Field Coils for Audio Systems

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Thanks for your informative post!

I really have to try some Tungar supplies.
You are welcome. I think they would satisfy any music lover.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Some additional updates. I was able to spend some time configuring more audio components and doing some test spins. I had to get longer IC's between the amps and preamp so I purchased 16-foot Shunyata Sigma's and a pair Mogami Platinum. The Mogami's for testing. The original IC's I had been using were custom made Tempo Electric pure silver 16-gauge wire with silver WBT's. The new cables all have XLR connections. I figured for the longer distance; It might be better using XLR. I am still going to order another set of the Tempo Electric ICs with the same WBT connectors. You know, for experimentation, LOL.

Now, for the sound impressions. With the new cables in place, I did not think I could provide an accurate overview of the new Tungar power supplies, due to that dreaded break in period, so I went back and forth between the Shunyata Sigma's and the old Tempo Electric. This was a lot of work as I had to move the amps to the left every time I used the Tempo cables while testing the Tungar's. I know my system well, despite the new room, and sub optimal room treatments for now, my familiarity with the system was there in spades, and the Tungar's imparted a naturalness to the music, a more at ease display of the musical spectrum, but the at the same time seeming more lifelike. I went back and forth between the two cables, never touching the Mogami's because these were both great cables. I fell in love with the music all over again. The enchantment, the holographic portrayal of the acoustic space of the venue and liquidity of the voices just causes one to be mesmerized. The Tungar's added more to these elements that I describe, because again, I know my system. No matter what cable I used, my recollection of the previous field coil power supplies prior to using the Tungar's was not quite as enchanting as I am describing now, although they were still good. I think the Classic Audio Loudspeaker Tungar power supplies are something that one gets when their system is highly optimized or wants to maximize their speaker system. Either way, it is part of one's rationalization in the decision-making process.

Compared to my previous room and with the previous power supplies, the Tungar's also seemed to make the music more dynamic as well but in an easy way. I guess this might be something like Neo in the Matrix, very fast but fluid and deliberate movements which seemed to be at ease compared to the hyper moves of agent Smith. The original power supplies satisfied my musical needs for several years and if I had never demoed the Tungar's on my system, I would have not known what extra capabilities my speaker/system had with regards to music playback. The Tungar's bring out and enhance musical connections that one might not know are missing. Ignorance is bliss some say. Bass notes seems to have more depth and realism compared to the other power supplies...bass flows more effortlessly. Not a smack you in the face type of bass or boom note, but a natural and rich bass tone which makes you want to home in on what instrument is playing. The upper tones, especially the mids seem to me to be the most audible difference. That difference is the way in which the voices seem to just emanate from a given space or when instruments have that extra overtone and resonance adding to the realism. Wood thwacks and guitar picking really shine here with these power supplies.

Some of the music selected was mix of Fleetwood Mac, Dream LP, Al Dimeola Friday Night in San Francisco, Santana, Black Magic Women, Miles Davis Sketches of Spain, and James Bond Theme music. The last record I played was an original pressing of Richard Wagner Siegfreid recorded live at the 1955 Bayreuth Festival. Wow!! The vocals and instruments are a command performance. I never really listened to this type of music before. Now, it enthralls me and with the Tungar's, the ambience of the venue can be heard as well as felt, yes, I play loud. The Tungar's brought this type of music to life. I know the other power supplies would be great as well, but as I stated, the Tungar's are what you use to achieve the best from your system. Sometimes it is a subtle difference, other times not so.

For years, the standard power supply has been an effective part of the Classic Audio Loudspeaker field coil speaker magnet solution. I truly believe these refined Tungar power supplies are worth the effort to add to one's system if they want to optimize the musical qualities of their field coil speaker. I am firmly in the camp that believes additive and incremental improvements enhance the overall enjoyment of listening to music. My motto is named so, audioquest4life = the pursuit of musical enjoyment forever. Both the dog and I were exhausted after setting up and testing various times. He wanted to chill out while I was working, and he was waiting anxiously to listen to music and move to the comfortable theater seats. I can't wait to play Animals LP from Pink Floyd and listen to the track "Dogs" to see how he reacts in this room. He barked the last time I played it in the other house. I will find the time soon to install my other tonearms and luxury cartridges on the bigger turntable. Can't wait to hear what that will sound like. Record room is nearly complete. View attachment 119198 View attachment 119199 View attachment 119200 View attachment 119202 View attachment 119203
Many thanks for sharing your experience. My findings with the Classic Audio tungar supplies are similar to yours. The first thing I noticed was how plucked bass seemed to have more of the "elastic" feel. I think this is due to hearing more of the resonance of the string after it has been plucked, which was missing before. The three dimensionality of voice and string instruments also stood out with a more life-like illusion. Overall, I am very happy with the decision to take the plunge, given the expense and the space requirement.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Some additional updates. I was able to spend some time configuring more audio components and doing some test spins. I had to get longer IC's between the amps and preamp so I purchased 16-foot Shunyata Sigma's and a pair Mogami Platinum. The Mogami's for testing. The original IC's I had been using were custom made Tempo Electric pure silver 16-gauge wire with silver WBT's. The new cables all have XLR connections. I figured for the longer distance; It might be better using XLR. I am still going to order another set of the Tempo Electric ICs with the same WBT connectors. You know, for experimentation, LOL.

Now, for the sound impressions. With the new cables in place, I did not think I could provide an accurate overview of the new Tungar power supplies, due to that dreaded break in period, so I went back and forth between the Shunyata Sigma's and the old Tempo Electric. This was a lot of work as I had to move the amps to the left every time I used the Tempo cables while testing the Tungar's. I know my system well, despite the new room, and sub optimal room treatments for now, my familiarity with the system was there in spades, and the Tungar's imparted a naturalness to the music, a more at ease display of the musical spectrum, but at the same time seeming more lifelike. I went back and forth between the two cables, never touching the Mogami's because these were both great cables. I fell in love with the music all over again. The enchantment, the holographic portrayal of the acoustic space of the venue and liquidity of the voices just causes one to be mesmerized. The Tungar's added more to these elements that I describe, because again, I know my system. No matter what cable I used, my recollection of the previous field coil power supplies prior to using the Tungar's was not quite as enchanting as I am describing now, although they were still good. I think the Classic Audio Loudspeaker Tungar power supplies are something that one gets when their system is highly optimized or wants to maximize their speaker system. Either way, it is part of one's rationalization in the decision-making process.

Compared to my previous room and with the previous power supplies, the Tungar's also seemed to make the music more dynamic as well but in an easy way. I guess this might be something like Neo in the Matrix, very fast but fluid and deliberate movements which seemed to be at ease compared to the hyper moves of agent Smith. The original power supplies satisfied my musical needs for several years and if I had never demoed the Tungar's on my system, I would have not known what extra capabilities my speaker/system had with regards to music playback. The Tungar's bring out and enhance musical connections that one might not know are missing. Ignorance is bliss some say. Bass notes seems to have more depth and realism compared to the other power supplies...bass flows more effortlessly. Not a smack you in the face type of bass or boom note, but a natural and rich bass tone which makes you want to home in on what instrument is playing. The upper tones, especially the mids seem to me to be the most audible difference. That difference is the way in which the voices seem to just emanate from a given space or when instruments have that extra overtone and resonance adding to the realism. Wood thwacks and guitar picking really shine here with these power supplies.

Some of the music selected was mix of Fleetwood Mac, Dream LP, Al Dimeola Friday Night in San Francisco, Santana, Black Magic Women, Miles Davis Sketches of Spain, and James Bond Theme music. The last record I played was an original pressing of Richard Wagner Siegfreid recorded live at the 1955 Bayreuth Festival. Wow!! The vocals and instruments are a command performance. I never really listened to this type of music before. Now, it enthralls me and with the Tungar's, the ambience of the venue can be heard as well as felt, yes, I play loud. The Tungar's brought this type of music to life. I know the other power supplies would be great as well, but as I stated, the Tungar's are what you use to achieve the best from your system. Sometimes it is a subtle difference, other times not so.

For years, the standard power supply has been an effective part of the Classic Audio Loudspeaker field coil speaker magnet solution. I truly believe these refined Tungar power supplies are worth the effort to add to one's system if they want to optimize the musical qualities of their field coil speaker. I am firmly in the camp that believes additive and incremental improvements enhance the overall enjoyment of listening to music. My motto is named so, audioquest4life = the pursuit of musical enjoyment forever. Both the dog and I were exhausted after setting up and testing various times. He wanted to chill out while I was working, and he was waiting anxiously to listen to music and move to the comfortable theater seats. I can't wait to play Animals LP from Pink Floyd and listen to the track "Dogs" to see how he reacts in this room. He barked the last time I played it in the other house. I will find the time soon to install my other tonearms and luxury cartridges on the bigger turntable. Can't wait to hear what that will sound like. Record room is nearly complete. View attachment 119198 View attachment 119199 View attachment 119200 View attachment 119202 View attachment 119203
Congratulations on starting to get real settled. Very nice to see you and the pup getting the room situated. A dedicated space for audio is such a wonderful advantage, a true luxury really. I’m sure your sound is truly quite amazing. Nice job.

These Classic Audio speakers really bring a whole nother dimension to a life like reproduction of a performance. I love Mine.

I just might have to give the Tungars a chance. Glad they have made a substantial contribution for you.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Congratulations on starting to get real settled. Very nice to see you and the pup getting the room situated. A dedicated space for audio is such a wonderful advantage, a true luxury really. I’m sure your sound is truly quite amazing. Nice job.

These Classic Audio speakers really bring a whole nother dimension to a life like reproduction of a performance. I love Mine.

I just might have to give the Tungars a chance. Glad they have made a substantial contribution for you.
Are you going to make it to Capital AUDIO Fest? It starts today, 10 November through Sunday 12 November. I am heading there in a short while. Classic Audio Loudspeakers will have a great demonstration.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Are you going to make it to Capital AUDIO Fest? It starts today, 10 November through Sunday 12 November. I am heading there in a short while. Classic Audio Loudspeakers will have a great demonstration.
Flying into Detroit today. Unfortunately can’t make CAF this year. Just too much going on. We’ll have to catch up another time. Enjoy

Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Flying into Detroit today. Unfortunately can’t make CAF this year. Just too much going on. We’ll have to catch up another time. Enjoy
Spent a good part of the day at the show. The T1.5s with the Tungar power supplies sounded absolutely superb. Going back tomorrow to discuss business.
We should connect sometime this year.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Spent a good part of the day at the show. The T1.5s with the Tungar power supplies sounded absolutely superb. Going back tomorrow to discuss business.
We should connect sometime this year.
Do you guys know how many volt amps the Classis Audio tungar supplies are rated at. If possible would you be able to ask tomorrow, good luck with them… think they look fantastic and much thanks in advance.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Do you guys know how many volt amps the Classis Audio tungar supplies are rated at. If possible would you be able to ask tomorrow, good luck with them… think they look fantastic and much thanks in advance.
I will check. This is good information that any Tungar owner should know. I am sure that I was told but forgot. I am out of state for work so can’t look on my own Tungar power supplies.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thats
I will check. This is good information that any Tungar owner should know. I am sure that I was told but forgot. I am out of state for work so can’t look on my own Tungar power supplies.
That’s great thanks audioquest4life, much appreciated.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Thats

That’s great thanks audioquest4life, much appreciated.
Here is what I got from John when I asked this question a few months ago

“Standard is 28VDC+/- 2Amps+/- for Woofer side.

20VDC+/-1.75 Amps+/- High side

This can be somewhat modified if you require something else.

We also make a Giant 6Bulb unit for larger applications.

Let me know your specific requirements

John”

JOHN WOLFF

CLASSIC AUDIO LOUDSPEAKERS

5115 RED FOX DR.

BRIGHTON, MI. 48114

810 229-5191

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Many thanks Glide3,
I’m hoping to find out the maximum total volt amps that the supplies are rated at to see if 2 x tungar units are in the ballpark for powering field coil woofers that I’m considering using for an OB project.

This looks like 91 volt amps is the range required for the Classic Audio speakers but will check if that’s also the maximum one supply can deliver.

I’ll wait to see what Audioquest4life found out and look to discuss it more with John if it looks at all possible… this is just an initial inquiry as I’m just in the early stage looking at options for something that I’ve been thinking about for a while and things are just still forming up including how many field coil drivers I may plan to go for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glide3

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Many thanks Glide3,
I’m hoping to find out the maximum total volt amps that the supplies are rated at to see if 2 x tungar units are in the ballpark for powering field coil woofers that I’m considering using for an OB project.

This looks like 91 volt amps is the range required for the Classic Audio speakers but will check if that’s also the maximum one supply can deliver.

I’ll wait to see what Audioquest4life found out and look to discuss it more with John if it looks at all possible… this is just an initial inquiry as I’m just in the early stage looking at options for something that I’ve been thinking about for a while and things are just still forming up including how many field coil drivers I may plan to go for.
Good day. I spoke with John about the Tungar power supplies current draw. While he does not recall the exact current draw from the wall for the entire unit, he did state that the woofer side of the Tungar power power supply has roughly a 4 amp draw on the woofer section and 2 amps on the mid/tweeter side.

Looking at the back of the Tungar power supply, the fuse holder has the amp rating so that can be used as the potential overall amperage draw. Unfortunately, I did not take a close up of that section so can’t tell from the pics. When I return from a business trip next week, I will look at the fuse rating and the internal power supply rating and post the information. Additionally, I will plug in my voltage/amp meter to see what the actual current draw is from the wall. I will do this test sequentially, first with the woofer power switch on and then the midrange power switch. Also, John mentioned the current draw is higher for the woofers because it is powering 2 field coil woofer Magnets. For the T 1.5 reference, this means a 18“ woofer and a 15” woofer are each being supplied by the woofer (4 amp) section of the Tungar power supply. So, roughly 2 amp draw for each woofer, probably the 18” slightly more and the 15” slightly less. To be accurate, this would entail additional measurements and opening the back panel.

1699807763506.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Good day. I spoke with John about the Tungar power supplies current draw. While he does not recall the exact current draw from the wall for the entire unit, he did state that the woofer side of the Tungar power power supply has roughly a 4 amp draw on the woofer section and 2 amps on the mid/tweeter side.

Looking at the back of the Tungar power supply, the fuse holder has the amp rating so that can be used as the potential overall amperage draw. Unfortunately, I did not take a close up of that section so can’t tell from the pics. When I return from a business trip next week, I will look at the fuse rating and the internal power supply rating and post the information. Additionally, I will plug in my voltage/amp meter to see what the actual current draw is from the wall. I will do this test sequentially, first with the woofer power switch on and then the midrange power switch. Also, John mentioned the current draw is higher for the woofers because it is powering 2 field coil woofer Magnets. For the T 1.5 reference, this means a 18“ woofer and a 15” woofer are each being supplied by the woofer (4 amp) section of the Tungar power supply. So, roughly 2 amp draw for each woofer, probably the 18” slightly more and the 15” slightly less. To be accurate, this would entail additional measurements and opening the back panel.

View attachment 119810
Thank you for all of this. I had been thinking John might just have had this info off the top of his head but also didn’t want to bother him while he was caught up in doing the show.

That is genuinely very kind of you to follow through but if it becomes at all involved please there is no immediate hurry for me so while it would be great if you do get an idea of what the draw is when you are home that’s awesome but honestly I can wait till John is back from the audio show. I’ll send a message to John to ask a bit more about this and also about the other larger 6 bulb tungar supply unit that Glide mentioned. I think I saw pics of one of these as well somewhere online when I was searching about John’s tungsten supplies.

So thanks again. Great gear you have and it’s much very much appreciated that you checked in with John on my behalf. Look forwards to reading more about your system and your classic audio speakers. Very cool gear.

Reactions: audioquest4life

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Here is what I got from John when I asked this question a few months ago

“Standard is 28VDC+/- 2Amps+/- for Woofer side.

20VDC+/-1.75 Amps+/- High side

This can be somewhat modified if you require something else.

We also make a Giant 6Bulb unit for larger applications.

Let me know your specific requirements

John”

JOHN WOLFF

CLASSIC AUDIO LOUDSPEAKERS

5115 RED FOX DR.

BRIGHTON, MI. 48114

810 229-5191
Apparently John’s Tungars are driving the field-coils today much higher VDC then what he recommended for my T3.4 and (x4) BK Precision SS to drive at (The Mid Driver will draw approx.. 1.25 Amps at 15 VDC. The 2 Woofers will Draw approx.. 2.75- 3 Amps at 18 VDC). This was his thinking back on 6/20/23 yet the amperage is not that far off. (and as we have spoke about earlier in this thread, current may be the important component here). Also perhaps there is a diff 15” to 18” woofer thing too.

It is interesting how the Tungar VDC vs amps is so different then the solid state supply numbers.

I also realize this is an evolutionary process.

Last edited:

CSL

Apr 22, 2012
i have a 4 way custom horn system with john's active drivers that is north of 300K Just incredible sound. so fast. and the detail and tonality made me very happy
BUT .....I saw what John had been working on for a better power supply, and because he has done incredible work with sound, and because of his great integrity, I bought a pair of his PS, and wow! Everything improved. It was apparent immediately, even to my wife who blames John for my audio poverty. The detail and resolution got even better. Way better, and i thot i was at the end of the road. but the purity and tonality was so stunning and surprising. very happy and for a modest amount of dollars. You think it can't get better?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
i have a 4 way custom horn system with john's active drivers that is north of 300K Just incredible sound. so fast. and the detail and tonality made me very happy
BUT .....I saw what John had been working on for a better power supply, and because he has done incredible work with sound, and because of his great integrity, I bought a pair of his PS, and wow! Everything improved. It was apparent immediately, even to my wife who blames John for my audio poverty. The detail and resolution got even better. Way better, and i thot i was at the end of the road. but the purity and tonality was so stunning and surprising. very happy and for a modest amount of dollars. You think it can't get better?
300K ? John's drivers are very reasonably priced. I paid $10K for a pair of 4" midrange and a pair of 15" woofers.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I thought that field coil speaker magnets being powered by external power supplies do not change the fact that the speaker is typically a passive crossover. An active crossover will mean that separate power amplification can be used for the tweeter, mids and bass. That’s my simplified statement. More technical is that an active crossover is a device that modifies an audio signal before the amplifier. It works on line-level or preamp signals only. Active crossovers combine op-amps, resistors and capacitors to alter different frequency ranges of the signal. Unlike passive networks, active crossovers can be designed to increase the level of the signal, but only in the case of powered filters. Active networks often include other functions, such as remote level controls and bass, mid, and high frequency boost circuits.

I am assuming in your custom speaker system build that you adopted John’s drivers and made them active. Can you explain your process? Sounds very interesting. John did mention that someone had bought his drivers for a custom build system during the Capital Audio Fest. Perhaps this was you that he was talking about.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing