Giyas tipped up in the highs

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
That's your first thing to try? I think that's insane. Again, it's extremely unlikely the speakers have anything to do with the "tipped up" sound. As far as I know no one has reported them having anything but flat pretty flat FR, with measurements.

He's not an expert crossover designer, either, to know when as many problems might be created as solved by changing something.

I assumed the owner has already tried (without success) to re-position the speakers. Changing the tweeter level is a very reasonable thing to try and is very effective. It is not making the speaker inaccurate at all. Many manufacturers (like Wilson Audio) have user-adjustable tweeter levels for very good reasons. Yes, speakers should measure flat in an anechoic chamber, but that should be just the starting point. The final response in a real room should be set by adjusting the tweeter level by ear to what sounds natural (to your ears and in your room).

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Tweeters measure pretty flat in room, too. If the FR isn't out of whack, it's what they're producing not adding to the music... hence electronics or cables.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks for all the advice and responses. First, let me say that I have done extensive measuring with my recent speakers and in other listening rooms. I'm not an expert, but an experienced amateur. My room is tuned with mild absorption and mostly diffusion. With my previous speakers + 2 JLA F113 subs I spent extensive time measuring, listening and tuning to achieve what I found to be the most natural and accurate - Harman target curve from my system. Some data points:
- The speakers currently have ~230 hours on them. From ~150 hours and beyond I've heard little to no change in sound.
- Giyas have been set up using the Wilson method + significant measuring, moving and listening. They are about the best they can be in my room to get a good balance of bass / mid bass without sounding muddy or thin while still achieving a wide, deep sound stage. There is no thin bass making the high stand out as bright.
- The subs have been adjusted to accommodate the Giyas. The change was minimal versus the Ushers which makes sense since I'm working with the limitations of the room irrespective of the speaker (I have a bad 60Hz dip and a 30Hz peak both managed with the subs quite effectively).
- Measuring with REW with the Giyas the highs do not roll off (like the Harman curve) when on spikes (tweeter on axis with my listening ear in the SS with moderate toe - in.
- I tried toe - in crossing in front of the SS = bright / worse.
- I tried toe - in with drivers facing the sweet spot (like Wilsons) = bright.
- Info: The Giya G1 Spirit front driver array =~ 5/14" higher than the G2s. Also, Lawrence Dickie had stated that the G1 tweeter was a bit too high for most SS ears, hence the reason (or part of the reason) to lower the G1 Spirit tweeter by 4" versus the G1.
- Due to above, I have been experimenting with raising the G2s to have the tweeter closer to the G1 Spirit height. This helped significantly with brightness and also raised the overall sound stage as expected.
- After additional advice that Vivid demos the Giyas with little to no toe - in I additionally experimented with very little toe - in, even better (less bright) This is reflected in measurements where it much closely matches the Harman curve in the highs.

For those that use significant toe - in I would love to know what amp(s), source and preamp you use.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
No sir, not trying to avoid hearing them, they are outstanding speakers, I'm trying to balance the highs with the rest of the speaker in my room. I will try some cheaper cables, thanks. BTW, about a year back I took out on loan Audience AU24SX SCs and ICs which had a very similar tonality as the JPS Labs cables. Neither were bright, both were quite transparent in my system which had Ushers at the time. Ultimately I ended up keeping my JPS Labs cables.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Those speakers are very favorable reviewed, and "bright" or any such word doesn't seem to get used with the reviews. I'm confident you'll be able to get there, too. It might just take a little toying around.

Reactions: sbo6

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
No sir, not trying to avoid hearing them, they are outstanding speakers, I'm trying to balance the highs with the rest of the speaker in my room. I will try some cheaper cables, thanks. BTW, about a year back I took out on loan Audience AU24SX SCs and ICs which had a very similar tonality as the JPS Labs cables. Neither were bright, both were quite transparent in my system which had Ushers at the time. Ultimately I ended up keeping my JPS Labs cables.

I think you have great speakers! For a modern speaker I really like Vivids. Perhaps a Cardas Golden Cross or Golden Reference IC for the amp powering the mids and highs? Have you experimented with just a single stereo amp ?

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
LOL, thanks Steve! Will certainly hit you up for help when needed. With the work I've done since you guys came over they sound quite a bit different (for the better).

Vivid Audio

Aug 6, 2019
Hello There
I doubt there is anything untoward with your loudspeakers.
I would be concerned with the use of two different amplifiers (always not recommended for a myriad of sound reasons) and not toeing the speakers in towards the listener (thus reducing wall reflections)
I would seek professional assistance.
Best wishes
VA

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi Vivid Audio,

Are you a dealer? Also, as I stated earlier Vivid Audio themselves do not toe in when demoing their speakers.

As for amplifiers, the amp used for the woofers was specifically selected and it has an input sensitivity and power output that matches the mid/tweet amp (gain matched). I have also measured with 1 amp or biamped and the bass output is identical. Furthermore I had no such output or phase issues when running this same amp combination with my last speakers.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
LOL, thanks Steve! Will certainly hit you up for help when needed. With the work I've done since you guys came over they sound quite a bit different (for the better).
I don't know where you live however I would suggest that you get some help. You spent a lot of money so do yourself a favor and get a professional to make them sing and identify what you are hearing and the correct way to solve it. Getting myriad of opinions that don't know you or your room and gear is truly worthless. Sorry if I offended someone but this is not different that asking for medical advice of an ailment with no examine and patient history.
I am not making a statements about the gear or the speakers however I strongly believe that you are searching in the wrong place!

Reactions: dan31

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks for the advice Elliot. I am simply reaching out to those who have or had Giya speakers for their experiences. That's one of the beauties of forums like this - you get a concentrated group to provide feedback for free, nothing wrong with that.

As for experts, I could argue I am one with an engineering background, audio equipment owner/tweaker for 30+ years, musician, amateur recording engineer and someone who has hands - on experience measuring and tuning audio rooms / systems. From my experience, what constitutes a "professional" in this hobby is anyone's guess. I've been to many high end audio stores (and I'm sure you have also) where the equipment and rooms were set up horribly, yet they're selling the gear and considered experts. I've also heard / seen six and seven figure systems that were set up by "professionals" and the acoustic treatment choices and placement were abysmal reflected in the audio experience. IME the best of the best sounding systems are those with owners who painstakingly took the time to learn to measure, assess the data, listen and tune/reposition the speaker/sub(s) and the sweet spot and apply acoustic treatments as needed for the best compromise of bass, mid and highs, image size / depth in their limited listening environment.

Apologies for the long winded reply. On a brighter note - tuning and listening last night with recent changes I've employed working with an Audio magazine reviewer (including extensive Giya reviews/experience) I'm getting quite a nice balance from the G2 S2s. Based on his advice / experience, I guess I'd call him a professional. :)

Thanks again for your reply Elliot!

Last edited:
Reactions: analogsa

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks for the advice Elliot. I am simply reaching out to those who have or had Giya speakers for their experiences. That's one of the beauties of forums like this - you get a concentrated group to provide feedback for free, nothing wrong with that.

As for experts, I could argue I am one with an engineering background, audio equipment owner/tweaker for 30+ years, musician, amateur recording engineer and someone who has hands - on experience measuring and tuning audio rooms / systems. From my experience, what constitutes a "professional" in this hobby is anyone's guess. I've been to many high end audio stores (and I'm sure you have also) where the equipment and rooms were set up horribly, yet they're selling the gear and considered experts. I've also heard / seen six and seven figure systems that were set up by "professionals" and the acoustic treatment choices, placement were abysmal reflected in the audio experience. The best of the best sounding systems those with owners who painstakingly took the time to learn to measure, assess the data, listen and tune/reposition the speaker/sub(s) and the sweet spot and apply acoustic treatments as needed for the best compromise of bass, mid and highs, image size / depth in their limited listening environment.

Apologies for the long winded reply. On a brighter note - tuning and listening last night with recent changes I've employed working with an Audio magazine reviewer (including extensive Giya reviews/experience) I'm getting quite a nice balance from the G2 S2s. Based on his advice / experience, I guess I'd call him a professional. :)

Thanks again for your reply Elliot!
And what was the remedy?

Reactions: Folsom

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
A combination of things. The crux of it being:
- More optimal speaker placement closer to the front and side walls than previous speakers.
- As stated earlier Vivid demos their speakers with no toe - in.
- With no toe - in first reflections are stronger and more critical to address. The recommendation is full absorption.

As I was working to find the best speaker placement for the best compromise of bass, mid and highs, image size / depth I continued to elevate the speakers 3" while applying very slight toe - in (versus toe - in with triangle closing behind the sweet spot) and changed from diffusion to absorption for the first reflections. The first reflection absorption made a significant difference.

There are many other changes versus my last speakers in terms of subwoofer settings and room treatment since the Giyas load the room quite differently with dual ~8.5" side firing woofers versus the Ushers with dual 11" front firing woofers. Still working to further optimize.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is this reviewer Joel? I was going to suggest him since I have heard his with the Luxman (and Ypsilon aelius) and they were not bright at all

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
No sir, it was Doug from Soundstage HiFi. Curious with Joel if he had any toe - in and were they G1 or G2?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thank you, will PM Joel. The G1's front speaker array is ~10" higher than the G2 and Lawrence Dickie had stated that in retrospect that he would've lowered the drivers (primarily because of the excessive tweeter height) to better accommodate most listening chair / listener's heights. That's why the G1 Spirit's drivers are ~5" lower than the G1 and one of the reasons why I raised my G2s to have the tweeter closer to the G1 Spirit's tweeter height. It's also one of the reasons I believe you can get away with more toe - in with the G1s versus G2s since the tweeter is over your head at the sweet spot.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing