Grimm Audio MU2 "Major Dac"

GHasley

Jul 22, 2022
A fine review, especially given that reviewers (and most audiophiles) eschew all in one products. Its unlikely that a piece like the MU2 will find a long-term home in Punter’s rotation. There is one glaring omission in the MU2: digital outputs.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
A fine review, especially given that reviewers (and most audiophiles) eschew all in one products. Its unlikely that a piece like the MU2 will find a long-term home in Punter’s rotation. There is one glaring omission in the MU2: digital outputs.
Hans Beekhuyzen's latest video explains how he, as a reviewer, will handle that issue. He is purchasing the MU2.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
It has USB output.

• Haha
Reactions: matthias

GHasley

Jul 22, 2022
It has USB output.
Listen guys, I’m a Grimm MU1 early adopter and LOVE the Grimm. The USB output on both the MU1 and MU2 are the equivalent of those found on the least capable computer found at Best Buy. Its a weakness and if Hans B is going to use it to review digital gear, discount the validity of those reviews.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Listen guys, I’m a Grimm MU1 early adopter and LOVE the Grimm. The USB output on both the MU1 and MU2 are the equivalent of those found on the least capable computer found at Best Buy. Its a weakness and if Hans B is going to use it to review digital gear, discount the validity of those reviews.
Yeah, Hans is using a USB decrapifier.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
do you think it likely that he didn't test the USB option before purchasing the MU2?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
It has USB output.
From the MU2 manual:
This general purpose USB type A connector can be used
to connect an external USB drive (flash drive, SSD or
HDD) to the MU2 system.

GHasley

Jul 22, 2022
I’m not trying to cause anyone heartburn, but the USB port on the MU1 is unsuitable IMO to stream from. USB “decrappifiers” do a decent job and depending on the level of a system, that may be fine for some. One of the things that drew me to the MU1 was an optimized digital stream without the need for all the bandaids and spaghetti nest of LPS/filters et al. If the USB port on the MU2 is similar to that found on the MU1, then it is what it is. I may still be a buyer of a MU2, I just need to experience in my system. Presently, my MU1 feeding a DCS dac is preety hard to beat in my imperfect setup. YMMV But having lived long term in the past with Uptone ether regen/USB regen types of products…I’ll pass trying to optimize USB and stick with AES or ethernet.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I’m not trying to cause anyone heartburn, but the USB port on the MU1 is unsuitable IMO to stream from. USB “decrappifiers” do a decent job and depending on the level of a system, that may be fine for some. One of the things that drew me to the MU1 was an optimized digital stream without the need for all the bandaids and spaghetti nest of LPS/filters et al. If the USB port on the MU2 is similar to that found on the MU1, then it is what it is. I may still be a buyer of a MU2, I just need to experience in my system. Presently, my MU1 feeding a DCS dac is preety hard to beat in my imperfect setup. YMMV But having lived long term in the past with Uptone ether regen/USB regen types of products…I’ll pass trying to optimize USB and stick with AES or ethernet.
no heartburn, just a difference of opinion (not mine since I have never used USB).

I'm in a similar place -- the MU1 feeding my DAC = music. What more is desired? Yet, hearing the MU2 would be interesting. I also had the eR (two in fact) and wanted the simplicity of one device. Some of the ethernet cleaners do reduce noise, but also seem to move the perspective to being closer to the stage. That isn't my desired outcome. The Muon, which is a passive device, doesn't do that, but it does reduce noise.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
From the MU2 manual:
This general purpose USB type A connector can be used
to connect an external USB drive (flash drive, SSD or
HDD) to the MU2 system.
check out HB's video about the MU2. He explains at the end how he will use the USB.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
check out HB's video about the MU2. He explains at the end how he will use the USB.
Sorry, didn't find anything you mentioned. He says the USB could be used for an USB DAC but it would be better to use it for an external USB drive like described in the manual.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Sorry, didn't find anything you mentioned. He says the USB could be used for an USB DAC but it would be better to use it for an external USB drive like described in the manual.
Wait what?! You're now saying it does have USB out?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
The USB from the MU2 goes to a Singer SU6 USB interface which has 6 different outputs: "The SU-6 digital interface is a new generation of high-performance USB digital audio interface. It uses XMOS' latest xCORE-200 series and Xilinx's high-performance large-scale PGA chip. The SU-6 is a digital interface using a thermostat-level clock system. Crystek's two CCHD-957 femtosecond crystal oscillators provide a solid foundation for the superior audio signal quality of the SU-6 output. The SU-6 digital interface uses a standard USB2.0 input interface, while the SU-6 has a rich output interface, including S/PDI for fiber/coaxial RCA and BNC outputs, AES/EBU for XLR balanced output, RJ45 and HDMI interfaces. Output I2S (including DSD ON signal), clock output supports MCLK main clock and WCLK word clock. "

This gives him a very large range of possible connections to DACs. see 5:36 of the video.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@PYP
Thanks, but it doesn't make sense to me as you get basically the same SQ as the USB output of the MU1. The AES output of the MU1 was always reviewed to be superior because of Grimm's flitering and upsampling via FPGA.
According to HB the Grimms as pure Roon servers are not better than other devices but quite inferior with large libraries.

Last edited:

GHasley

Jul 22, 2022
@PYP The Singxer is a fine bandaid but not a top shelf solution. I used several iterations and they did a fine job when I was handcuffed to USB out but also handcuffed at the time to AES in. Its a great device to convert USB to other spdif formats (AES being the one I relied upon). Im not arguing that Hans B isnt bright and sincere, I’m just saying his reviews in the future utilizing the USB output from either Grimm will be handicapped. Listen for yourself As its easy to compare with a Singxer….connect it and listen back to back with the AES/RCA outputs of the MU1 into your dac. Disbale the fs upsampling out from the MU1 and connect its rca spdif to your dac. Then immediately switch to the MU1 usb to aes output of the Singxer feeding your dac. Sounds pretty good but not in the same league as the MU1 AES output.

Regarding the Muon and Muon Pro filter. I was an ealry user of the Muon when I had an Innuos Zenith. I “believe” i heard a positive difference but the more I reflect on it, I’m just not so sure. I then upgraded to the MU1 and could not discern whether there was any difference. I was then provided with an early version of the Muon Pro System. (I had also inserted a NA Rubicon swith, which is still in my setup although I cant really hear any difference today). I just couldnt hear any difference and believe me please….I LOVE to spend money on audio gear. Believe what we all want to believe….it matters not in the whole scheme of things. Grimm, Antipodes, Aurender, Taiko, et al do a wonderful job advancing the real science behind getting good sound and it certainly does no harm to insert exceptionally made cables and switches. But Hans B using the USB port out of a Grimm to evaluate anything in the future wont inform any gear decision I might contemplate.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
But Hans B using the USB port out of a Grimm to evaluate anything in the future wont inform any gear decision I might contemplate.
Agree,
it is about the same as using a Roon Nucleus.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
@GHasley I appreciate that you are talking from your own experience. Everyone has to do their thing, including HB.

I thought he provided excellent descriptions of the sound of the Muon Pro and the Stack Audio footers once I heard them in my own system (perhaps our - HB's and mine - systems react similarly to such additions). That is all I ask for in any review -- a heads-up to try tweaks in my own setup.

That said, my gear has been purchased after reading the impressions of owners, not "professionals." That is one good thing about these threads. You can get to know someone's preferences for gear they have actually lived with in their setup (which is distinct from generalizations/assumptions/pontificating/bloviating, much of which are on these threads). If you hear it like they do, you can be introduced to new gear to try at home. No two setups are alike and there are many paths to audio nirvana.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing