Göbel Divin Marquis

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
Understood. When I heard the Noblesse I wondered what the "right" sized room (volume) is for them. The room at AXPONA was very large (and they owned that room). My guess was 5,000 cubic feet plus to allow them to maximize their capability.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I would say that in general big speakers need space and its not a new flash for sure. I think the Noblesse which we showed in a large room at Axpona and an even larger room at RMAF really owned those areas and the space allowed the speakers to really show their capabilities.
I would have loved to have had a week or two in both rooms to fix the room anomalies and then it would have been something to hear. I have a few clients with large rooms and in those spaces you can really get a large speaker to disappear. We had a good plan for Axpona this year having been in the room the year before but as we all know that did not happen. I know it wont happen this April as well. I am beginning to wonder what the future of the audio show is.
What is the size of your room Al?

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
To be determined. Frankly, my room is planning to change. I am planning a remodel of my guest house to become a dual purpose 2 channel/HT space--with an overriding emphasis on 2 channel. (My plan is for the 2 channel and HT systems to operate with separate components.) In my house, I'm the only serious music listener. The rest of my family is into movies. In fact, I'm headed to Chicago next week to drop one son off at DePaul to start film school.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Its certainly possible to do both in one location and many preamps today have a bypass mode so they can be used in a serious 2 channel system as well as in a HT set up. I have done quite a few of these types of systems in my career. I would just suggest you get the size right h/l/w and if you are going to have more than one row of seats that the first row be the music spot and the platform , if there is one, of course be more of theater seating.
There are a bunch of different room ratios that work for a good sounding room . Good luck in your project and if I can ever be of help let me know.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Piano Black Divin Marquis in a new home being set up
2020-08-11 15.50.48.jpg

Reactions: howiebrou

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Check out the Oct. issue of Stereophile magazine arriving soon :)

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Wonder how the marquis would compare to the Sonja 2.2 and Magico m3. They are about the same price. Guessing a lot more bass impact from the marquis?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Elliot also when would you recommend the Divin line vs the Epoque line? What is different about their sound character?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Wonder how the marquis would compare to the Sonja 2.2 and Magico m3. They are about the same price. Guessing a lot more bass impact from the marquis?
Tobias,
I love the Marquis. I think it is exceptional and I don't compare it to anything. That is for you and others to do. Magico and YG are well respected companies. I am not interested in getting in to that type of battle.
The marquis is a lot of things and for me it is the best option that I have heard that gives me everything I want from a speaker.
It is expensive but not insanely priced.
It is fit and finish exceptional. Beyond any thing I have seen.
It is packed to perfection and comes with its own custom flight cases.
It can be single wire or bi-wire/bi amp whatever one chooses.
It is efficient at 92 db
it plays loud
it plays soft
it easily fills a room and it does it in such a way as to make the room disappear.
It is not hard to set up and the set up is consistent from area to area ( i am the one doing that here in the USA)
It is transparent from the very bottom to the very top- most speakers are not capable of that and in fact loose resolution and transparency in the lower frequencies. I find this annoying on most speakers I listen too.
It is fast or quick whatever word you prefer which means it is dynamic both in the micro and macro area of sound. This to me makes it sound REAL.
It is sized to fit in most rooms that people actually have available.
It doesn't need a subwoofer.
It has incredible technology that Oliver has patented.
Not everyone owns one LOL
and the most important to me I don't ever get tired of listening to them.

I think all of Olivers speakers are incredible. I am not a reviewer and would happily discuss with you the reasons for any of the product but to do that I need to talk to the person buying and find some critical information.
The Aeon line are not efficient and must be used with serious amplification while the Divin is efficient and can be used with a wider group of amps.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot also when would you recommend the Divin line vs the Epoque line? What is different about their sound character?
one last thing. If you come here and listen I would bet that if you can you would buy them!

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
one last thing. If you come here and listen I would bet that if you can you would buy them!

Possibly true. What I like about his design is the use of big bass drivers. Especially in the Majestic model. You don't see many speakers with 18 inch bass drivers! Most would be too scared of being slow but I bet Oliver has solved the speed problem and with such size would produce a level of low frequency extension few speakers could match.

Reactions: howiebrou

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Possibly true. What I like about his design is the use of big bass drivers. Especially in the Majestic model. You don't see many speakers with 18 inch bass drivers! Most would be too scared of being slow but I bet Oliver has solved the speed problem and with such size would produce a level of low frequency extension few speakers could match.
I have heard very good things about the big Majestic. I like the idea of a big, super efficient speaker that can move a lot of air...and yet strives to be nuanced and low-noise at the same time.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I have heard very good things about the big Majestic. I like the idea of a big, super efficient speaker that can move a lot of air...and yet strives to be nuanced and low-noise at the same time.

Definitely a tube lovers dream.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
there is nothing slow about any of the Divin Speakers....

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
If i had to buy a Gobel speaker i will have big problems because i like a lot both and i listen both,Divin Noblesse and Aeon Reference in his room
I like Divine because has 95 db efficiency and sound come out easily,big powerfull and sound very very well,
but also i love his flat driver from 170 to 31.000 hz,and the sound is homogeneous and natural

Big problem to choose

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
If i had to buy a Gobel speaker i will have big problems because i like a lot both and i listen both,Divin Noblesse and Aeon Reference in his room
I like Divine because has 95 db efficiency and sound come out easily,big powerfull and sound very very well,
but also i love his flat driver from 170 to 31.000 hz,and the sound is homogeneous and natural

Big problem to choose
Life always has choices and here the choice somewhat depends on your musical taste and your room and gear. I own all of them and can choose what I prefer. My musical taste is varied however I only have one soundroom so I need to choose what works best in that space. I can only say this. Those who have not heard the Marquis will be extremely surprised at what it can do. It will work with all kinds of amps and reasonable size rooms. You have monster amps so you can get an Aeon Reference or a Divin Noblesse or Marquis most people don't. I have clients that love Aeon and those who love Divin. I see no real problem there is no wrong answer. Oliver knows what he is doing and has a tremendous knowledge on science and music. Sports car or luxury sedan? neither is wrong lol

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Life always has choices and here the choice somewhat depends on your musical taste and your room and gear. I own all of them and can choose what I prefer. My musical taste is varied however I only have one soundroom so I need to choose what works best in that space. I can only say this. Those who have not heard the Marquis will be extremely surprised at what it can do. It will work with all kinds of amps and reasonable size rooms. You have monster amps so you can get an Aeon Reference or a Divin Noblesse or Marquis most people don't. I have clients that love Aeon and those who love Divin. I see no real problem there is no wrong answer. Oliver knows what he is doing and has a tremendous knowledge on science and music. Sports car or luxury sedan? neither is wrong lol

So the Divin is a sports car and Aeon is luxury?

I am guessing the Divin is more powerdynamic and powerful whereas the aeon is more open and resolving?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

NO i am just using that as an analogy. They are different and both exceptional. A person who for example wants a Ferrari may not want a Rolls and visa versa it doesnt mean one is better just different in what they respond too. You need to listen Tobias instead of just asking , chooose what you prefer since there is no wrong choice there

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Göbel High End - Patented Loudspeakers & Cables made in Germany

Page Liked · 8 hrs ·

Göbel High End - Patented Loudspeakers & Cables made in Germany

Page Liked · 8 hrs ·

John Atkinson, the worldwide renown reviewer and technical editor of the audiophile magazine stereophile wrote an awesome review about our Divin Marquis loudspeakers which is published as the front cover review in the October 2020 issue of the stereophile magazine. Many thanks John for this great review. We appreciate a lot.

Here are a few statements out of this review from John Atkinson:

- "The deep organ notes at the climax of Philip Ledger’s performance of Franck’s Chorale No.3 in A minor (24/192 AIFF needle drop from Organ Music from King’s College, HMV HQS 1356) were reproduced with seemingly limitless power."

- "The Göbel loudspeakers were chameleons. They sounded small when appropriate, as with Chris Thile’s transcriptions for mandolin of Bach’s Sonatas and Partitas for Violin, Vol.1 (16/44.1 AIFF, Nonesuch 5353602) but massively powerful when the recording called for it, as with Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way” (24/192 AIFF needle drop from a 12" 45rpm single, ABC ABE 12002)."

- "My ears frazzled by giving in to the temptation to play Joe Walsh as loud as the Göbels would allow without strain."

- ... "the lowest notes were nicely fleshed out by the Göbels but without any boom: There was no indication that these are big loudspeakers with big woofers."

- "But it was the unexpectedly delicate way in which these speakers got right the country-dance character of the third movement, the bassoon punctuations in particular, that impressed."

- "And the glorious restatement of that I-vi-IV-V chord sequence — so overused since Beethoven’s time — at the end of the finale rocked my world on the Göbel speakers."

- "Full range, low distortion, no coloration: The thoroughbred performance of the Divin Marquis confirms that Göbel High End presents serious competition to the Wilsons, Magicos, Rockports, Tidals, von Schweikerts, and YG Acousticses of the cost-no-object loudspeaker world."

But please don't forget, the Divin Marquis is the entry model of our Divin series!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Dirk Sommer, the worldwide renown chief editor of the audiophile magazine hifistatement.net wrote a raving review about our Epoque Aeon Fine loudspeakers. He was so impressed, that after the review he bought the Epoque Aeon Fine loudspeakers for his auditing system!
As the review is in German language, we translated a few of his statements in English language:
- "The transient playback makes the Göbels unparalleled to me."
- "... the homogeneity of the reproduction and the expansion and plasticity of the spatial representation are outstanding."
- "... especially the ability to reproduce transients, almost like real instruments, fascinates me about the bending wave loudspeaker in combination with the fast, small bass drivers."
- "I have now lived with the Göbel High End Epoque Aeon Fine for over a year and a half and have learned to appreciate it so much as a work tool and as a luxury item that I don't want to part with it anymore and bought it a few months ago!"
- "A real dream loudspeaker!"
Under the following link, you will find the complete review:
https://www.hifistatement.net/…/2857-goebel-high-end-epoque…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing