Gil Evans Miles Davis Sketches of Spain

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Was searching for the video of Gil Evans latest album in the parallel thread and Youtube suggested this lovely one by Gil Evans and Miles Davis:

Is the digital version any good? The CD is going for just $8!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yes, the CD is good, though I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it's a mere shadow of the vinyl.

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This is one of my favorites of Miles. Sadly, its reputation seems to have declined over the years. Yes, it is very well recorded. Haven't listened to the CD in years after I got an original mono pressing which seems more detailed and vivid. I haven't heard any of the high end vinyl reissues. Wasn't it put out on SACD?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Which version of the CD is $8 Amir?

Tim

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'm partial to the 50th Anniversary release. Second disk of out takes that I tend to listen too fairly often, but then I'm a Miles completist :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
That's probably the remaster from the 50th Anniversary edition, without the outtakes. But that's a guess. If it's a good guess it is, to my ears, a bit warmer than the original CD, but both are good. $7.29? Buy it.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I must be getting old or something. I found the original CD very good sounding. I am with PP the remaster is "warmer" don't care enough to prefer one over the other .. The music is sublime.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Tim. Strange product description there:

"Product Details
Audio CD (September 23, 1997)
Original Release Date: 2000"

The CD was released prior to the "original release date???"

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I must be getting old or something. I found the original CD very good sounding. I am with PP the remaster is "warmer" don't care enough to prefer one over the other .. The music is sublime.

I'm fine with the original as well. In fact, I think the re-master may mute the percussion a bit, but that could be expectation bias. :) And yes, Frantz, the music is wonderful. I was inspired by this thread and listened to it this morning. A treat.

Tim

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
This is one of my favorites of Miles. Sadly, its reputation seems to have declined over the years. Yes, it is very well recorded. Haven't listened to the CD in years after I got an original mono pressing which seems more detailed and vivid. I haven't heard any of the high end vinyl reissues. Wasn't it put out on SACD?

Yep, I have these two versions of the SACD;

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/643

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/8576

It's been a while since I've listen to them so I can't say at the moment which one sounds better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing