Genesis 10th Anniversary Show: International CES 2013

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
OT
I am working on a primer for each major genre of music. I did not put them together. but I am trying to post and listen to a sample of each album

Most interesting is Top 25 Country and Western.

If you can, make a video of your exhibit and share it with us.

Sure, Greg. If I make a video...... problem is that during shows, I sometimes don't even have time to take still pictures.

Top 25 Country and Western would be a real challenge for me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just few Artists (C&W) who have some excellent recordings :: Among many others :::

-- Lyle Lovett, Alison Krauss, Bap Kennedey, Delbert McClinton, Steve Forbert, Steve Earle, Stacy Earle, Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Willie Nelson, Buddy Miller, Julie Miller, Chris Isaak, Emmylou Harris, Nanci Griffith, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, George Strait, etc., etc., etc.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
-- Lyle Lovett, Alison Krauss, Bap Kennedey, Delbert McClinton, Steve Forbert, Steve Earle, Stacy Earle, Johnny Cash, Rosanne Cash, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Willie Nelson, Buddy Miller, Julie Miller, Chris Isaak, Emmylou Harris, Nanci Griffith, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, George Strait, etc., etc., etc.

Many artists on that list (the ones with whom people here are most likely to be familiar) don't really fit the modern "country" category...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Strings

Quite often, someone comes in, and when I ask what he/she wants to hear, he says "Strings?" as with some trepidation. I don't know why there should be fear strings for any well-designed loudspeaker. This is an album I'll frequently pull out when asked. It's a mono, and the recording and playing is first rate.

Nothing needs to be said about Jascha Heifetz - the best violinist of all time. Erick Friedman, on the other hand, is regarded by many as the greatest of the American-born violinist. No young artist has made a more auspicious recording debut. At 22, Friedman was chosen by his teacher, Heifetz to accompany him on J.S.Bach's Concerto for Two Violins in D Minor.

Sir Malcolm Sargent conducted the New Symphony Orchestra of London and Alan Reeve was the "knob twiddler" recording engineer.

This concerto was written during one of the happiest periods in the life of Bach while he served as kapellmeister for Prince Leopold of Anhalt-Cothen. The joy flows through and listening to it always puts a smile on my face. Amazing how a 50-year old mono LP of a 300-year old concerto can be so alive.

Heifetz Friedman.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm certainly not a country music maven but here are few that I enjoy and are good sounding LPs:

Johnny Cash "The Fabulous Johnny Cash" Columbia CL 1253, 1958 (mono 6-eye)

Jamey Johnson "That Lonesome Song" Mercury, 2008 (Voted country music LP of the decade)

Jamey Johnson ""Living For A Song: A Tribute To Hank Cochran" Mercury 2012 (one of the best LPs of 2012, but have had 'no-fill' problems on the vinyl)

Dwight Yoakam "3 Pears", Warner Bros, 2012. (Just got this and really enjoying it)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Many artists on that list (the ones with whom people here are most likely to be familiar) don't really fit the modern "country" category...

I know exactly what you mean; but they are certainly not Rap, Rock&Roll, New Age, Classical, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Punk, Funk, Fusion, Electronica, Easy Listening, Choral, Pure Soul, ...

They are part of Country music, and with all the soul that follows with it.
And some 'junctions' are derived or part of Bluegrass (Country, not from the city), and all other various C&W denominations.

Rob, can you build your own list of 20 or so C&W music recordings? ...Good ones.
- My own list above is just few artists; but the number of excellent recordings from them must be in the hundreds!
And I just quickly checked in one very tiny small part of one of my wall sections. ...And I put them into My Country music section. Country music also has some Folk/Soul heritage.

You say what you just said, but you don't bring support to what you say. :b

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dubwise Shower

For something completely different - Dub music originated in the studios of Kingston Jamaica in the early 1970's when recording engineers there began experimenting with reel to reel machines to create personally customized delay, reverb and echo effects. It had major effects on dancers in the Jamaican dancehalls, where they would have enormous sound systems. Woofers frequently measured 18-inches or more, and they had multiples of them around the dance floor.

One of the hallmarks of the Genesis loudspeaker is huge, undistorted bass, and natural for classic dub recordings. NOT audiophile by any means, but I challenge anyone not to get up and dance with one of these rhythms when they are being pumped out at volumes at which the full effect and legacy of Jamaican Dub music can be fully appreciated. This particular album is a compilation of new and traditional dub music that inspire drum and bass, and dubstep producers.

Dubwise.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm certainly not a country music maven but here are few that I enjoy and are good sounding LPs:

Johnny Cash "The Fabulous Johnny Cash" Columbia CL 1253, 1958
Jamey Johnson "That Lonestone Song" Mercury, 2008 (Voted country music LP of the decade)
Jamey Johnson ""Living For A Song: A Tribute To Hank Cochran" Mercury 2012 (one of the best LPs of 2012, but have had 'no-fill' problems on the vinyl)
Dwight Yoakam "3 Pears", Warner Bros, 2012. (Just got this and really enjoying it)

Thanks, Mark. I bought "That Lonesome Song" I think on your recommendation, and I enjoy it tremendously. Good sound and good music, and I demo'ed with it at CES last year.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
For something completely different - Dub music originated in the studios of Kingston Jamaica in the early 1970's when recording engineers there began experimenting with reel to reel machines to create personally customized delay, reverb and echo effects. It had major effects on dancers in the Jamaican dancehalls, where they would have enormous sound systems. Woofers frequently measured 18-inches or more, and they had multiples of them around the dance floor.

One of the hallmarks of the Genesis loudspeaker is huge, undistorted bass, and natural for classic dub recordings. NOT audiophile by any means, but I challenge anyone not to get up and dance with one of these rhythms when they are being pumped out at volumes at which the full effect and legacy of Jamaican Dub music can be fully appreciated. This particular album is a compilation of new and traditional dub music that inspire drum and bass, and dubstep producers.

View attachment 7115

That's so cool...Gotta find a copy of that. Gary do you have the new Jimmy Cliff LP? It's showing up on year-end 'best of' lists.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's so cool...Gotta find a copy of that. Gary do you have the new Jimmy Cliff LP? It's showing up on year-end 'best of' lists.

I've got some of his old stuff - I didn't realize that he's got a new LP out. Will have to hunt for it!! Thanks, Mark.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bop Jazz

If you are a fan of bop, this album is a must have, and it's one of the albums we will be bringing to CES.

In 1953, the New Jazz Society of Toronto contracted the early bop "giants" to play at Massey Hall. It is the only time that Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charlie Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach have ever been recorded together. On the album, Charlie Parker is identified as "charlie chan". It was a dramatic night, and the quality of the music was startling. We are all lucky that there were mics and recorders present that night.

the quintet.jpg

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you are a fan of bop, this album is a must have, and it's one of the albums we will be bringing to CES.

In 1953, the New Jazz Society of Toronto contracted the early bop "giants" to play at Massey Hall. It is the only time that Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charlie Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach have ever been recorded together. On the album, Charlie Parker is identified as "charlie chan". It was a dramatic night, and the quality of the music was startling. We are all lucky that there were mics and recorders present that night.

View attachment 7116

The recording that I have of this is poor but the music is great. It is from an European Record Label. It also has 6 additional cuts.. Not retakes additional cuts. I don't know if the sounds is any better in the version Gary mentioned.

front - Copy.jpg

Our Europeans friends may find it more convenient to get this recording used at amazon.de used for less than 2 Euros

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Rob, can you build your own list of 20 or so C&W music recordings? ...Good ones.
- My own list above is just few artists; but the number of excellent recordings from them must be in the hundreds!
And I just quickly checked in one very tiny small part of one of my wall sections. ...And I put them into My Country music section. Country music also has some Folk/Soul heritage.

You say what you just said, but you don't bring support to what you say. :b

I have a section of my music collection I call "folk/country/bluegrass" (maybe about 1000 CD's), with artists as diverse as Fairport Convention & Richard Thompson, Peter Paul & Mary, Jimmy Buffett, Alison Krauss, Railroad Earth, Emmylou Harris, MC Carpenter, David Grisman, The Seldom Scene and many others. So music (close to that genre) that I like tends to be more folk or bluegrass and less country...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing