Gryphon Audio Pendragon

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My audio room is not big 6.2/8.0/3.0 (W/L/H) , Kuzma TT is more convenient to user and stable performance while Vyger is more complicated to use and maintain high standard of playing records. Vyger is more like luxury car while Kuzma was MB/BMW.

Your room is approximately the same size as my room.

How far are the midrange/tweeter panels from the front wall?

How far is your listening seat from the rear wall?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Can Anyone comment on Pendragon compared to Kodo’s? Likes/dislikes

Reactions: vjayh

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Question for Pendragon owners:

How long a length of interconnect do you use between each bass tower and your amplifiers (assuming you use the loop-through built into the bass tower, rather than two separate pairs of interconnects from your line stage pre-amplifier)?

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Hi Ron,

I'm not using the "loop-through". Don't forget that the cross-over frequency is at 200Hz, so there is still a decent amount of frequencies higher than 200Hz presented by the woofer towers. Therefore I prefer to have left and right channel real left and right. so I use two separate pairs of interconnects indeed from the CH P L1. The "loop-through" could be used to power additional subs if one prefers to do so.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for your reply. I am a little bit confused by it.

Why does using the loop-throughs merge the low frequencies of the left handle on the right channel?

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Ok, the bass towers have a XLR input as well as a XLR output. So basically from the pre-amp you feed into the XLR input. In case you wish to work with multiple subs, you can take the XLR output to feed the next Sub-amp. So you don't go from let's say the left base tower to the right base tower using this output. It could be done, but then you would be feeding the "left signal" into the right base tower. If it were very low frequencies only, you would likely not be able to distinguish the mix-up, however as the cross-over frequency is rather high, you will hear this. But possibly you meant something else ? Bottom line is that you should have four outputs on your pre-amp, so you can feed the four power amps directly from the pre=amp. There is no XLR output on the mid/high towers, so you can't go from there to the bass towers. I'm using 1 pair of short (1 meter) interconnects to go from the L1 to the M1.1 monos, and 1 longer pair (3,5 meter) to feed the power amps in the base towers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, again.

So you don't go from let's say the left base tower to the right base tower using this output. It could be done, but then you would be feeding the "left signal" into the right base tower. If it were very low frequencies only, you would likely not be able to distinguish the mix-up, however as the cross-over frequency is rather high, you will hear this.

If I am not using external subwoofers (and using only the bass towers), since each bass tower has its own loop-through, do you agree there is no possible "mix-up"?

BD1426BF-99A0-45D9-942C-4291E1F09BFD.jpeg

Thank you for telling me the length of the cables.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
I do agree that a set-up as shown will work as well, however it would not be my preferred set-up, only in case the pre-amp doesn't have 2 sets of outputs. Basically in that case the Bass Tower amps become the connector, I believe that connectors are a weak link. (In fact where I come from = Electricity Power Plants, and a cable gets damaged you will not repair by using a connector, but rather replace the complete cable between the termination points). But if you have no choice well it will still work of course. (and of course there will be no mix-up in that case).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I do agree that a set-up as shown will work as well, however it would not be my preferred set-up, only in case the pre-amp doesn't have 2 sets of outputs. Basically in that case the Bass Tower amps become the connector, I believe that connectors are a weak link. (In fact where I come from = Electricity Power Plants, and a cable gets damaged you will not repair by using a connector, but rather replace the complete cable between the termination points). But if you have no choice well it will still work of course. (and of course there will be no mix-up in that case).

I understand. Thank you very much.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Chanc95

Jul 6, 2015
Your room is approximately the same size as my room.

How far are the midrange/tweeter panels from the front wall?

How far is your listening seat from the rear wall?

Hi Ron, I sent reply to your box 25/Jan. May go to garbage box ?

As for the distance between speaker to back wall , from ribbon to wall is about 3 meters , and ribbon to ribbon( two speakers) is 2.8 meters
sitting position to ribbon is 3.4 meters.
I've followed up with Gryphon instruction for speaker position , I draw a couple sets of curve toward to sitting position , pls see the attached picture.
This is real fast in positioning and get a great 3D soundstage, but lack of out of box image when playing Peter Paul and Mary.( lemon tree), Peter and Paul ony sang within woofer module. If you place speaker lesser tow in , Peter and Paul will sing outside of woofer module.

I used the positioning of ribbon module and woofer module to determine whether soundstage closer of farther away , this is the 4 piece speaker's advantage which 2 pieces speaker can not have.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Hi guys, this is to let you know that due to various reasons (partially Covid-19 related) I have decided to downscale, meaning that the equipment I have been using will be up for sale in the very near future. I don't know yet what I will buy back when the conditions have improved again, but do realize that the main issue will be the speakers, as it will be very difficult to buy something which will provide the same experience. I have owned many very good speakers in the past, including the Apogee Full Range as well as the Apogee Grand, however the Pendragon does provide a different experience....the only disadvantage I can think of is the size, which will also be one of the reasons I have decided to part with them. They need a decent room size to breathe, but for those who have such room, I can't think of any other speaker system clearly outperforming the Pendragon. Surely, in the future there will be new designs, better speakers yet, however prices will go up even further. Nevertheless, I have -and still am- enjoying the discussions on this forum, and will continue to do so. I will focus on a few other things in life for now, and after that will start to think of my next steps. Some set up with CH P L10/M10 would be nice I think... ;) . (CH P being one of my favorite brands so far).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Han,

I am terribly sorry to learn of these troubles.

I hope your health is okay, and that these troubles will cease soon!

With warmest regards,

Ron

Last edited:

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
Yes, this wasn't planned. Luckily physical health is still okay, (unlike many others, so we shouldn't complain too much I guess).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Han, hope all works out for you soon.

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.
always remain optimistic, anyway, thanks...

han_n

Sep 5, 2019
Surabaya, Indonesia.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello,

Do you mean the outside metal case, or the actual drivers themselves?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing