Gryphon Diablo 300 - 5.5 years of ownership

kastor77

Jun 11, 2022
Another Gryphon Diablo 300 owner here, driving Marten Parker Duo speakers. I am still in the break-in phase and already quite satisfied with the large soundstage and its capacity.
My dealer suggested to use the Torus Power TOT Max isolator. Any experience, feedback, advice please?

Last edited:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I also have a Diablo 300 (about five years). Driving Magico S3 MkIIs. After first trying an AudioQuest Niagara 5000 with Hurricane PCs, I switched to a Shunyata Denali 6000/S V2 with a Sigma XC and Alpha V2 NR PCs. This has been an outstanding combination for me. Quiet, dynamic, wonderful window into the music.

Reactions: bmarq

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have never heard an unflattering word about the Diablo 300. I feel this way about Gryphon amplifiers in general. It’s not everybody’s cup of sonic tea, but who has ever heard a negative comment about the Mephisto?

It is great that all of you are so happy with the Diablo!

On the frustration about not being able to make an easy update to the Diablo via USB I’m a little puzzled. (However, I appreciate that this comment may be more about my personal preference that I don’t like my stereo components to incorporate programmable computers.)

I feel like maybe you’re thinking in computer terms rather than in audio component terms? Why would an audio amplifier be able to be updated like a computer? Personally, I want my audio components to be dedicated devices, not computers.

If an amplifier needs upgrading it makes sense to me that you take to it to a shop or take it to a dealer for a physical circuit board upgrade of some sort. I personally don’t think of audio amplifiers as being upgradable like computers.

Reactions: bmarq

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I also have a Diablo 300 (about five years). Driving Magico S3 MkIIs. After first trying an AudioQuest Niagara 5000 with Hurricane PCs, I switched to a Shunyata Denali 6000/S V2 with a Sigma XC and Alpha V2 NR PCs. This has been an outstanding combination for me. Quiet, dynamic, wonderful window into the music.
I think both are very good. Why did you go for the later?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
The Niagara had a slight low level hum audible from my listening seat - slightly annoying, hard to get out of my head. Initially the Diablo 300 was driven off the Niagara. Dealer suggested I plug it directly into the wall. I did, with slight improvement in dynamics but no effect on the hum. (In both cases the system was driven from a single dedicated 20 amp dual outlet line.) The Niagara/Hurricane combination was otherwise satisfying. Eventually, after the Denali V2 was announced, I decided to try Shunyata with a good trade-in on the still-current AQ conditioner and cables. For me a good move. No hum, quieter system. Clearer, cleaner window into the music.

Last edited:

vsrrr

Sep 21, 2022
NYC
Has anyone tried the Gryphon phono section? I’m trying to decide if I should get one added to my Diablo 300 or buy an outboard phono pre in the 2k range.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Has anyone tried the Gryphon phono section? I’m trying to decide if I should get one added to my Diablo 300 or buy an outboard phono pre in the 2k range.
I have no experience here but would venture you'll need to pay more for an outboard unit and power cable to get equivalent performance.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
My Diablo 300 has both the DAC and phono modules. I have tried the phono and found it to be a very good performing unit with limited adjustability. It does not perform on the level of my DSA Phono 2, though there is no reason it should... I am also not sure the 2k range will be enough to outperform the Gryphon.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Has anyone used the Lampi Horizon directly to the Mephisto? I've always used a pre in the mix, any input will be appreciated...PM me if you want...John

simon68

Nov 17, 2022
firenze,italia
Hi to everybody
, I've had a Diablo 300 for 2 years, great handling, speed, stage, transparency and a pinch of warmth. I had taken it to drive the 804D3s, then the Gryphon Mojos and now I have home-built speakers with a good 93.5 db of real efficiency, so I'm thinking of replacing it with something less powerful in terms of watts, but more refined.... do you have any idea?? thank you all

kastor77

Jun 11, 2022
Hi to everybody
, I've had a Diablo 300 for 2 years, great handling, speed, stage, transparency and a pinch of warmth. I had taken it to drive the 804D3s, then the Gryphon Mojos and now I have home-built speakers with a good 93.5 db of real efficiency, so I'm thinking of replacing it with something less powerful in terms of watts, but more refined.... do you have any idea?? thank you all

Hi Simon, for such efficiency I suggest you have a look at Pass Labs. I have had the Int 60 in the past and it was a very good amp indeed. Cheers, Nick

Reactions: simon68

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
they are still not found at a good price used and I don't think the leap is very large from the diablo, as Pandora / Antileon could be

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
they are still not found at a good price used and I don't think the leap is very large from the diablo, as Pandora / Antileon could be
From all accounts, the Essence sound (reportedly most similar to the Mephisto) is significantly different from (a) the Diablo (which I have) and (b) the Antileon/Pandora (a warmer sound). The Essence is fairly early in its product cycle, and is apparently very well received, so I would not be expecting to see screaming used bargains.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon68

simon68

Nov 17, 2022
firenze,italia
per il momento mi sto godendo il Diablo, poi se si presenterà l'occasione, proverò alcuni amplificatori di classe A (anche con valvole).
Una domanda, sull'uscita tape out è possibile provare un amplificatore di potenza (usando il diablo come preamplificatore?)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing