sh*t if Tiger ever plays again. I didn't get into golf because of Tiger Woods.

I've lived on the same golf course for the last 26 years and I've been building and repairing golf equipment for 18 years.

Golf is not declining on Maui.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Jack,

Thought you'd enjoy this one:

Fifty shades of Golf

Four guys have been going on the same golfing trip to StAndrews for many years.

Two days before the group is to leave, John's wife puts herfoot down and tells him he isn't going. John's mates are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do.

Two days later, the three get to St Andrews only to findJohn sitting at the bar with four drinks set up! "Wow John, how long you been here, and how did you talk your missus into letting you go?"

"Well, I've been here since last night. Yesterday evening, I was sitting in my living room chair and my wife came up behind meand put her hands over my eyes and asked, 'Guess who?" I pulled her hands off, and there she was, wearing a nightie.

"She took my hand and pulled me into our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over. Well she'd been reading 50 Shades ofGrey... and on the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes! She told me to tie her up and cuff her to the bed, so I did. And then she said, "Do whatever you want."

"So... Here I am

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
ROTFL!

I agree regarding F1. Another sport lacking in superstars that is. Started to go downhill after Hamilton was unfairly dubbed a robot. Even awesome guys like Vettel couldn't quite save it.

How about boxing? Mired for years in politics and top fighters ducking each other because of money and politics. Hence no true great rivalries. In May we get a super fight but surprise, surprise, two guys past their prime. :(

Back to Jazz. I love Big Band. Did a search to see if there were any modern recordings. I'm pretty sure you can guess what came up or rather what didn't. Made me want to cry. The last time I saw a big band live was 30 years ago. Well, not quite. My brother organized one to back some of our talents made up of some of the best local session artists for my folks' 50th wedding anniversary celebration. Too bad it wasn't recorded well for posterity because of the lack of time for preparation, neither the CD nor DVD but it was great to be there.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Since the thread has gone off-topic: More boring than Golf = Formula 1. I started following F1 in the 1950's = GREAT. Now, I just read the updates occasionally.
zz.

Yes...F1's hay day is over. It will be interesting to see if Honda can get their sheet together with McLaren and Alonso..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing