Field Coils for Audio Systems

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I've been trained by Audiogon to only provide links... here's an image of his field coil motors to entice link clicking:

View attachment 79448

I was telling Marc to consider these. Only issue with them is slightly lower sensitivity than some other full range drivers.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I can also confirm that John uses JBL for his FC operation. I spoke to him about Hartsfield reproductions a few months ago.
I would love to hear those Hartsfield reproductions as well. The originals with supertweeter sound fantastic and I like horn bass better than any kind of vented box.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
He
I would love to hear those Hartsfield reproductions as well. The originals with supertweeter sound fantastic and I like horn bass better than any kind of vented box.
actually uses a field coil 18" JBL in the Hartsfield. I think it could be quite special.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
He

actually uses a field coil 18" JBL in the Hartsfield. I think it could be quite special.
The original was a 15 inch driver, wasn't it?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've never seen an Altec that didn't use Alnico

Sorry I don't know where the word pre came from in my text, must have been some autocorrect. Edited.

Btw they did use field coil on early Altec 284 And on the 515 woofer

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
DC634931-54FE-48E0-A9EB-8611586849E2.jpeg

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Field Coils are another element that add complexity and cost.

Just trying to imagine a Field Coil version of the Wilson Wamm, requiring 16 power supplies.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
My reason was not just regulation but induction interactions based on varying frequencies. even harmonic noise back into psu. Like diodes do to power supply transformer.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Field Coils are another element that add complexity and cost.

Just trying to imagine a Field Coil version of the Wilson Wamm, requiring 16 power supplies.
I don’t know enough to say it’s better , and I agree more complex. I think horns have the need based on a nostalgic look

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My new motors are ready for shipping hopefully tomorrow. It took a little extra time as I had some custom thread made on the permendur pole so I can use any manner of phase plug that I make depending which driver I use.

04F1DB75-8A57-4EAE-8B47-5C4854A9475C.jpeg

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
My reason was not just regulation but induction interactions based on varying frequencies. even harmonic noise back into psu.
If the power supply is properly regulated this is no concern at all.

I think horns have the need based on a nostalgic look
Horns and high efficiency are about a lot more than just nostalgia! Controlled directivity is really helpful in smaller spaces like a living room (less short delay reflection problems with side walls means a smoother sound as the ear interprets short delay times as harshness) and high efficiency in general is paramount to keeping distortion down in all amplifiers. Efficiency is helpful to prevent thermal compression which is problematic of all lower efficiency loudspeakers. Put another way if you want to experience the actual dynamic contrast in any recording (especially if bass notes are involved) then you need high efficiency.

Computer optimization has made it possible to rid horns of artifact.

You do run into other issues, such as noise floor but they can be dealt with.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
My new motors are ready for shipping hopefully tomorrow. It took a little extra time as I had some custom thread made on the permendur pole so I can use any manner of phase plug that I make depending which driver I use.

View attachment 79471
What a fun tool Bill. Can't wait to hear about the comparisons. Congrats!

P.S. You are certainly much more skilled than I, but the thought of removing the permanent magnets from your AER drivers gives me nightmares.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What a fun tool Bill. Can't wait to hear about the comparisons. Congrats!

P.S. You are certainly much more skilled than I, but the thought of removing the permanent magnets from your AER drivers gives me nightmares.

Ha. Already done it before but yet I took a few deep breaths due to the cost of those BD4s :p

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing