Furutech GTX-D Rhodium NCF Outlet

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I had put a night light in my receptacles for a few weeks after installation just to keep AC flowing for a while. I can't personally say I ever heard this short of major shifting in sound. But, either way, I'd still suggest mikey let it be for a few weeks and just listen. Recovering warmthaholics can take some time to adjust. :p

mikey8811

Dec 24, 2014
None at all. The way many things burn-in... which tends to follow a more exponential curve... meaning you get a large improvement quickly then it tapers off but still improves more gradually for a longer time... has some explanations that are known. This back and forth thing the GTX rhodium receptacles do is bizarre and confusing to me to be honest.

The switch from sounding closed-in to normal may only take seconds but if it happens when you're paying attention it's very obvious. I've brought a modded SurgeX to a potential customer's system for a demo and during the course of the afternoon it changed a couple times, both times the owner of the system heard it and commented on it.

Thanks for confirming this. I was puzzled too.

Perhaps closed-in is not an appropriate descriptor on my part but it did seem that way to me. A better way to describe it may be that there were more highs and while they initially impress with greater detail, they seem pinched and forced rather than effortless which is why I described it as not sounding open.

I have heard systems with more highs and they flow naturally and sound unforced - sonorous, I guess. This wasn't what I heard with the GTX D Rhodium NCF's as the highs were dry, slightly hard and bright - I felt some discomfort, more a feeling than analysing the sound. Perhaps, it's me not being used to the additional detail but I don't think so.

I do not recall the burn in with the GTX D Gold being as torturous.

I have switched the digital sources to the Maestro now and put the preamp and power amp on both outlets of the NCF. Presumably they have a higher current draw and will hasten the process via listening.

Bazelio, I won't quit on them - I'll leave them running for a couple of weeks at least.

Reactions: mantis007

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I previously strongly preferred the Furutech GTX-D gold outlet over the rhodium version. I haven't tried the rhodium NCF outlet although changed the outlet covers to the NCF versions - speaking of which, have you seen there's a new NCF version of the outlet cover, the 105.1-D NCF cover? I'm kind of peeved seeing as I changed to the 105D NCF in the spring. Anyone know the difference?

Looking forward to a gold version of NCF that was rumored, somewhere.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I previously strongly preferred the Furutech GTX-D gold outlet over the rhodium version. I haven't tried the rhodium NCF outlet although changed the outlet covers to the NCF versions - speaking of which, have you seen there's a new NCF version of the outlet cover, the 105.1-D NCF cover? I'm kind of peeved seeing as I changed to the 105D NCF in the spring. Anyone know the difference?

Looking forward to a gold version of NCF that was rumored, somewhere.

I'm certainly no stranger to exploring various AC outlets.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23376-Fun-with-Metallurgy&highlight=metallurgy (see post#4; these are just one set of matched pairs, each with 30 or 40 amp dedicated lines that drives my Soulution monobloc amps and JL Gotham subs).

As many know, I am not fond of rhodium outlets or rhodium terminations on interconnects, and while I prefer the top end of the GTX-D gold AC receptacles, I agree they do have a slightly warm midrange coloration and sluggish low end. The Oyaide R1 connectors had a lovely top end, but was not the last word in bass definition. Therefore I keep returning to good old copper/brass AC outlets such as the Shunyta CopperCONNS or the plain jane-but fine sounding- Hubbell 8200 but keep wondering, what else is out there that might be superior?

Recently I've been exploring Stealth Silver AC sockets for AC power to my amps.
http://stealthaudioelectronics.com/silver-socket/

There are as many audiophile opinions on silver as there are applications for its use. I've avoided silver for a long time based on bad experiences from silver coated copper wires in the past. But there are plenty of audiophiles who think highly of silver wires when used in certain applications, for example, tonearm wiring. In addition, some cable companies such as Synergistic Research also use pure silver in their interconnects to favorable reviews. There are several good reasons to consider silver. First, the conductivity of silver is unquestioned. In addition, one of its most attractive properties is that, like gold and copper, silver is a dimagnetic metal (i.e. not attracted to magnetic fields due to having unpaired electrons in their outermost orbit, unlike paramagnetic metals such as rhodium, platinum, palladium etc.) But let's skip the metallurgy mumbo jumbo. Do silver AC receptacles sound good? It's still an experiment in progress, but so far, I'm encouraged.

Break-in took about 5-7 days and followed a typical pattern; day 1 was decent, degrading to horrible sound by day 3, with recovery largely occurring by day 5. The tell-tale sign that break-in is complete is when the bass “comes in”, which occurs last and in this case, was complete by day 7. And believe me, with Soulution 511 monoblocs, you will have no doubt about hearing when the bass comes in.

Sonically, I’m impressed. The biggest audible difference occurred in an area I didn’t anticipate- a marked reduction of harshness and glare on loud dynamic passages. There was a smoothness and linearity to the sound that eluded me with all the previous AC outlets I’ve tried in my “lab”. I might also agree that a bit of haze seemed removed in general- the so called “more open window” effect, but I need to validate this further by switching back to my control outlets.

Is the benefit of the Stealth outlet simply due to a modest ~2.85x increase (vs. brass) in conductivity with the silver outlet? Is it due to the fact that silver is dimagnetic as opposed to paramagnetic nickel flashed over copper? Was it a lack of “battery effect” from using pure silver vs other outlets which use plating of dissimilar metals? All of the above? I honestly have no idea but I like what I heard and thus I am now prompted to continue the “silverization” experiment to its logical conclusion. If changing one receptacle in the AC pathway to silver was beneficial, it seems to me changing the AC male prong and the IEC connector of my power cord would be equally advantageous so will likely pursue some additional "silverization" with silver AC plugs and IEC connectors if things remain positive with further listening. As I've said before, it's not just a composition of a single AC connector or plug that's important. It's what you are connecting it to that matters just as much, if not more. And of course, what might sound good with my Tara Cobalt AC cables with highly specified ancillary gear, just might not sound good with another brand of AC cables or other ancillary gear. We shall see.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm certainly no stranger to exploring various AC outlets.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23376-Fun-with-Metallurgy&highlight=metallurgy (see post#4; these are just one set of matched pairs, each with 30 or 40 amp dedicated lines that drives my Soulution monobloc amps and JL Gotham subs).
As many know, I am not fond of rhodium outlets or rhodium terminations on interconnects, and while I prefer the top end of the GTX-D gold AC receptacles, I agree they do have a slightly warm midrange coloration and sluggish low end. The Oyaide R1 connectors had a lovely top end, but was not the last work in bass definition. Therefore I keep returning to good old copper/brass AC outlets such as the Shunyta CopperCONNS or the plain jane-but fine sounding- Hubbell 8200 but keep wondering, what else is out there that might be superior?
Recently I've been exploring Stealth Silver AC sockets for AC power to my amps.
http://stealthaudioelectronics.com/silver-socket/
There are as many audiophile opinions on silver as there are applications for its use. I've avoided silver for a long time based on bad experiences from silver coated copper wires in the past. But there are plenty of audiophiles who think highly of silver wires when used in certain applications, for example, tonearm wiring. In addition, some cable companies such as Synergistic Research also use pure silver in their interconnects to favorable reviews. There are several good reasons to consider silver. First, the conductivity of silver is unquestioned. In addition, one of its most attractive properties is that, like gold and copper, silver is a dimagnetic metal (i.e. not attracted to magnetic fields due to having unpaired electrons in their outermost orbit, unlike paramagnetic metals such as rhodium, platinum, palladium etc.) But let's skip the metallurgy mumbo jumbo. Do silver AC receptacles sound good? It's still an experiment in progress, but so far, I'm encouraged.
Break-in took about 5-7 days and followed a typical pattern; day 1 was decent, degrading to horrible sound by day 3, with recovery largely occurring by day 5. The tell-tale sign that break-in is complete is when the bass “comes in”, which occurs last and in this case, was complete by day 7. And believe me, with Soulution 511 monoblocs, you will have no doubt about hearing when the bass comes in.
Sonically, I’m impressed. The biggest audible difference occurred in an area I didn’t anticipate- a marked reduction of harshness and glare on loud dynamic passages. There was a smoothness and linearity to the sound that eluded me with all the previous AC outlets I’ve tried in my “lab”. I might also agree that a bit of haze seemed removed in general- the so called “more open window” effect, but I need to validate this further by switching back to my control outlets.
Is the benefit of the Stealth outlet simply due to a modest ~2.85x increase (vs. brass) in conductivity with the silver outlet? Is it due to the fact that silver is dimagnetic as opposed to paramagnetic nickel flashed over copper? Was it a lack of “battery effect” from using pure silver vs other outlets which use plating of dissimilar metals? All of the above? I honestly have no idea but I like what I heard and thus I am now prompted to continue the “silverization” experiment to its logical conclusion. If changing one receptacle in the AC pathway to silver was beneficial, it seems to me changing the AC male prong and the IEC connector of my power cord would be equally advantageous so will likely pursue some additional "silverization" with silver AC plugs and IEC connectors if things remain positive with further listening. As I've said before, it's not just a composition of a single AC connector or plug that's important. It's what you are connecting it to that matters just as much, if not more. And of course, what might sound good with my Tara Cobalt AC cables with highly specified ancillary gear, just might not sound good with another brand of AC cables or other ancillary gear. We shall see.

Thanks Marty for the review!

Where is this Stealth Silver AC sockets available?
HiFi stores or webshops?

BTW although the company is also in Maryland (www.stealthaudioelectronics.com/silver-socket/), is this manufacturer diff from the Stealth Audio Cables (www.stealthaudiocables.com/)?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thanks Marty for the review!

Where is this Stealth Silver AC sockets available?
HiFi stores or webshops?

BTW although the company is also in Maryland (www.stealthaudioelectronics.com/silver-socket/), is this manufacturer diff from the Stealth Audio Cables (www.stealthaudiocables.com/)?

The AC Silver outlets appear to be made by the same company as the one who manufactures cables. They are probably available from their dealers or directly from the factory. I don't know if they have dealers in Hong Kong but you can surely email them and ask. Their contact info is:
Stealth Audio
7609 Airpark Road, Unit “D”, Gaithersburg, MD USA 20879
Phone: (Serguei) +1-301-213-8110
Phone: (Alex) +1-650-576-7617
stealthaudio@icloud.com

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Marty : Thanks again!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Marty,
Did you buy the Stealth Silver wallsockets directly from the company?

I just asked the Stealth Cables dealer in Hong Kong. The wallsocket is not available yet.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Bocchino now also offer a USA wall socket. Although I haven’t yet tried this, their ac plugs are simply the best I have heard by a country mile, so I would expect it to be a contender. People should also try upgrade the iec inlet in their equipment as most aftermarket options are much better sounding than the generic ones many manufacturers use.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Bocchino now also offer a USA wall socket. Although I haven’t yet tried this, their ac plugs are simply the best I have heard by a country mile, so I would expect it to be a contender. People should also try upgrade the iec inlet in their equipment as most aftermarket options are much better sounding than the generic ones many manufacturers use.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the info.

Ant photos of it to share?

CK

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Hi Peter, Carmine only just phoned me 15 mins ago and I could have asked him but has likely gone off to bed now given the Aussie time zone. Will email him to provide further details later for forum members.

mikey8811

Dec 24, 2014
CK if you are in HK have you tried the Sine outlets?

Are they worth considering? What are you currently using?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK if you are in HK have you tried the Sine outlets?
Are they worth considering? What are you currently using?

I don't have any experience on SINE products but my friends in HK say that as mid-price products, they have good c/p ratios.
I myself are using mainly Furutech NCF and Oyaide R1 for my audio system.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

There seem to be 3 main players in the world of top end silver connectors for audio (XLR, RCA and outlets).
Two of these are surprisingly, Australian. Both Bocchino and ETI Research both use silver plated copper.
http://www.eti-research.com.au/kryo-xlr-connector/
http://www.bocchtech.com/bocchinoaudio/baxlr.htm

However, only Stealth offers solid silver connectors and outlets, and naturally claims they are superior to silver plated copper. Or as Serguei Timachev told me "If Bocchino (or anyone else’s) RCAs and/or XLR connectors (and spade lugs) were good enough, we would have simply used them with our cables, instead of going into the great troubles of designing and making our own."

I've got some Bocchino XLRs on order and have the ETI research XLRs in house ready to try on my Masterbuilt Ultra interconnects. (BTW, The founder of ETI research is the guy who made the famous Eichmann bullet silver connectors widely used for tone-arm cable).

I honestly have no idea which one of these 3 is "the best" (if there is such a thing). But I know this. I am currently on Sablon Square in Brussels and can tell you that as a result of some guidance by my Belgian hosts, the best chocolate here is made by Pierre Marcolini (which can't be bought outside of Belgium). It's funny to see that the Belgians look upon other pretenders such as Godiva, Leonidas, Neuhaus and most others with the same disparagement that audiophiles have when they look down on Bose!

Meanwhile, no money for audio for a while. I've got a damn suitcase full of Marcolini chocolate to take home instead!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I am currently on Sablon Square in Brussels and can tell you that as a result of some guidance by my Belgian hosts, the best chocolate here is made by Pierre Marcolini (which can't be bought outside of Belgium). (...)

The dispute on the best Belgian chocolate is even more bustling than audiophile choices! BTW, I have bought Pierre Marcolini more than once at less in Paris and London. Really delicious ...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Marty,
Pierre Marcolini is one of my favourites too!

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I honestly have no idea which one of these 3 is "the best" (if there is such a thing). But I know this. I am currently on Sablon Square in Brussels and can tell you that as a result of some guidance by my Belgian hosts, the best chocolate here is made by Pierre Marcolini (which can't be bought outside of Belgium). It's funny to see that the Belgians look upon other pretenders such as Godiva, Leonidas, Neuhaus and most others with the same disparagement that audiophiles have when they look down on Bose!

Meanwhile, no money for audio for a while. I've got a damn suitcase full of Marcolini chocolate to take home instead!

Welcome to my home town. Try also Mary. The main shop is on Rue Royale nearby the Column of Congress. Ther is another one located in Lombard Street and a third one in the Royal Gallery.

And if you have time for a beer, just let me know.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I am currently on Sablon Square in Brussels

A great place to be Marty! If you happen to enjoy seafood and have some time left, then Le Scheltema off Rue des Bouchers is a great choice. Alternatively Aux Armes de Bruxelles just around the corner does great traditional fare and a memorably theatrical crepe flambe with flames leaping to the ceiling.

Btw another manufacturer of solid silver mains plugs is Iego.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
A great place to be Marty! If you happen to enjoy seafood and have some time left, then Le Scheltema off Rue des Bouchers is a great choice. Alternatively Aux Armes de Bruxelles just around the corner does great traditional fare and a memorably theatrical crepe flambe with flames leaping to the ceiling.

Btw another manufacturer of solid silver mains plugs is Iego.

Aux Armes de Bruxelles is currently closed. Following several years of donwhill management and a bankrutpcy, a new owner is now on board (the same family that runs Leon). It will reopen next week on October 11th. La Taverne du Passage and L’ogenblik are two good alternatives. La Belle Maraîchère is also a good seafood place.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Oh that is a shame! Have eaten at Taverne du Passage previously and the moules were excellent. Thanks for putting the other two restaurants onto my radar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing