Following Steve W

DavidinSF

Sep 28, 2013
So I finally took the plunge and followed Steve to a lamm ml2.1 and Alexandria series 2. But my room is about Steve's new room and looking for acoustic advice. I live in the Bay Area - is there someone who could help? I noticed the person Steve hire is based in NY. I wonder if she would take sf clients. I use Ayer kxr for pre and oppo 105 for source. Experimenting with new sources including going back to TT.

Congratulations!

Keith Yates lives nearby (Sacramento?). PM me with your email address if you like me to introduce you to him.

Why not try the Oppo-based Ayre for source, while you are considering others?

So I finally took the plunge and followed Steve to a lamm ml2.1 and Alexandria series 2. But my room is about Steve's new room and looking for acoustic advice. I live in the Bay Area - is there someone who could help? I noticed the person Steve hire is based in NY. I wonder if she would take sf clients. I use Ayer kxr for pre and oppo 105 for source. Experimenting with new sources including going back to TT.

Of course she will take SF clients

PM me and we can talk

Now you just need the ML3/LL1 Signature and we have the same system ;)

Welcome to WBF

Congrats...I understand that is surely one of those 'true magic' combinations of already world-class individual components. Congrats and enjoy! Look forward to reading your thoughts on them...and also on your choices for sources when that time comes.

Congrats...I understand that is surely one of those 'true magic' combinations of already world-class individual components. Congrats and enjoy! Look forward to reading your thoughts on them...and also on your choices for sources when that time comes.

Hi David

I sent you a PM with my contact info

If you indeed have a smaller room like I have then it would be in your best interests to fly down to SoCal for a day. I can pick you up at John Wayne Airport. I live 20 minutes south of the airport. I can show you everything i did in my room and then we can listen. It will be fun to hear your comments about the ML3 vs the ML 2.1 (which BTW I owned before the ML3/LL1 combo)

Congratulations, you did good there. My wife and I just visited Steve on Saturday, and it was a special treat. Warm, romantic, and totally magical. After we left, she couldn't stop talking about the tape! Now, she also wants me to install a starfield generator :D I think that's part of the experience, to be transported away to another time and space. To lose yourself to music. You might never want to leave the room!

Tell me about it. Thanks to Steve's evil influence, I'm ordering a pair of CS 1000 RGBs for my listening room! All for the price of a pair of my interconnects! LOL!

Tell me about it. Thanks to Steve's evil influence, I'm ordering a pair of CS 1000 RGBs for my listening room! All for the price of a pair of my interconnects! LOL!

Yep - it might turn out to be an expensive visit for me!

Gary

It was both a privilege and an honor to host both you and your beautiful wife. She's got it right when it comes to R2R. I can also tell you where to get those laser lights if you're interested.

I couldn't stop playing all the great music you left with me. Thanks again

Couple of thoughts before you get to building a room. First, was your Lamm freshly retubed? If not, you should do so- you can order the full complement from Vlad. You will need a Fluke meter to check bias on the amps regularly, but mine (the original ML2) has been pretty bulletproof and is a wonderfully musical amp.
You can also roll the 12Ax7 tube with a NOS ribbed plate Tele- not necessary, but some like the sound over the stock tube.
You might also consider having someone help you set up the system in your existing room before you start on extensive treatments. I know some folks here have used Jim Smith with great success. I'm sure others who use the Lamms with Wilson speakers will have more to contribute on cable synergy- I have used the Kubala cable with great success, but I don't have Wilson speakers.
Good luck!

I agree about the tube rolling and as I have said here many times the only tubes I roll are my amplifier 12AX7 using the Holy Grail NOS Tele ECC803S and my Doshi tape preamp 12AT7 where I have a matched quad of the fabled NOS Telefunken ECC801S.

I must admit however that Nick turned me onto a tube made by Tesla which is allegedly identical to my ECC803S and just gives me goose bumps......I can't seem to go back to my ECC803S

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=207241&viewfull=1#post207241

I agree about the tube rolling and as I have said here many times the only tubes I roll are my amplifier 12AX7 using the Holy Grail NOS Tele ECC803S and my Doshi tape preamp 12AT7 where I have a matched quad of the fabled NOS Telefunken ECC801S.

I must admit however that Nick turned me onto a tube made by Tesla which is allegedly identical to my ECC803S and just gives me goose bumps......I can't seem to go back to my ECC803S

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=207241&viewfull=1#post207241
Just read thru the link, thanks, the price of the Teles has gone thru the roof. I paid nothing for them back in the 80's, when I was retubing my old ARC preamp. I still have an old pair that came with the Lamms that have the red/green painted tips- you know the ones that were allegedly picked for medical gear. I suspect those are too easy to counterfeit these days...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing