Genesis 1.1 VS Wilson X2 Alexandria

Sort of like David and Goliath having lunch.

With slingshots or no slingshots? Seriously, once upon a time, CJ and ARC were direct tube competitors with each selling a variation upon a theme. ARC diverged from CJ once ARC started manufacturing balanced preamps and power amps. CJ has stuck resolutely to only making single-ended preamps and power amps and now there is a true distinction between their products.

Sort of like not being able to carry ARC and CJ?

Having used many ARC gears in the past and 1 CJ amp, I wouldn't think twice if a CJ unit comes my way as I liked the CJ 'house sound' then. Another friend feels the same way too.

Having used many ARC gears in the past and 1 CJ amp, I wouldn't think twice if a CJ unit comes my way as I liked the CJ 'house sound' then. Another friend feels the same way too.

As for me i prefer the look's of the AR but i prefer the CJ sound, but i could live with both no problem.

Sort of like not being able to carry ARC and CJ?

Yes but once upon a time, Lyric and Stereo Exchange carried both lines :) Now don't ask me how but I know why. Then Sound by Singer stocked cj. Now both just carry ARC and no one in Manhattan does cj to my knowledge.

Has anyone actually heard these in same room/system? Unlikely but it seems there was the one photo from Philippines which suggested owner did have both at different times in the same room/setup.

Lloyd,

Listening to both speakers in the same room/system would be a terrible mistake. Unless there was a big mismatch with both speakers and both would not sound optimal, what would sound great with one of them would not sound good with the other. IMHO, you would be comparing the synergies, not the top performance of the speakers.

One additional point is that the Genesis 1.1 should be compared with the X2 or XLF using a pair of Thor's Hammer's. After listening to the G1.1 you should have listened to Jacob Heilbrun http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/state-of-the-art-in-dc/ or Dave Wilson home systems- then you could have a fair view of different SOTA systems.

One additional point is that the Genesis 1.1 should be compared with the X2 or XLF using a pair of Thor's Hammer's.

I have heard the Martin Logan Statements and the Alexandria X-2 with the XS subwoofer, which is just about like two Thor's Hammers in the same mirror image room with the same electronics. The Martin Logan on one end and the Wilson on the other. Swiveling your chair around was all that was needed to compare them.

The Martin Logan still sounded better to me.

Why did you switch from the XS to two Gothams?

The XS is quite a machine and named quite appropriately!

With a sine wave generator and big amp, you could demolish a house.

As for me i prefer the look's of the AR but i prefer the CJ sound, but i could live with both no problem.

Nah. I bought the ref5se a few months back. Probably my most disappointing HiFi purchase. I thought it would gel well with my Dagostino amp, however my GAT blew it out of the water, balanced and single ended.

cj rules. OK :)

Nah. I bought the ref5se a few months back. Probably my most disappointing HiFi purchase. I thought it would gel well with my Dagostino amp, however my GAT blew it out of the water, balanced and single ended.

cj rules. OK :)

I also found that in my system ARC preamplifiers did not match the D'Agostino amplifier - I can not understand how some reviewers tested this combination. I hope that soon I will be able to listen to both D'Agostino's together.

I have heard the Martin Logan Statements and the Alexandria X-2 with the XS subwoofer, which is just about like two Thor's Hammers in the same mirror image room with the same electronics. The Martin Logan on one end and the Wilson on the other. Swiveling your chair around was all that was needed to compare them.

The Martin Logan still sounded better to me.

Two of the guys at my local dealer have said that personally the 2 greatest speaker experiences they have heard in their 25-30 years careers were both at the Absolute Sounds demo room:

1. ML Statements
2. Wilson X1s

Cannot remember the amplification they were using.

Two of the guys at my local dealer have said that personally the 2 greatest speaker experiences they have heard in their 25-30 years careers were both at the Absolute Sounds demo room:

1. ML Statements
2. Wilson X1s

Cannot remember the amplification they were using.

I agree regarding the ML Statements. When I found out that Genesis had closed down, and had to look for an alternative, I was considering the Statements. However, that is still a speaker with a tight sweet spot. At that time, I was determined to find a music lover to marry and have a family that would appreciate great music, so ultimately decided that it wouldn't do for me.

I agree regarding the ML Statements. When I found out that Genesis had closed down, and had to look for an alternative, I was considering the Statements. However, that is still a speaker with a tight sweet spot. At that time, I was determined to find a music lover to marry and have a family that would appreciate great music, so ultimately decided that it wouldn't do for me.

What do you think of the old Apogee Grands? In my mind, i equate Apogee Grand, ML Statements and Genesis 1.1 as speakers of a similar generation and similar "panel-tech" but with bass that 'could do it all'. Thanks for any opinions here.

What do you think of the old Apogee Grands? In my mind, i equate Apogee Grand, ML Statements and Genesis 1.1 as speakers of a similar generation and similar "panel-tech" but with bass that 'could do it all'. Thanks for any opinions here.

One of the pairs of speakers I wish I never sold was the Apogee Diva. Nothing I could afford could drive them properly without strain. I've never heard the Grands, but by the time I could afford loudspeakers of this calibre, Apogee had long gone out of business.

One of the pairs of speakers I wish I never sold was the Apogee Diva. Nothing I could afford could drive them properly without strain. I've never heard the Grands, but by the time I could afford loudspeakers of this calibre, Apogee had long gone out of business.

Interesting...Would the Gryphons or Boulders drive the Divas?

If they were like the Scintilla's, anything short of an arc welder would be merciless!

Well, the "good" news is the Apogee Grands apparently came with amps for each component...particulary the bass component which was a pair of dedicated Krells i think. So you could drive the rest of the speaker without melting your amp. There is apparently a pair on AGon from 1992...yours for only $94K!!! 1 of 7 in the world? True?

If they were like the Scintilla's, anything short of an arc welder would be merciless!

I think my KSA-250 just might be up to the task.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing